Should Popcorn Be Banned In Theaters?

There are 78 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 21,334 times. The latest Post () was by Lt. Brannigan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi All
    According to the Gurdian U.K.,the number of movie theaters where
    the popcorn sales are discontinued is increasing.
    Does the style of movie watching change though it is assumed that the smell and healthy matter are the reasons ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/poll/2008/aug/11/1

regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

Edited 4 times, last by H.sanada ().

• Sorry title of thread was full of strange characters.
    and i can't correct my mistake.:cry2:

H.sanada

~Steve McQueen~

• Hi All
    According to the Guardian U.K.,the number of movie theaters where
    the popcorn sales are discontinued is increasing.
    Does the style of movie watching change though it is assumed that the smell and healthy matter are the reasons ?

I had heard a report of this on the radio yesterday, and felt certain it would end up an object of discussion here.

The report I heard indicated that one of the reasons is that the eating of popcorn is "too noisy" and that the smell is somehow a problem. However, it seems there are other reasons as well, as indicated by the following articles -

Cinemas ban popcorn

'Chavvy' popcorn to be banned from cinemas

Apparently, theater owners are trying to appeal to a more upscale audience. What can I say? I guess I'm too low brow to be at those theaters :wink_smile:.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Apparently, theater owners are trying to appeal to a more upscale audience. What can I say? I guess I'm too low brow to be at those theaters :wink_smile:.

Mrs. C :angel1:

That's why I don't go, can't stand mixing with 'riff-raff' ,
    might go, when it's up-market lol

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• 氏 Sanada,
    Would you mind if we called you "Taka" as a shortened version of your first name? If that offends you, please forgive me as most Americans are almost totally ignorant of the cultural "do's and don't" of other lands.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Popcorn is indeed one of the reasons why I so rarely go to cinemas. I can't stand any distracting noises or smells. People eat and talk through the film, mobiles ring etc. And popcorn is in top of the list of noisiest and foulest smelling foods.

And movie theatres aren't even dark anymore - some stupid safety thing I suppose - I don't want to see everyone around me, it's away from the magic. Last time I went to see a movie the damn light was above the screen. That was nearly a year ago, and the memory still keeps me away.

I don't believe in surrenders.

• They can ban popcorn this minute for me...it is noisy but what I hate most of all is that after the film is finished it is all over the floor and seats. You sometimes can't do anything else but to step on the popcorn walking down the stairs. And if someone spills his coke well your feet are glued to the floor. Ban all food I say and go back as it used to be back in the 70's and 80's. After the pre-views and ads we where able to buy an icecream or some sweets. But I guess the big money comes from the sale of the popcorn. Don't like the stuff anyway...

• I never buy anything at a theaters except for a drink. The rest of the stuff I sneak in-providing I feel like eatcing somehting threr.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• 氏 Sanada,
    Would you mind if we called you "Taka" as a shortened version of your first name? If that offends you, please forgive me as most Americans are almost totally ignorant of the cultural "do's and don't" of other lands.

OK Stumpy
    I like Taka.
    From now on, i'll use it.
    Thank you for give me a nice name.

Taka

~Steve McQueen~

• どういたしまして Stumpy my friend
    Oh,your computer has Japanese chracters?
    It's wonderful.

Taka

Hi Taka,
    I'm hoping those characters were entered correctly. I copied and pasted them from an online language translation site and they were supposed to be the characters for "thank you".
    Jim

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Jim,
    copy and paste,yes you have a good technique.
    I cleary understnad your Japanese .
    and どういたしまして=not at all or you are welcome.

Taka

~Steve McQueen~