Outside of Duke, which stars do you miss the most? Dead or alive.

There are 46 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,842 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I got to thinking about this last night and I was wondering which actors/actresses, (outside of Duke, of course) that some of you miss. They can be long since not living or they can be among the living but who, for one reason or another, no are no longer; making any movies. I would like to see up to ten choices (or really whomever you want to list) made.

Hres a few of mine:

1) Richard Basehart.
    2) Anthony Quinn.
    3) Burt Lancaster.
    4) Richard Widmark.
    5) Sir John Mills.
    6) Trevor Howard.
    7) Errol Flynn.
    8) Charlton Heston.
    9) Richard Burton.
    10) James Francis Cagney.

A few I miss as much of the above but not on my always changing list are:

Roger Moore, Sean Connery, Humphrey Bogart, Ronald Reagan, Pat O'Brien, Spencer Tracy, Redd Fox, Louis Gosset Jr, Alfonso Bedoya, Pedro Gonzalez-Gonzalez, Pedro Armendariez, Christopher Reeve, James Whitmore Sr, Fess Parker, Klaus Lowitsch, Kurt Jurgens, Oskar Werner, Hans-Christian Blech, James Coburn, Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin, Bruce Bennett, James Stewart, Gregory Peck, Steve Forrest and John Candy.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Boy Carl that is really hard to rank, so I'll just mention a few.

I do miss the most Jimmy Stewart.

How can you not miss Bob Hope.

The current ones would be John Belushi, and John Candy.

I remember when Bing Crosby passed away, and enjoyed his Christmas specials he did. And really miss Johnny Carson; late night has never been the same since Johnny left the scene. And though he wasn't really a star, he was a celebrity and to me that counts.

I really liked Brian Keith, too.

I draw a blank right now. It's funny that I can't think of a woman who has passed that I really missed. I noticed that you to Carl didn't mention one either.

I put some more thought and get back with you.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• for me i wish these were still around.
    jimmy stewart
    burt lancaster
    gregory peck
    sammy davis jr
    dean martin
    and the man frank sinatra
    almost forgot steve mcqueen

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Unbelievable - four people, and so far not one has named an actress they miss. Sexists, apparently.

How 'bout:

June Allyson
    Doris Day
    Susan Hayward
    Barbara Stanwyck
    Jean Simmons
    Elizabeth Taylor
    Hedy Lamarr
    Judy Garland
    Ann Margret
    Lauren Bacall
    Ingrid Bergman
    Ginger Rogers
    Claudette Colbert
    Joan Crawford
    Lana Turner
    Grace Kelly
    Bette Davis
    Olivia de Havilland
    Marlene Dietrich
    Irene Dunne
    Joan Fontaine
    Ava Gardner
    Betty Grable
    Rita Hayworth
    Katherine Hepburn
    Deborah Kerr
    Janet Leigh
    Vivian Leigh
    Sophia Loren
    Myrna Loy
    Shirley MacLaine
    Joanne Woodward
    Loretta Young
    Natalie Wood
    Shirley Temple
    Debbie Reynolds
    Eleanor Powell
    Kim Novak
    Dorothy McGuire
    and our very own Maureen O'Hara

De gustibus non est disputandum

• There are some real gems on that list Jim, however for me it would solely be male actors that I miss such as Bogey, James Stewart and Robert Mitchum.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• There are some real gems on that list Jim, however for me it would solely be male actors that I miss such as Bogey, James Stewart and Robert Mitchum.

:agent:

I think the males I miss the most (and not all are dead) are Paul Newman, Burt Lancaster, Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart, Kirk Douglas, Glenn Ford, Steve McQueen, Yul Brynner, Bogey, Mitchum, Gregory Peck, Dean Martin, Jeffrey Hunter, Joel McCrae, Walter Brennan, Paul Fix, Charlton Heston, Gary Cooper, Laurence Olivier, Richard Widmark, Fred Astaire, Sinatra, Gene Hackman, Sidney Poitier, Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Errol Flynn, Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, Mickey Rooney, Chuck Connors, Brian Donlevy, Lloyd Bridges, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, Charles Bronson, Edward G. Robinson, Vincent Price, Van Heflin, Alan Ladd, James Whitmore, George C. Scott, Richard Burton, Fred MacMurray, Randolph Scott and Jack Warden. And even then, there are probably some this old memory has missed.

• even then, there are probably some this old memory has missed.

Sho 'nuff, I thought of quite a few more just as I posted the previous, including several cousins from across the pond.

Lee Marvin, Jack Palance, Ward Bond, William Holden, Carey Grant, Ben Johnson, Arthur Kennedy, Robert Taylor, Robert Ryan, Chill Wills, Broderick Crawford, Joseph Cotten, Robert Shaw, Edward Fox, Ray Milland, Karl Malden, Tyrone Power, Basil Rathbone, Richard Attenborough, Stanley Baker, Finlay Currie, Stewart Granger, Alec Guinness, Rex Harrison, Jack Hawkins, Trevor Howard, Charles Laughton, James Mason, John Mills, Roger Moore, Kenneth More, Robert Newton, David Niven, Peter O’Toole, George Sanders, Richard Todd, and Peter Ustinov.

• Others I miss are Aldo Ray, Richard Jaeckel, Jack Lord, Robert Stack, John Carradine and Edgar Buchanan. Naturally, these are not top stars but they all turned in various performances that I really enjoyed.

• I could produce an endless list of actors and actresses that it would be great to see on screen again and have around but I think if you have had a full life and have produced a body of work you have left your legacy.

My choices fall into three categories.

