Which Famous Western Character Would You Like To Meet With

There are 36 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,145 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Calamity Jane and Big Nose Kate

Hi Etsija:

The few names I threw out in my original post were all men, but I have this great book about "soiled doves of the west" and while there are some very tragic stories about the tough lives some of these ladies lived, there are also alot of great stories about some of the more colorful women who worked the cow towns and the mining camps too.

It would certainly be interesting to hear about some of their 'exploits" as well.:teeth_smile:

CalamityJane and Big Nose Kate are good choices.

Mark

• I 'd like to meet Whispering Smith.
    was he a real person? what a interesting name.
    Alan Ladd and Audie Murphy had played his role,i remember.

Regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• I found several arrowheads and arrow shavers, hides cutters many indian tools down in the creeks when I was hunting. The waters would wash away some dirt I could see arrowheads all at different times. I could picture a brave throwing a spear or shooting an arrow at a buffalo or even a man but all that remains today is the arrowhead.

From about 1943 until 1955, I lived on a large oil lease in southern Oklahoma with a Tom Sawyer-like existence. I roamed all over the countryside on an old mare my grandpa had bought me. I too found many arrowheads and other Indian artifacts in the creek beds. Still have 'em except for a few I've given to my grandkids.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• for me I think it would be BUFFALO BILL CODY. the man was so many things in life.scout,buffalo hunter,indian fighter, guide and showman.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• For you people that would like to meet and to know a little more about "Katie Elder" here is a little more Info on Her ! One of the Tough Old Gals of The Old West !!!
    :ohmy:

http://www.ranch26bar.com/KATIE_ELDER.html

Chilibill
    :cowboy:

Great link, Bill - thanks for sharing. A very interesting read..!!

OK - everybody, here's a skill testing question re "Big Nose" Kate Elder. Why was she nicknamed "Big Nose"..??

For those who saw the movie bio-pic, Wyatt Earp, there's a scene where the character - Big Nose Kate (played by Isabella Rossellini) - is introduced to Wyatt and Bat Masterson by her "boyfirend", Doc Holliday and when she gets a peculiar look from Wyatt and Bat, she comments "no - my nose isn't big - there are many reasons why a person gets a nickname" or something to that effect.

And Bat fully understands as his Christian name was Bartholemew (sp..??) but you sure didn't want to be a lawman in the wild west with a moniker like that.

So again - how / why did she acquire the name "Big Nose".

Good luck..!

Mark

• Speaking of big noses, some of the most prominent beaks I've ever seen in my entire life decorate the faces of many actors appearing in the Sharpe series I've been watching. One of the most noticeable was the guy who played General Wellesley (before he was elevated to the peerage).

• I agree with Arthur that it would be interesting to listen to Chief Joseph of the Nez pierce. I think what he said was to the effect that many of his young warriors were dead and the young and old were starving, and that He would fight no more forever. I would also like to meet Jack Beauregard.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• So again - how did she acquire the name "Big Nose".

The combination of a rather large nose and the habit of sticking it into other people's business?

I don't believe in surrenders.

• I hope this doesn't sound too sappy, but if I could go back and visit with anyone out of the era of Famous Western Characters, I'd like to go back and meet my great-great-grandpa.

We know little of nothing about him but he was the one who came over from Ireland. I'd just like to sit down with him get to know him and something of our family history.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• I hope this doesn't sound too sappy, but if I could go back and visit with anyone out of the era of Famous Western Characters, I'd like to go back and meet my great-great-grandpa.

We know little of nothing about him but he was the one who came over from Ireland. I'd just like to sit down with him get to know him and something of our family history.

TBONE I like your answer the best.good choise.I wish Ihad known my fathers father I was told we were a lot alike.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• I'd like to go back and meet my great-great-grandpa.

