The Big Country (1958)

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.
       

    There are 36 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Peridot.

    • Re: Classic Movie Westerns- The Big Country (1958)

      A wonderful, epic western! One of my personal favorites, definitely in my Top 10 list over the best westerns ever made (though I have many more to see.) The amount of talent in the cast put together for this movie is simply amazing. Peck, Ives, Connors, Heston, mindblowing. It's probably one of the most beautiful westerns ever shot. William Wyler sure knew how to make things big.

      I know it's long, but I love every minute of it and don't think it drags at any time. The score deserved an Oscar, the main theme is one of the most memorable main themes of a western I've ever heard.

      And how about that fight scene? Wow.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Re: Classic Movie Westerns- The Big Country (1958)

      I've always been madly in love with Jean Simmons. I thought she was much more beautiful than Liz Taylor or other Hollywood ladies.
      De gustibus non est disputandum
    • Re: Classic Movie Westerns- The Big Country (1958)

      Just watched The Big Country on Blu ray.
      Pristine transfer, superb widescreen and great sound quality...
      All this and a truly wonderful film equals a flawless experience.
      I got so wrapped up in it I ordered the CD of the soundtrack before the film ended!
      "Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"
    • Re: Classic Movie Westerns- The Big Country (1958)

      Hondo Apache wrote:

      I don't have the Blu-ray yet, so thanks for the recommendation. I'm sure this movie looks stunning on Blu-ray. The soundtrack to the movie is terrific, was it the 42 track LaLa Land Records soundtrack you bought?


      Sure was!:wink_smile:
      After all my complaining about Hondo on Blu ray being delayed and taking ages to arrive I still haven't watched it lol!
      Currently sat through the arse numbing directors cut of Gettysburg on Blu ray!
      Enjoy Hondo.
      "Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"
    • Re: Classic Movie Westerns- The Big Country (1958)

      Dooley wrote:


      Currently sat through the arse numbing directors cut of Gettysburg on Blu ray!
      Enjoy Hondo.


      I told you it was long. :wink_smile:
      Did you like it as well as Gods and Generals? I keep meaning to break out G & G and watch it again, just have not got around to doing it yet.

      Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "
    • Re: Classic Movie Westerns- The Big Country (1958)

      dukefan1 wrote:

      I told you it was long. :wink_smile:
      Did you like it as well as Gods and Generals? I keep meaning to break out G & G and watch it again, just have not got around to doing it yet.

      Mark


      Hi Mark, I've had to break for supper, two and a half hours in, so half way lol!

      Really, really enjoying it, almost wished I had watched G & G more recently.
      Wonder if anyone on here has watched them back to back!!!
      "Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"
    • Re: Classic Movie Westerns- The Big Country (1958)

      Dooley wrote:

      Hi Mark, I've had to break for supper, two and a half hours in, so half way lol!

      Really, really enjoying it, almost wished I had watched G & G more recently.
      Wonder if anyone on here has watched them back to back!!!


      Yeah, I am. Been sitting here watching for the last 6 months and I'm hungry. Only half way through, which means, I finished one, started the other.
      Not really, lol. That would be some very heavy movie watching. Bet someones done it, though.
    • Re: Classic Movie Westerns- The Big Country (1958)

      I accomplished it myself when my wife was out of town. I still wonder what hairy critter was attached to Tom Berenger's face in Getty and although I really enjoyed Stephen Lang's turn as Stonewall Jackson, I was getting antsy for him to pass away after about eight hours of viewing. Next time, I'll break them up.





      We deal in lead, friend.
    • Re: Classic Movie Westerns- The Big Country (1958)

      Gorch wrote:

      I accomplished it myself when my wife was out of town. I still wonder what hairy critter was attached to Tom Berenger's face in Getty and although I really enjoyed Stephen Lang's turn as Stonewall Jackson, I was getting antsy for him to pass away after about eight hours of viewing. Next time, I'll break them up.





      We deal in lead, friend.


      That's impressive Gorch,
      I've actually decided to split my viewing to coincide with the actual days of the conflict. So I've watch the 1st of July part on the first of July and started July 2nd after midnight :-). It give it more resonance somehow knowing what you are watching happened on the same day all those years ago.
      "Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"