General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,145,811 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I had not heard about this one till today thanks to an email from Cindy.

Van T. Barfoot a WWII ETO Medal of Honor Recipient, passed away at the young age of 92. :-((( He passed on on March 2nd this year.

He was born on: June-15-1919.

The deed that earned him his Medal of honor occurred on: May-23-1944 near Carano, Italy. What he did was that single-handedly, he outflanked many German Machine gun positions having advanced through a minefield and in the process-wiping out three of the German MG emplacements. During that engagement-he captured 17 German Soldiers.

As if that were not enough-the Germans sent in three Tanks to recapture those MG emplacements and he took on and destroyed those three tanks by himself.

At the time of his deed, he was in: "I" (Item) Company, 157th Infantry Regiment of the 45th Infantry Division. This was the same Infantry Division that the creator of the classic Army Cartoon Characters: "Willie and Joe" (Sergeant Bill Mauldin) served with.

Rest in Peace Mr. Barfoot, you were one of my favorite Medal of Honor Recipients who served in the E.T.O.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Forgot to mention something about Mr. Barfoot. Several months ago-you might have read a story where a home-owners ASSociation-in the community where he lived-tried and failed-to force a WWII Vet to take down his flag. Well, that WWII Vet was Mr. Barfoot. Score one for the good guys, the home-owners association NAZIS lost. :lol::lol::lol:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Here's one that caught my eye, apparently he was one of Duke's friends.

Ed Smart dies at 92

Smart led what might best be described as the life of a man's man. He flew a plane for the U.S. Army Air Corps in the D-Day invasion. He fought the government and other landowners over mining claims in Colorado. He was a friend of actor John Wayne and writer Rob MacGregor (author of the six original Indiana Jones novels), and is said to have provided story fodder to MacGregor, best-selling writer of westerns Louis L'Amour and others.

• Robin Gibb, one of three brothers who made up the disco group the Bee Gees behind "Saturday Night Fever" and other hits from the 1970s, died on Sunday, according to a statement on his website.

He was 62.

Gibb "passed away today following his long battle with cancer and intestinal surgery," said the statement, which was attributed to his family.

Diagnosed with colon and liver cancer, Gibbs had been in a coma as he battled pneumonia earlier this spring, representative Doug Wright said.
    Doctors believe that Gibb had a secondary tumor, Wright said April 14, confirming a news account in the U.K. newspaper The Sun. Gibb had emergency surgery in 2010 for a blocked bowel and then had more surgery for a twisted bowel, Wright confirmed.

The only surviving member of the three Bee Gees is brother Barry, 65.
    Robin's twin brother, Maurice, died in 2003 from a twisted bowel.
    And younger brother Andy Gibb died at age 30 from a heart infection.
    The Brothers Gibb -- calling themselves the Bee Gees -- soared to renown after the 1977 film "Saturday Night Fever" starring John Travolta was built around the group's falsetto voices and disco songs.

In the latter part of the 1970s, the British-born Bee Gees "dominated dance floors and airwaves. With their matching white suits, soaring high harmonies and polished, radio-friendly records, they remain one of the essential touchstones to that ultra-commercial era," the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame says on its website.

"Saturday Night Fever" and the group's 1979 album "Spirits Having Flown" yielded six No. 1 hits, "making the Bee Gees the only group in pop history to write, produce and record that many consecutive chart-topping singles," according to the Hall of Fame.

While often more in the background, Robin Gibb was the lead singer on several of the Bee Gees' top tunes including "I Started a Joke" and "I've Gotta Get a Message to You." He also recorded several solo albums during his career.

Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997, the Bee Gees sold more than 200 million albums, and their soundtrack album to "Saturday Night Fever" was the top-selling album until Michael Jackson's "Thriller" claimed that distinction in the 1980s.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/20/…obin-gibb-dies/index.html

• The Bee Gees! What a great group in their day. We are losing some great ones out there from my teenage age due to old age and diseases. It's almost over whelming seeing some people who made music special during my growing up years. RIP Robin Gibb

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• wow that is so said.
    lindaj48