I had to share this with you all

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,710 times. The latest Post () was by SXViper.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi all,

I just had to come on and share this one.

I just got a new TV at the weekend, it's
    one of those 42" HD LCD things, anyway,
    I told my wife that the first thing that I was
    going to do when I had it set up was watch
    a John Wayne movie on it. I had in mind to
    watch "THE QUEIT MAN". It took a wee
    whlie to set it up, we had to set up the cable
    and the DVD recorder. AS we were tuning
    the channels the first one to come up was
    Channel 5, and the first face I saw on the
    screen was no other that that of the great
    man himself, they were showing "CHISUM".
    I couldn't believe it, nor could my wife, it was
    just so apporoprite that the Duke should be
    the first face to show up on that big screen.
    Needless to say I sat down and watched the
    end of the movie, then "THE QUEIT MAN"
    which was followed by the "THE SEARCHERS"
    Now that was a great day's TV.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• What are the chances of that, eh? Ol' Duke christened your set for you.:teeth_smile:

I can't afford one of those new fangled TVs just yet, but if I ever do get one, The Searchers is the movie I will watch first on it. I think that visually, it will blow me away. Monument Valley in high def? Can't get much better than that!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I hope you have access to HD channels. They have put out about a half dozen of Duke's movies in HD and I will tell you the picture is amazing. I've watched, McLintock, The Searchers, Rio Bravo, El Dorado, Red River and The Shootist. All on HDNetMovies channel. I couldn't take my eyes away from the screen.

• :thumbs_up: What a great way to break in your new TV set :teeth_smile: About 2 years ago, I bought a portable dvd player, and the first movie I watched on it was John Wayne in The Longest Day. I was complimented by the folks sitting at the table next to mine while playing it. We all watched it while waiting for our orders to arrive.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• HD TV's are the best for watching Duke movies in all ther glory. I also echo DS recommendation, if possible get HDNet movies package and then you can watch those movies he has listed and maybe more in the future.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi all,

I'm just waiting for my new HD box
    from sky, they have a movie channel
    and a sports channel in HD, which should
    be good as the new football season starts
    in about 5 weeks.

I'm not sure about starting a new movie collection
    in HD, I'm sitting with 2 has it is, VHS and DVD.
    I'll wait a while and see just what they release.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Yeah, if you try to keep up with the industry you can go broke. But if you just buy a upconvert DVD player you can still watch your regular DVD's in as close to HD as you can get. Or just buy a HD DVD or BLU Ray player and they will upconvert your regular DVD's as well.

-John Wayne

• Here is a technical explanation of what upconverting does:

Some DVD players can upconvert DVD signals to HD or near-HD quality, and send them to a compatible TV via digital video connections. HDMI (High-Definition Media Interface) and DVI (Digital Visual Interface) both offer high-quality digital transmission of standard- and high-definition video signals. HDMI can also carry multichannel audio, and is backwards compatible with DVI (video only).

To upconvert you must use the HDMI or DVI cables, if you use component, S-video or RCA connections you might as well stay with a normal DVD player, but if your TV has HMDI or DVI connections then you may want to give it a shot. Also it will upconvert a normal DVD which is 480p resolution to 720p/1080i. These conversion numbers vary depending on what player you buy. I think I saw that the Samsung players also did 768p. I have a upconvert dvd player and like the picture. I am waiting, patiently I might add, for the HD DVD or Blu-Ray players to come down in price though.

-John Wayne