Death Penalty

There are 37 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,872 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I wonder how many of these government types would change their tune if it was a member of their family who was murdered. I think they'd want that perpetrator strung up by the nearest tree with no thought of leniency!:angry:
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• I wonder how many of these government types would change their tune if it was a member of their family who was murdered. I think they'd want that perpetrator strung up by the nearest tree with no thought of leniency!:angry:

I'll bet you're right, Jay.

You know what they say; a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged. :glare:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• In thinking about the topic and all the responses here the classic Gary Cooper quote from High Noon (1952) sprung to mind:

I sent a man up five years ago for murder. He was supposed to hang. But up North, they commuted it to life and now he's free. I don't know how. Anyway, it looks like he's coming back.

I think that finality is part of the appeal of the death penalty. Once their dead, their dead; and will never be able to harm anyone again. After all, as long as a murderer is alive there's always the chance that some well-intentioned idiot will turn loose a killer to kill again. Like someone else said earlier, how many people has Ted Bundy killed lately?

And I completely agree that enforcing the death penalty ONLY in the case of a police officer being killed is selective enforcement, at best. After all, aren't we all equal under the law, therefore shouldn't every life have an equal value?

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Criminals are like Real Estate and Lawyers and Judges are the realtors. Evey 7 to 25 years the property usualy comes back on the market. Ready to put money in the pockets of the lawyers and judges.If you hanged these people you would be taking the food out of every criminal lawyer and judges families mouths...And Heavens know we couldn't let that happen...

• Criminals are like Real Estate and Lawyers and Judges are the realtors. Evey 7 to 25 years the property usualy comes back on the market. Ready to put money in the pockets of the lawyers and judges.If you hanged these people you would be taking the food out of every criminal lawyer and judges families mouths...And Heavens know we couldn't let that happen...

I agree with you, Saddle Tramp - the legal system is a hell of a business.

I was chatting with somebody the other night about this issue and again heard that tired old "anti-death penalty" argument about how it's nothing more than the state "killing people to show that killing people is wrong".

If I understand this argument, then it must follow and be equally true that a life sentence - or any prison sentence for that matter - teaches us that it's OK to hold somebody against their will..!! Or that a fine teaches us that it's permissible to "steal" (take money against the "victim's" will)..!!

IMO, it's a fallacy to confuse the killing of an innocent with the punishment of the guilty.

And if somebody can't make a very clear distinction between the legally-sanctioned execution of somebody like Ted Bundy, who murdered scores of young, innocent and defenceless women versus the brutal rape and "execution" of a young child, for example, by some depraved individual, there's no way I or anybody could ever possibly respond to that...

• You're one heck of a debater, Mark. Mighty fine points you make.

If I understand this argument, then it must follow and be equally true that a life sentence - or any prison sentence for that matter - teaches us that it's OK to hold somebody against their will..!! Or that a fine teaches us that it's permissible to "steal" (take money against the "victim's" will)..!!

I might just use these the next time I argue this point with someone. :teeth_smile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Thanks, Dukefan1, but if I'm such a good debater, how come I've never won an argument with my wife..???!!!:teeth_smile:

• Thanks, Dukefan1, but if I'm such a good debater, how come I've never won an argument with my wife..???!!!:teeth_smile:

Buddy you ain't never going to win one of those things and as soon as you think you have...well I'm sure you know the rest...You get to sleep with the dog for an indeterminate amount of time...

• you hear of cases where repeat offenders who are considered high risk to reoffend are released anyway. The corrections system should be renamed the recycle system. The folks who march and lobby against capitol punishment never go fundraising to help pay for the incarceration of these individuals. I take no pleasure in the thought of ending a life and yet do not embrace the concept of dangerous people free to cause more suffering. If I had to choose between A Charles Manson on Parole and his execution I would go with the latter.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• There is that pipe dream(especialy in Canada) that hardened ,habitual criminals can be reformed. The most arrogant and ignorant prime minister we ever had(pierre trudeau) is basicly to blame for the horse crap we have up here now. He gave the incarcerated more rights than the victims.He even gave them the right to vote.No hard labor or work of anykind if they don't want it.Now the gangs control the prisons and there are constant power struggles on the inside. Put these dregs to work for 10-12 hours a day and not laundry or cooking detail either.Take away their gyms full of weights and other equipment,Tv would be a priveledge(didn't rape or knife some one today).Keep these prisoners tired and there won't be alot of time to cause trouble. I also think the victim or the victims family should be the ones that have final say on the punishment. When you break the criminal code and are convicted your rights should be null and void untill you have repayed your debt to society,Whether that is incarceration or execution.We call ourselves a civil society but it seems like our streets and cities are turning back to jungle with tribes of gangs practicing their war skills on neighboring tribes with the innocents, the victims caught in the crossfire...ST...