Gone Too Soon

Top of the tree Steve Mc Queen if he had lived beyond 50 I think he would have been as big or bigger than Eastwood. It would have been great to see what he would have done from 1980's to now. Others, I would include would be Robert Shaw, JT Walsh, Jeffery Hunter, John Candy and John Belushi.

Wonderful Characters

Wouldnt it be great to go see a film with Boris Karloff, Vincent Price, Laurel & Hardy, Bette Davis, Katherine Hepburn,Lon Chaney, John Carradine, Cary Grant, Alec Guinness and Spencer Tracy. Their presence alone to make admission worthwhile.

Technical Maestros

It would be great to have Walt Disney, John Ford, Howard Hawks, John Sturges Alfred Hitchcock in their prime again making movies. Plus greats like Elmer Bernstein, Jerry Goldsmith and Bernard Hermann composing film tracks to movies.

It might even be worth bringing back Jack Warner and Louis Mayer to run studios although I think we will leave Harry Cohn where ever he is !!

Mike

• Gone Too Soon

Top of the tree Steve Mc Queen if he had lived beyond 50 I think he would have been as big or bigger than Eastwood. It would have been great to see what he would have done from 1980's to now. Others, I would include would be Robert Shaw, JT Walsh, Jeffery Hunter, John Candy and John Belushi.

I sure do agree with you that Steve left us waaaaaay too soon but I doubt that he would have eclipsed Clint. That's a contest that would have been interesting to watch though.

Just out of curiosity, Mike, what were your favorite McQueen roles? I liked almost everything he made but my personal favorites were "The Sand Pebbles", "The Cincinnati Kid", "The Getaway", "The Great Escape", "Bullitt", "The Hunter" and "The Magnificent Seven". I'd be hard pressed to name a favorite among those seven movies because I loved all of 'em about equally.

I also agree about the others you named as having left too soon except for Candy and Belushi - I didn't care for them.

• I sure do agree with you that Steve left us waaaaaay too soon but I doubt that he would have eclipsed Clint. That's a contest that would have been interesting to watch though.

Just out of curiosity, Mike, what were your favorite McQueen roles? I liked almost everything he made but my personal favorites were "The Sand Pebbles", "The Cincinnati Kid", "The Getaway", "The Great Escape", "Bullitt", "The Hunter" and "The Magnificent Seven". I'd be hard pressed to name a favorite among those seven movies because I loved all of 'em about equally.

I also agree about the others you named as having left too soon except for Candy and Belushi - I didn't care for them.

I don't know Jim. When you look at Eastwood's situation in 1980 with Bronco Billy, Any Which Way You can and FireFox would the world rate him as highly as they do today.
    The sad thing about the timing of Steve Mc Queen's death was that I finally think he had got his act together and was hungry again to do serious work.

My favourite Mc Queen movie hard to say it would be between Great Escape, Bullitt ( an amazing film in terms of lack of dialogue) and The Getaway. I also like Cincinnati Kid Papillon,Thomas Crown Affair, Magnificent Seven and The Hunter.

Steve's two final films Tom Horn and The Hunter could have been great but despite being flawed are still worth watching.

I love John Candy Uncle Buck & Planes Trains and Automobiles being my favourites. John Belushi could have been great and we might have been spared Jim Belushi!!

Two other characters that I loved to see in a movie that are sadly not with us are Yul Brynner and Telly Salvalas both strong individuals who were unique.

Mike

• Hey guys, McQueen was really great in The Blob. Can't argue with that one, Jim. :wink_smile:

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Gone Too Soon

Top of the tree Steve Mc Queen if he had lived beyond 50 I think he would have been as big or bigger than Eastwood.

The way in which you phrased this, Mike, leads me to believe that you consider Steve's early death the most tragic loss Hollywood ever suffered. Upon reflection, I'd beg to differ with that assessment. IMO, James Dean's death at a much earlier age has to be "top of the tree", if I may borrow your quaint words.

As you probably know, James Dean was killed in a 1955 automobile accident shortly after the filming of "Giant", his third and final movie, was completed. The others being "Rebel Without A Cause" and "East of Eden" . Just those three films did much to establish Dean as a major force to be reckoned with in Hollywood. Tragically, that huge talent was extinguished at the tender age of 24. I was 17 years old in 1955 and just at the rebellious age portrayed by James in "Rebel Without A Cause". Millions of American teenagers immediately claimed James as their "hero and role model", because his performance in that film captured their feelings perfectly. When he was killed, we all felt like a member of the family had perished in that crash. I knew girls in my high school class who moped for a year after he died. It was truly a sad time for America's young people.

• Funny , I was wondering when James Dean would be mentioned. I appreciate you grew up at the same time as James Dean so it would have special meaning to you.

Personally, Dean does nothing for me and the few films and material he left behind are inconclusive as to whether he would have made a substantive impact for the cinema.

I have the feeling that due to the adulation together with the personal problems he carried around with him that if he had survived he would have gone the way of Welles or Brando who had talent and genius but wasted much on ego and lost opportunities.

Mike

• My gosh, after reading this my lifelong admiration and respect for an icon of my adolescent years is seriously diminished. I sure never knew that James Dean was apparently bi-sexual. To me, he always personified a handsome young stud with tremendous appeal to women, and therefore someone I naturally wanted to emulate.

• The problem with Wikipedia Jim is that you can write anything. You could log in and update that page yourself. As for the stories of Dean's sexuality they have been about for years and can neither be proven or confirmed either way and as James Dean is dead he cant give a definite answer.

I always love the old story of Cary Grant and Randolph Scott being an item. When Chevy Chase made an remark on chat show in the 1980's to that effect Cary Grant successfully sued him and got a seven figure settlement, apology and effectively ended ensured the end of Chase's career. Since then the rumour mongers wait until the recipent is dead before they make the accusations.

Mike