Any (American) football fans here?

There are 544 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 143,358 times. The latest Post () was by Rooster52.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• It's funny, as a transplanted Okie who grew up with the example of the Sooners to inspire me, I used to spend entire weekends doing nothing but watching football. Thirty years ago, there was no way you could have pried me away from in front of that screen on football weekends. I mean, I personified the word fan(atic).

One time, when my beloved Sooners lost a game in the last few seconds to USC, I threw a glass right through the screen of a very nice console TV. Had to go out the next day and buy a new one.

And not only was I a rabid Sooner fan, I was almost as crazy about the Cowboys. (This was back when Staubach and Landry represented "America's Team".)

But anymore, I don't get nearly as excited about the game. Even when the Sooners lose, as they did in the Fiesta Bowl last week, I shrug it off. Hell, life goes on and I've come to believe that there are far more important things in life than who wins or loses football games.

Guess this is part of growing old. Old?........I'm ancient. :cry2:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy

That's the attitude I'm trying to get right now. I can remember when Atlanta was playing Minnesota in the NFC Championship. It got to the point my wife told me that she was going to her mother's and she would be back after that game was over. The Super Bowl, however, I was in another state for my job so she didn't hafta worry about that.

A few nights ago, and bless my wife's heart, I don't know how she slept when the Dawgs were playing Hawaii. I stayed up til 1 a.m. watching that game and had to be at work 5 a.m. sharp. It took me two days to get over that, but needless to say, I WELCOME the 2008 season as I think my dawgs will have a good year.

Or maybe I'm just too addicted to the game.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• It got to the point my wife told me that she was going to her mother's and she would be back after that game was over.

Apparently my former enthusiasm for the game rubbed off on my wife because she's now a big football fan. (we've been married 48 years so she had plenty of time to absorb that attitude). And as a former fraulein, she knew nothing at all about American football before we married. But nowadays, she often watches football all weekend while I'm doing other things. :teeth_smile:

• Hello All,
    There is only one game of Football, it is played with a round ball and is played in most countries of the world. My team is Tottenham Hotspurs (Spurs) which is one of the oldest teams in any competition. I have supported them since 1947 when my uncle took me to see them play. I have good discussions with my newsagent who supports Pompey.
    Regards
    Redcap

RACMP - For the troops With the troops

• There is only one game of Football, it is played with a round ball and is played in most countries of the world.

If it comforts you to think that, cling to that thought. But there are millions of American football fans who'll give you a serious argument about the veracity of your statement.

• Ordinarily, I'd be watching too but all of these bowl games have gotten so durn saturated with commercials that the enjoyment of watching football no longer resides in my soul. Hell, they show more commercials than football.

I started watching the OU-WV game the other night but turned it off after about 10 minutes because I got so sick of commercials. Pro games are almost as bad anymore.

• I was rooting for LSU too! The first few minutes of the game, it looked like Ohio State was going to run all over them, but then LSU started clicking and that was all they rote.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• DID YOU SEE THE NFL GAMES TODAY!!!!!!!

Now that is the way to play football. In the snow and in the cold. It was exciting to see the playoffs today, and seeing the Packers playing the Seahawks reminds me that football was meant to be played. The game was exciting and I know a blowout. And the Patriots and the Jaguars in the nightcap was a better game. That was a pretty good game until the end.

Tomorrow will be good too. Looks like the wild cards are not going to the championship.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Packers & Seahawks in the driving snow, now that's football played the way I remembered it in my youth!!

Did you by any chance see the so-called Ice Bowl, Kevin?

That was the 1967 game between the Packers and Cowboys, played in Green Bay, and temperature at game time was 12 degrees. If I remember correctly, Vince Lombardi was the GB coach and it was a playoff game. Best football game I've ever seen. GB won but it was a lot closer than most people expected.

• Did you by any chance see the so-called Ice Bowl, Kevin?

That was the 1967 game between the Packers and Cowboys, played in Green Bay, and temperature at game time was 12 degrees. If I remember correctly, Vince Lombardi was the GB coach and it was a playoff game. Best football game I've ever seen. GB won but it was a lot closer than most people expected.

I said 12 degrees - according to this, it was 13 below zero. Now that is cold. And yet the two teams played, like I said, one of the best football games I've ever seen.

I was in Denver then and we had some cold, snowy weather but nothing like Green Bay, Wisconsin at that time of the year.

• Did you by any chance see the so-called Ice Bowl, Kevin?

Never got to see that one, 1967 was just a couple of years before my time. :wink_smile: