Other Actors In Wayne Roles

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,155 times. The latest Post () was by ColeThornton.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I Always Thought That A Actor From The Past Could Have Played Rooster C. I'am Thinking Of Wallace Berry, Or Tom Selleck As Hondo Lane. Anyone Else?

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• How about Gary Cooper as Waynes character in Allegheny Uprising? or better still, Cooper as Sergeant Stryker in Sands of Iwo Jima.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Bill,

This is a very interesting topic you have introduced. I'm really intrigued by the thought of other actors in different JW roles, but haven't come up with one, yet. But every time I scan the thread title, it gets my brain to churning . . . I'm sure I'll be back with some thoughts.

Thanks for starting this!

Ringo, I haven't seen Gary Cooper in too many roles, but the ones I have seen make me think that I can't imagine him gritting his teeth and pointing a rifle at a soldier and snarling at him that if killing him is what he has to do, he'll do it, like Sgt. Stryker. Not that John Wayne is mean, but he does a good job of ACTING mean.

Does that make sense?

Chester :newyear:

• Chester! I Agree With You Somewhat About Gary Cooper,but He Did Make Some Fine Westerns. Iam Thinking Of A Flick He Made With A Young Burt Lancaster Called Vera Cruz. VEry Good Supporting Cast, Keep Trying To Think Of Other Actors In Wayne Roles Good Luck.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• The only remake that come's to mind that has already been made was Stagecoach with Alex Cord playing John Wayn's character. He did a ok job, nothing great though, I enjoyed Bing Cosby and Ann Margret more then him.

As far as who could play one of Duke's roles in a movie. How about Harrison Ford in "The Comancheros" or "North To Alaska"? Or Mel Gibson in "The Green Berets" or "In Harm's Way" ?

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• How about Bruce Willis playing Stryker in Sands of Iwo Jima?

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• How about Gary Cooper as Waynes character in Allegheny Uprising? or better still, Cooper as Sergeant Stryker in Sands of Iwo Jima.

Ringo, I don't think 'ole Coop was mean & nasty enough to play Stryker. I doubt it would have worked.

Chester! I Agree With You Somewhat About Gary Cooper,but He Did Make Some Fine Westerns. Iam Thinking Of A Flick He Made With A Young Burt Lancaster Called Vera Cruz. VEry Good Supporting Cast, Keep Trying To Think Of Other Actors In Wayne Roles Good Luck.

Interesting that you mention Vera Cruz, I've always thought Duke would have been a natural in the Burt Lancaster role there.

Okay, I'm gonna spit some words out and see where they splatter.

What about Clint Eastwood in The Searchers?

I believe Duke himself said that if Eastwood had found Natalie Wood at the end of The Searchers, he would have shot her. Eastwood was alright at playing a one-dimensional, nasty SOB, but he didn't have the emotional depth and range Duke brought to the role, IMHO.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• This is one that's taken a lot of thought for me. Visually, Tom Selleck would work in a couple roles, I guess. I love the roles he has played. Robert Duvall is another of my favorites, but, he cannot begin to bring what JW does to a part, although I can say the same about another actor attempting to bring what Duvall does to what I have seen him in. From a woman's perspective, and in my mind, Duke's eyes and body language could do many things that I have not seen from other actor's. And maybe it's the fact that the very sight of him stops my heart...His eye's could comfort, instill fear, bring a smile, inspire, and for the woman, without a touch, make you feel as if you'd melt before him. Clint Eastwood was very handsome, and had a boyish charm that maybe only a woman could see. Still, I really only liked his western's. My point is, I am still working on this one....:stunned:

Cindy

• Hi Jim, Sue, Bill, EJ and all,

Jim/Sue, Bill, EJ, he did a great job of Portraying Sergeant York as well as was a bit of an ornery character in Vera Cruz. Also, watch him in both Springfield Rifle (Fess Parker's debut btw) and Wreck of the MAry Deare--in which he really was good at playing a sorta bad guy. Oh and, watch him in The General Died at Dawn, Lives of a Bengal Lancer and Beau Geste--those might change you mind on whether he can be Sgt Stryker or not :wink_smile:

As far as I know, DDDVD still sells the Gary Cooper Collection. Five movies for less than $20.00. Watch those and you will see what I mean ;-))

Oh and for good measure--watch him in The Adventures of Marco Polo. Coop can get nasty if he wants to.:teeth_smile:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Cooper was originally supposed to play Thomas Dunson and he could have done that. At 45 he was closer to the age of the character than Wayne, plus it would have allowed him to tap into his dark side in the same way he later did with Man of the West and The Hanging Tree.

Spencer Tracy was originally intended for The High and the Mighty, at 53 he would have looked the right age whereas at 46 Duke looked a little young.