• I've read of cases in which people released from prison after serving their specified sentences going out and committing another crime just so they'll be returned to the cushy confinement they've been enjoying. Hey, three hots and a cot beat sleeping hungry on the streets.

P.S.
    I've always been a very strong proponent of capital punishment. An eye for an eye, says I.

The above "Revolving Door" statement is true. I saw it happen time tens of thousands of times over a four year period. I worked at two Transfer Facilities (which are the most dangerous to work at) and one Trustee Camp-which is just a step above what I call, regular prisons.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Family of victims on changing their minds about Capitol Punishment---you can bet that every single on eof them would. I saw some attitudes change when they let people into certain areas of the farms I worked at-touring our facility. I remember one lady who came in and was dead set against C.P/ but by the time she came out from the tour-which lasted about 1 hour, she told me that she would have absolutely no problem with executions. A person really had to be where I was to see this happen.

• The above "Revolving Door" statement is true. I saw it happen time tens of thousands of times over a four year period. I worked at two Transfer Facilities (which are the most dangerous to work at) and one Trustee Camp-which is just a step above what I call, regular prisons.

Ringo Kid:

While the majority of us debate these types of questions as "bystanders", I enjoy and respect your views because you experienced it first hand. I only read about the types of people who commit these terrible crimes, but you saw them "up close and personal" so you bring a real-life perspective to the table.

I have such a cynical perspective when I read about so many of these guys on "death row" who have found "Jesus" and easily so many people are conned by their "change" and their repentance. God, PT Barnum was right - there is one born every minute.

When I read about these guys being executed, I can't help but think that the world is a slightly better place with them no longer in it..!

• Slightly (ot) since this is not about capital punishment.
    Saw on the news last night that the nation's prisons are getting so crowded that many states are thinking about early release for many inmates. I fear this will cause many more problems in our society with these no-good-niks running around loose!
    I agree with an earlier mention of these guys having it so good with TV, workout facilities, and libraries (especially LAW) that they go out to purposely do a crime so they can get back in. They can't deal with society outside prison.:glare:

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Mark, thank you for the nice compliments and, what you say is EXACTLY on the money, and I agree with everything you said here. :thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

I was witness to alot of shenangans while working there-both with Inmates and Staff alike. Most of the guys I had to supervise, knew they made mistakes and were sorry for doing so. There is always a few exceptions-which we occasionally had pass through our gates. One guy in particular sticks out in my mind. This guy was not only big boned but, about 6 ft 8 tall and weighed about 450 pounds--solid muscle.

Anyway, this guy was a serial killer who had killed four people-with his teeth. This guy should have been in maximum security whilst at the Transfer Facility that we were at. No less than ten people got fired because he was misclassified and placed in the minimum security building. This guy was that literal Wolf amongst the Sheep" and this guy also has a Job that he was assigned to-that he should never have been assigned. He worked with all-kinds of tools and could have easily taken out the Civilian guy he "worked for" as well as the rest of this guys Maintenance Crew-let alone the two guards that were assigned to watch this guy.

I was assigned to work the building he was in along with a former Green Beret/Vietnam combat Vet. We had a very stupid spuervisor giving us illegal orders on that day and we three almost wound up getting our backside ripped off-by this guy, thanks to stupid mistakes made by said supervisor-whom from that day on-I called a Stupervisor.

Anyway, this serial killer is one who has been executed within the past several years. I don't remember his name-nor do i care to, and I don't remember details but, this guy was definately a perfect candidate-for the Chair.

Take care and best regards--Carl. :wink_smile: