Any (American) football fans here?

There are 544 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 143,221 times. The latest Post () was by Rooster52.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The Patriots - Giants game was awesome.:hyper: I was afraid that the Giants might lay down on this one, but they came out swinging.I told the Mrs. that they needed to spread the lead they had befor the 4th quarter started, because Brady usually owns the 4th. As you can see, that's what happened. But the Giants have no reason to hang their heads. Great game all around!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• What a way to end a year!!!! The Tigers won a squeaker and beat the Tigers 23-20 overtime in Atlanta. Just to clerify, that is the Auburn Tigers beating the Clemson Tigers. And the Titans winning Sunday, but that was a boring game and looked as if the Colts gave it away. But it does get them to the playoffs.

Oh, did I tell you that the SEC is (4-0) so far, so you guys today keep the streak going (Tennessee, Arkansas, Florida and Georgia).

SEC Rules!

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Well, here we go....My Dawgs are about to take on the offensive juggernaut that is Hawaii. My heart is really in my throat right now.

GO DAWGS!!!!!

Stay thirsty my friends.

• gt - your dawgs looked awesome! I was rooting for Hawaii myself - my wife's mother was from there - and we had been following their progress through the season. Looks like they just went flat on this occasion. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• Congratulations gt for the great game. The Dawgs are unstoppable. A good way to tell people that you are going after the national championship.

It looked too easy big guy.

And what about that West Virginia game. What's going on with Oklahoma? They can't win a bowl. That's 4 in a row.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I never root for Oklahoma - They are Texas' big rivals. I have to say that West Virginia looked awesome!

Well, Jay - looks like we're on opposite sides of the fence here. I was born in East Texas (many moons ago) but spent my formative years in Southern Oklahoma and became an avid OU fan in 1948 while listening on the radio when OU beat the Horns for the first time in my life (I was 10 years old then). Bud Wilkinson was the new head coach for OU then.

I'll have to admit though that the Mountaineers totally dominated the Sooners last night. That WV quarterback made Sam Bradford look bad and Bradford, going into the game, had the best stats of any college QB..

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Well, Jay - looks like we're on opposite sides of the fence here. I was born in East Texas (many moons ago) but spent my formative years in Southern Oklahoma and became an avid OU fan in 1948 while listening on the radio when OU beat the Horns for the first time in my life (I was 10 years old then). Bud Wilkinson was the new head coach for OU then.

I'll have to admit though that the Mountaineers totally dominated the Sooners last night. That WV quarterback made Sam Bradford look bad and Bradford, going into the game, had the best stats of any college QB..

Stumpy, thanks for that info. I actually thought that Colt Brennan had the best stats but he hadn't played against a team like Georgia. I really think that (other than USC), we have the best college team going into 2008.

Now onto the BCS. They really did it again. Everyone wanted to see Ga vs. USC and look what we got. A Rose Bowl that wasn't worth watching and the Sugar Bowl which was over after the first quarter. Somebody please tell me when we will have a playoff in college football so we can see who the real champion is. HOW 'BOUT THEM DAWGS!!!!!

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Somebody please tell me when we will have a playoff in college football so we can see who the real champion is.

Sure do agree with that. According to what I've read, the big dogs who run the bowls don't want to see a change because the current system makes too much money for the cities where the bowls are located. As always, it's all about the mighty greenback, never mind the fans.

• The Rose Bowl has a lock with the Pac 10 and the Big 10. There was talk of a Ga/USC match up but the Rose Bowl didn't want it. So we got, well, you know the rest of the story.

The Sugar Bowl isn't much better. The SEC has a lock for one spot with any other opponent. Like the Orange Bowl having The Big 12. Unitl they unlock their Bowls we'll have these sorry matchups. No offense to Hawaii, they deserve to play in the BCS. But we know they don't play anyone, so that says a lot.

Looks like a great matchup in the Orange Bowl right now. Virginia Tech just scored on a punt return on Knasas and the score in the 3rd Quarter is 17-14 Kansas.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

- John Wayne quote

• Now that was a good game last night with Kansas and Virginia Tech, 24-21. The SEC is 6-2, so that's pretty good and the big game is Monday for the National Championship. I am for LSU for that National Championship just because of the SEC, and I am not a fan of Ohio State and the Big 10. How are they doing in the bowl record?

The NFL starts tomorrow. Titans all the way or at least this weekend against San Diego. And I am pulling for the Redskins agains Seattle. Long shots for the two, but I am an underdog fan (not the movie or cartoon).

- John Wayne quote

• Now that was a good game last night with Kansas and Virginia Tech, 24-21. The SEC is 6-2, so that's pretty good and the big game is Monday for the National Championship. I am for LSU for that National Championship just because of the SEC, and I am not a fan of Ohio State and the Big 10. How are they doing in the bowl record?

The NFL starts tomorrow. Titans all the way or at least this weekend against San Diego. And I am pulling for the Redskins agains Seattle. Long shots for the two, but I am an underdog fan (not the movie or cartoon).

What's really ironic is that two of Bob Stoops (OU head coach) former assistants, who are now head coaches at Kansas and Texas Tech, won their bowl games while Stoops lost his. In fact, Coach Leach at Texas Tech was one of only two coaches to beat Stoops during the regular season.

Oh well, there's always next year. :teeth_smile:

• What's really ironic is that two of Bob Stoops (OU head coach) former assistants, who are now head coaches at Kansas and Texas Tech, won their bowl games while Stoops lost his. In fact, Coach Leach at Texas Tech was one of only two coaches to beat Stoops during the regular season.

Oh well, there's always next year. :teeth_smile:

I'm not saying that OU is not a good or even great team, but I can't figure why they are not able to play in the bowl game. Maybe it's the time between the regular season and the bowl game. It is basically a month between time, which is a big complaint to me. But everyone has that issue as well. As a matter of fact, I don't think we see the best football because of such a long break. It's like having to recondition yourself for the beginning of the season. You see the common mistakes you see at the beginning of the season to get adjusted to the team.

Oh well, just venting out my complaint with the system we have in college football.

- John Wayne quote

• I can't figure why they are not able to play in the bowl game.

It's true they haven't done well in their bowl games for the past 3 or 4 years but they've won far more bowl games than they've lost. Not only that but even during the past 3 or 4 years, they've managed to get to a BCS bowl, which I think pays about 17 million to both the winning and losing teams. So Stoops is at least making the university money, even losing the games.

• It's true they haven't done well in their bowl games for the past 3 or 4 years but they've won far more bowl games than they've lost. Not only that but even during the past 3 or 4 years, they've managed to get to a BCS bowl, which I think pays about 17 million to both the winning and losing teams. So Stoops is at least making the university money, even losing the games.

Ture, very true. I must admit that your right about both. Someday, it might bit him though. Not a bad payday.

Tell me, stumpy, does the Big 12 get the money to distrubite to all the schools? They do in the SEC.

- John Wayne quote

• The NFL playoffs are going on. Just watched the conclusion of the Pittsburgh/Jacksonville game. Down to the wire with a Jaguars victory 31-29. And Seattle going to the next round from the afternoon in an easier game. Didn't see that one.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

- John Wayne quote

• My Titans lost today, but that's alright. I didn't expect too much, and I have to say that they had a pretty good season and hopefully will build on that. So go Chargers as they play the Colts. And the Giants won to get to play the Cowboys. The other games next week is the Seahawks playing the Packers, and the Steelers playing the Patriots. Should be a great weekend of football.

- John Wayne quote