Totally oddball news stories

There are 11 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,435 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• where else but in india would monkeys be protected to this measure, surely moving them out would not offend their gods, if they stopped cutting down the trees maybe they wouldnt have this problem

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Another reason I found this story so humorous is that years ago, a local country and western music radio station that I listen to occasionally had an older gentlemen, who billed himself as "Deacon Brown" from some Baptist church in the area. He would come up with a bunch of funny comments that kept the audience laughing, and one particular story was about monkeys, and his comment was, "I don't want you livin' with dirty, stinkin' monkeys!" I think of that line every time the subject of monkeys comes up.

Chester :newyear:

• where else but in india would monkeys be protected to this measure, surely moving them out would not offend their gods, if they stopped cutting down the trees maybe they wouldnt have this problem cheers smokey

Very astute point, smokey. I like your observation.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I almost hesitate to put this in this thread, as it seems somewhat disrespectful, but I don't know where else to put it.

Prepare to be humbled . . .

The link below is to a video that is about 13 minutes long, and unapologetically evangelical. However, it is also astounding . . . and after watching it, you will most likely have trouble complaining about very much in your life . . .

Nick Vujicic

I am absolutely blown away! What an amazing young man!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Man in light shooting hands out bears

HUH?!? The headline alone qualifies the above story for this thread. I HAD to read it, just to see what it was about.

And this next one doesn't qualify for oddball, but it is a bright light in the midst of tragedy.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• At the car wash. A true story

Bill owns a company that manufactures and installs car wash systems. Bill's company installed a car wash system in Freder ick, Md. Now, understand that these are complete systems, including the money changer and money taking machines.

The problem started when the new owner complained to Bill that he was losing significant amounts of money from his coin machines each week.

He went as far as to accuse Bill's employees of having a key to the boxes and ripping him off. Bill just couldn't believe that his people would do that, so they setup a camera to catch the thief in action. Well, they did catch him on film!

bird1.jpg
    That's a bird sitting on the change slot of the machine.
    bird2.jpg
    The bird had to go down into the machine, and back up inside to get to the money!

bird3.jpg
    That's three quarters he has in his beak! Another amazing thing is that it was not just one bird -- there were several working together. Once they identified the thieves, they found over $4000 in quarters on the roof of the car wash and more under a nearby tree.
    bird4.jpg
    And you thought you heard of everything by now!! !!

And to think the phrase 'bird brain' is associated with being dumb. Not these birds. Share the story!!

I received the above in an email this morning, and was intrigued by it. We Googled it, and found "the rest of the story" at About.com -

[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]It happened at a car wash in Fredericksburg, Virginia, not Frederick, Maryland, and the "thieves" didn't make off with anywhere near $4,000 worth of quarters. However, minor discrepancies notwithstanding, the story you have just read is true. [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Rob Ridings, longtime owner of the Shop & Wash car wash where the incident took place, vouched for its authenticity in an interview with the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star in November 2005. [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]As Ridings tells it, the saga began when he arrived at work one morning in May 1995 to find quarters strewn around the parking lot. At first he thought someone had broken into the vending machines on the property, but the locks were still intact. When he discovered bits of straw and weeds in the coin slot of the money changer the next day, it dawned on him that the culprits might not be human. [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica] He returned with his camera and succeeded in snapping about 18 pictures of the burglars — a small flock of starlings, as it turned out — emptying coins out of the machine so they could build a nest in the change cup. "They were working as a gang," Ridings told the Free Lance-Star. "It was just fun to actually see it going on." [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]After trying various methods to discourage them, he finally succeeded by stuffing a cloth into the coin chute. Unable to remove it, the birds eventually gave up and never returned. [/FONT]

• As usual, the perps look like grackles. I hate those damned birds. Everywhere you find them, they seem to drive away the prettier songbirds.

De gustibus non est disputandum