Pretty darned good idea, Tbone. I wouldn't mind meeting with mine either as he was a Confederate cavalryman (19th Texas Cavalry), a fact of which I'm extremely proud (being the Rebel at heart that I am :wink_smile:)

Another reason I'd like to meet him is so I could find out where in Georgia he was born (the census just says he was born in Georgia about 1832) and I'd like to know his date of death and burial spot so I can bring my family tree records up to date.

• I wouldn't mind meeting with mine either as he was a Confederate cavalryman (19th Texas Cavalry), a fact of which I'm extremely proud (being the Rebel at heart that I am :wink_smile:)

Another reason I'd like to meet him is so I could find out where in Georgia he was born (the census just says he was born in Georgia about 1832) and I'd like to know his date of death and burial spot so I can bring my family tree records up to date.

Wow Stumpy, that would be something to have a relative in the Confederate Cavalry.

If you were able to find the obituary of his wife or children, sometimes they'll have information about spouses or parents in them too. You might also be able to find something with the Army graves registry. He might have been buried in a CSA cemetery.

So did he move from GA to fight with the Texans or did he just wind up assigned to them?

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Wow Stumpy, that would be something to have a relative in the Confederate Cavalry.

If you were able to find the obituary of his wife or children, sometimes they'll have information about spouses or parents in them too. You might also be able to find something with the Army graves registry. He might have been buried in a CSA cemetery.

So did he move from GA to fight with the Texans or did he just wind up assigned to them?

He and my GGGM first show up in the 1860 census living in Navarro County, Texas. They had a one-year-old daughter named Alice (born in Texas) and his mother-in-law named Flora were living with them. It said he was 28 and had been born in Georgia; she was 25 and had been born in Tennessee. Flora had been born in NC (forget how old she was). In the national archives, I managed to locate his enlistment contract and one other paper showing him in a military hospital in Louisiana about 1863. He had enlisted in the 19th Cav in Texas.

They owned land, which they farmed, in Navarro County. County records show them paying taxes on it until the early 1870s but then nothing. Records were very sketchy back then.

They had 3 other children, two born in the early 1860s and my GGF, born in 1871.
    They didn't show up in the 1870 census anywhere but in the 1880 census, it shows my GGGM and all the kids living in Glen Rose (TX). Alice was married to a man named McDonald. My GGGF was not with them so I assume he died sometime between the time my GGF was born and 1880. I also assume he's buried somewhere in Navarro County or thereabouts but though I've searched a lot of names in cemeteries shown both online and in the Dallas Public Library (which has a very extensive genealogical section), I've never been able to find his burial spot.

I've never been able to connect my GGGF to a family in Georgia but I have been able to trace her family further back. Have even located her burial place and photographed her headstone, which is in a cemetery in Guymon (OK).

I've discovered my paternal side of the family were a bunch of rolling stones, never staying in one place too long, which makes it hard to track them in the records available. I spent about 7 or 8 years on extensive genealogical research in the late 20th century and early 21st century. It's fascinating being a genealogical detective but when I ran into so many blank walls trying to track him, I finally grew frustrated and gave up. His descendants, over the years, spent time in the Oklahoma Panhandle working on the railroad and another branch settled in Ardmore (OK), where my Dad was born. He too was a rolling stone, which I'm convinced is the reason my mother divorced him when I was about 4 or 5 years old. My Dad finally ended up in Santa Cruz, (CA), where he died and was cremated the summer I retired from the military (1978).

• As this seems like it's preferred to meet with a true "Western" character, i'd have to assume that were talking after the Civil War ended. So, i'd like to meet someone im related to whoo was a Colonel in the Confederate Cavalry and also a Lawman -allegedly in Dodge City-by the name os Sam Cooper.

After meeting my relation, i've always liked the idea of meeting Buffalo Bill.

Now if we can also include pre Civil War period, i'd like to meet Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett. For that matter, i'd also like to meet Fess Parker ;-)) Fess Parker of course, because he portrayed both of these great Frontiersmen, on the big and little screen.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..