Liam Neeson

There are 61 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 17,993 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi ALL,
    Do you know Liam Neeson,actor from N.Ireland.
    He said answering the Japanese reporter"In childhood,I like the western films,
    and i'ma big fan of Audie Murphy"
    His next film"Seraphim Falls"is set in the civil war.
    Actor from Australia Russel Crowe,He also appeared in "3:10 to Yuma"
    Dream of the non american actor seems somehow starring in the western film?

Regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Liam said long ago his dream was to make a Western. He also talked about what a kick he and Pierce got being two Irish boys in the old west.

John Ford would have loved him. Irish, tall, good actor.

• Liam said long ago his dream was to make a Western. He also talked about what a kick he and Pierce got being two Irish boys in the old west.

John Ford would have loved him. Irish, tall, good actor.

Maybe so, but I didn't think much of Liam's "Western". Now Russell made a pretty decent one in the 3:10 remake.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I have never liked Liam Neeson, he is painfully overrated as an actor and some of the movies he has appeared in were not to my liking e.g. "The Phantom Menace," and "Gangs of New York,". I certainly wont be rushing to watch him in a western playing his usual patronising character.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I have never liked Liam Neeson, he is painfully overrated as an actor and some of the movies he has appeared in were not to my liking e.g. "The Phantom Menace," and "Gangs of New York,". I certainly wont be rushing to watch him in a western playing his usual patronising character.

Not that im defending Neesen, I thought he was pretty good as Patrick Swayze's older Brother in: Next of Kin. Other than that, I can't recall what other movies I saw him in except for Shindler's List-which I thought sucked prune pits.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Rob,
    Neeson wasn't bad at all in this film. And it's the only movie in which I've ever seen Steve Martin that I liked.

It bears more than a passing resemblance to "Elmer Gantry".

• I think he's a terrific actor who's either made bad choices or hasn't gotten offered the good roles. I liked the first 2/3 of Seraphim Falls but it fell apart in the end.

• I agree with you, may2. I love Liam Neeson. And that Seraphim Falls was great except for the way it ended. I disagree with you, Ringo. I thought Schindlers List was a very powerful film and well done by Laim. But I do agree he did well as the older brother in Next Of Kin. I liked him in Nell and Kingdom of Heaven. He may not have made a lot of great movies, but his ability as an actor is ,IMO, way better than average.

If you don't mind me asking, Ringo, what was it about Schindlers List that you thought sucked prune pits? That movie moved me and tore at my heart. I'm just curious.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• In Japan,Liam's popularity is rising. but, "Seraphim Falls"or "3:10 to Yuma"
    both is not yet shown.
    "The Assassination of Jesse James"was finaly shown in this January,
    but entering of the visitors does not seem to be good.
    Sadly, Most Japanese don't seem hungry for Western Movie any more!
    :cry2:

Regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Unfortunately, it's that way in the states also.

Stumpy,

I don't fully agree with you. I think that may be true in Hollyweird, but I believe that Americans are hungry for westerns. They don't make enough of them, and I hear that a lot of people want them. They do well at the beginning of their showing, but fade out quickly. That may be due to the fact that they don't make them like they use to, and are hoping that one will stand out.

Case in point, Unforgiven the Clint Eastwood film did great and was what people love about westerns. The Lonesome Dove series did real well on TV. The problem is that only a hand full of westerns have been made in the last 15 to 20 years for the big screen and that just isn't enough made for us.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I do believe that there is a hunger for westerns, but they (Hollyweird) are not interested.

As for Liam Neeson, I like him. He becomes the parts he plays. That is a great quality of an actor. You may not like the movies he plays, but you can't say that he doesn't do his part well. Robbie, he is a great asset to Ireland.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I'm not sure I agree with your assessment, Mike.

Like most rational people, the big dogs in Hollyweird want to make lots of money. (especially in Hollyweird) Therefore, I feel that if there was a big demand for Westerns, they'd be making more of them so they could fill all those theaters. Since they're only making an occasional oater (even though several good ones have been made in the past few years), I think the powers-that-be in the major studios have decided the demand is not all that great.

Also, let's face it, actors of the caliber we saw in the great Westerns of the past (Duke, Jimmy Stewart, Burt Lancaster, etc) no longer exist. I can think of very few actors nowadays who manage to do well in Western films........Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner are about it, IMO.

• Stumpy,

I will concede to you that the caliber of great Western actors no longer exist. How can you top John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, Kirk Douglas, etc? I don't know, but I'd like to think that others can be found, maybe not like those listed. I do believe that there is a demand out there.

Do you really think that the movies of today is what people are asking for? Box office receipts are down for the 4th or 5th straight year and let's face it, movies are crap right now. The biggest box office hits are computer cartoons.

We still have Duke in the top 10 favorite actors in the Harris Poll and no one has been listed, except for Duke every year it's been poll for the last 14 years. His movies are still coming on TV at least twice a week and as much as 7 times a week. I don't see Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, or Clint Eastwood on that many times. And I've seen Westerns on TV, if I had to guess at least a dozen times a week. Do you think that TV would show only what people want if they don't like westerns?

You may be right. There are the big wigs who want to make money, and they are not making westerns. Robert Duvall at the Emmy's last fall talked about the need for Westerns, and everybody needing to make them again. He is a person who thinks Westerns will make a come back. We'll have to wait and see how the mini-series made out on the ratings from last week if your theory is right.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• As for Liam Neeson, I like him. He becomes the parts he plays. That is a great quality of an actor. You may not like the movies he plays, but you can't say that he doesn't do his part well. Robbie, he is a great asset to Ireland.

America gets John Wayne and Northern Ireland gets Liam Neeson, I think somehow we have been short changed.

To be perfectly honest I have not been impressed with any of the actors to have come from Northern Ireland, to find some good actors on this side of the pond I would look to the mainland and at present my favourite actor would be the great David Jason.

Regards
    Robbie

• I think Ben Foster, the kid who played Crowe's murderous second in "3:10 To Yuma" has a bright future in the movies. He played that part to chilling perfection.

• Today's westerns are so bleak and downbeat. Ford and Hawks always had some sort of comic relief. Silverado is my favorite western made in the last 25 years.

• America gets John Wayne and Northern Ireland gets Liam Neeson, I think somehow we have been short changed. . . . . . . . . . . . . . :agent:

Now Robbie,

Your're comparing apples to oranges. No one can size up to Duke, no one can.

Duke had the courage to shoot on your beautiful island, and made me and many others yearn to come for a visit. And by the way, you do have Maureen O'Hara, and she is one awesome lady, and the best in my opinion for actresses. So maybe we've been short changed on the lady's side :wink_smile:.

- John Wayne quote