What popcorn prices mean for movies

There are 31 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,426 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The Advertising Age Magazine reports that the price hike of the movie ticket fee of the U.S. became inevitable.
    Because the price of corn that is the raw material of popcorn soars,and popcorn price is rising.
    As a result,the forecast that sales of the stall where considerable part of the movie theater income
    is ocurpied decrease and the ticket fee of the movie will rise oppositely by 30% or more this year is done.
    behind this ,there's high price of oil.(Ethanol and rising costs of paper eat into sales
    that subsidize tickets.)
    and I wonder how about in other countries?
    In Japan,we have little habbit of eating popcorn in the theater,
    so this influence will be little,i hope.

regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• On a recent visit to the cinema here the price of the confectionary far outwieighed the price of the admission tickets. Why anyone needs a bucket of popcorn the size of a small dog and 1 litre coke to watch a movie is beyond me.

• Well, to offset the price hikes we find as a family that we go to more matinee's. Its usaully 1/2 the price of the regular ticket. Then we "sneak" in some water or soda's. There is something about movie theater popcorn though that I cannot replicate at home, so we usually treat ourselves with some popcorn. But the biggest thing that we do is just wait till the films hit the video store's and rent. It saves on gas and we can all watch a movie for around $4 instead of spending $30+.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• What this really means is that it's foolhardy national policy that turns food into fuel at the expense of the hungry. The result being energy negative to boot, but I don't want to turn this into a political discussion.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Sacrilege - why, the very thought of watching a movie without a big old barrel of popcorn to munch on gives me a headache. :teeth_smile:

P.S. The above post is from someone who's convinced he can survive indefinately on popcorn and watermelon. :wink_smile:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Watermelon rules!!!!

I love the seeds. eating them seedless melon's is a sacrilege!!

You realize, of course, that eating the seeds will cause a watermelon vine to grow out your behind, Todd.

At least that's what my grandma used to tell me. :teeth_smile:

• Ooops, maybe I need to clarify. Don't actually eat them, they are for spitting. If you don't spit seeds while eating watermelon then that is a sacrilege. No seedless watermelon's!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• At one of the last family owned theatres locally if you bring in your own container- like an old ice cream container its only $1;50 for a fill. Same with soda. We rarely go out for a show going instead with a rental for home.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Now Watermelon I could eat that mind that all day

I kid you not - I usually eat half a watermelon at one sitting.

Does anyone else salt their watermelon. My wife thinks I'm nuts for salting it but I've been putting salt on it all my life. Picked up the habit as a kid, I think from my grandpa.

• Movie going is a great experience, and I do go but now like I use to. Reasons: expensive, annoying people, video release, 42" flat screen TV, quality (story) of movie. That may also be ranked correctly.

But I do enjoy getting out, and being a part of the crowd at times, and the screen is a lot bigger with great sound. As for the popcorn I gave it up years ago at the theater. It is ridiculous the prices they charge. I love the popcorn, but not at $10 a bucket. I also gave up soda's since December 31, 2004.

It seems that we are losing our adventure of being out in the crowd these days. I don't go to football games or sporting events anymore either. I use to go the Atlanta to see the Braves play (not a fan; Go Dodgers), but haven't done that in a lot of years. I don't even go to high school games. It's always on TV (even the high school games) and easier to sit at home and watch it without fighting the crowds and costs. (ot)

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• My sister salts her watermelon, always has but she is the only one I know. I tried it but I like it better without. When I was 16 my folks asked what I wanted for my birthday dinner and I said a whole Watermelon for myself, ( took 2 days ) and a second one for everyone else. How about a ripe peach right off the tree? (ot)

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi all
    Anyway, I guess that i can not eat the watermelon with salt
    watching the movie in the dark of the movie theater? How odd!
    If it is the watermelon juice, maybe i can.

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• we rarely go to the movies mainly because there a few movies that i deem suitable for my little bloke but he normally gets to go about twice in a year. we take all our own snacks into the movies from lollies to popcorn (make it at home and bag it up), and as for drinks we take in water as i find drinking softdrink makes you more thirsty, one 750ml bottle of water each will see use through the movie. when we do go i try to go on a teusday as the cost to get in is half price which is AUD$9.50 for a child and AUD$11.50 for an adult.

we dont take watermelon to the movies either, dont eat much of it sometimes it is in a fruit salad i buy when im working but that in mainly the only time i eat it now. seed spitting contests are the way to go wind and elevation is the key to the longest spit.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• I'm surprised to hear that some of you folks can bring your own snacks into the movies. They won't let us do that in the states, or at least where I live they won't.

Nor into most professional sports games. Several years ago the wife and I went to see the Dallas Cowboys play football. She took along some cheese and peanut butter crackers. The ticket taker confiscated her crackers. Inside, I went to the concession stand to buy a coke. They charged me $3.00 for a 12 ounce coke. Needless to say, we haven't been back.

• My sister salts her watermelon, always has but she is the only one I know. I tried it but I like it better without. When I was 16 my folks asked what I wanted for my birthday dinner and I said a whole Watermelon for myself, ( took 2 days ) and a second one for everyone else. How about a ripe peach right off the tree? (ot)

Southwest of San Antonio is big watermelon country in the area of Pearsall and Dilley. Not unusual this time of year to see watermelon displays along the side of the road with watermelons galore and relatively cheap!
    And northwest of us in Fredericksburg and surrounding areas is peach country. As with the watermelons, shacks full of baskets of peaches are for sale.(ot)
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Stumpy,

It's the same here. No food, drinks, or tobacco in the theater.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I still enjoy going out to the movies once in a while - big screen / big sound, but I'm pretty selective about the films I'll see.

And I have to agree with alot of the other posters here about the prices at the stands. They are brutal - I usually get myself a big bag of popcorn - costs me about $5 or $6 - and probably consists of about $0.50 worth of popcorn kernels. I would love to have the concession stand there.

Same story up in Toronto - you try to bring anything in and it's confiscated.

Sporting events have to be the worst, though -I used to take in alot Toronto Blue Jays games and eventually stopped going - just couldn't take the $6.00 hot dogs and the $3 / $4 medium cokes.

Let's face it- they have you by the "short hairs" once you're past the turnstiles.