What popcorn prices mean for movies

There are 31 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,425 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Let's face it- they have you by the "short hairs" once you're past the turnstiles.

That's the main reason I no longer pass the turnstiles, Mark - I don't want anyone having me by the short hairs.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Have to admit I enjoy going to the movies and we can still sneak our own food & drink in so far. At least having a home cinema set up means I can set my own rules (none for me) LOL

Mike

• Most theaters make all their money off concessions.

I have been told that here in Illinois, if a venue serves food you legally have the right to bring your own food to it. I know that years ago in Chicago people used to bring ribs to movie theaters and would throw the bones on the floor and it drew rats.

I always take my own snacks even though it says not to. Ushers don't do much any more so no one ever tries to confiscate them.

• Stumpy,

It's the same here. No food, drinks, or tobacco in the theater.

Cheers :cool:

They don't let us bring in snacks here either but like Todd, that doesn't stop us from occasionally sneaking in a Subway Sandwich (my warmup pants have deep pockets) ;-D and a bottle of Dr. Pepper in the other pocket. I've never been "busted" yet. :teeth_smile:

PS, I aint going to pay $3.50 for a sodapop. I think Hotdogs in my area go for about $3.00 each. Heck, if I want two Hotdogs, i'll just go to a Circle K and get two for a buck and sneak those in.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I'm surprised to hear that some of you folks can bring your own snacks into the movies. They won't let us do that in the states, or at least where I live they won't.

Stumpy,

Lucky for us, they don't search my purse or my son's deep pockets. They have big signs that specifically say "NO FOOD OR DRINKS TO BE BROUGHT IN" and I have to say it's one of the "rules" in life I blatantly disregard. If they would charge reasonable prices, I'd gladly buy my snacks at the movies. But $3.50 for a box of candy that is $1.00 just a few doors away in the same parking lot is CRAZY. I know that the snack concession is the major source of income for the theater owner, but it seems he would make more if reasonable prices were charged. I wouldn't mind paying a little more than the nearby business, just for the convenience of not having to make the extra stop. But they charge so much that it's worth the savings to make the extra stop. For every ten boxes of candy they sell, I bet at least 30 are smuggled in - maybe even more.

What's REALLY funny is that they also have a sign that anyone who wants to can come into the lobby off the street, without a ticket, to buy snacks. Like anyone would want to do THAT??

Mrs. C :angel1:

• I know what you mean. You almost have to take a second mortage on your house to go to the movies these days. You spend more at the food counter than you do for the movie. Where are you in Japan? Many years ago in the Air Force I was there. That was in 1970. It seems like a million years ago.:teeth_smile:

• I usually eat half a watermelon at one sitting.

I can tell you from personal experience that [url=http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,374267,00.html] their [/url] research is a bit flawed.

Apparently they've never tested the theory on geezers. :wink_smile::wink_smile:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• we went to the movies this monday just gone and it cost me AUD$22 for the 2 of us to get in, snuck this movie in between my shifts, we went and saw kung-fu panda not bad funny in places

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

Originally Posted by Stumpy
    I usually eat half a watermelon at one sitting.

I can tell you from personal experience that their research is a bit flawed.

Apparently they've never tested the theory on geezers. :wink_smile::wink_smile:

Stumpy,

According to this and this and this (about 2/3 of the way down), we're eating the wrong part of the watermelon to get the desired effect :biggrin:!

Chester :newyear: