General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,151,747 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Jim, I'm torn with grief over the news of your brother's passing. As a former GI who also served in 'Nam, I feel a special bond with my brothers-in-arms who served there. May the Good Lord bless and keep him.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I know this is way off topic but I felt I needed to let you good people know that George S. Patton IV passed away recently. I just found out myself a few days ago.

He was a Major General (2 Stars) and he passed away on: June 27 2004 from Parkinsons Disease.

Rest In Peace George. :(

Warum dann?

• jim so sorry for your lose, he may not have been famous but he was a hero and went where very few did and though scared come home to you for a few more years

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• i know he was'nt famous,but the grand nephew of myles keogh the soldier who died with george custer at the little big horn has died in co.carlow.his name is miley kehoe age 86.

• Hi Jim, sorry for your loss and especially at thie period of the year. I lost both parents, Grandma and a Brother and a Cousin, during these periods-I know how dark it can get. Take care--Carl.

Rest in Peace Ingirid, you were great in Where Eagles Dare.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I wish to announce the death of a man who was never famous but, made his mark on this earth in many ways. He was my brother and his name was Danny. He was a U.S. Marine who fought in one of the most viscious battles of the Viet Nam war, Khe Sanh. He won a Purple Heart for his efforts and carried the scars of his wounds that healed and a few scars inside that never healed. He died last night on the birthday of his beloved Marine Corps after fighting lung cancer for 5 yrs. Lung cancer that he developed from exposure to Agt Orange during his time in Nam. In fact, there's been a few guys from his company who also have died from cancer over the years, one just 10 days before him. So, see, he's not famous like some of the celebrities whose deaths we post on here. But what he did 40 odd yrs ago in a non descript valley in a far away land and what he carried with him till he passed last night, to me, leaves a far bigger mark on history than someone from the land of make believe.

Jim,

Thank you so much for sharing with us, about the death of your beloved brother. You're right, he wasn't 'famous', but the title of this thread is "General RIP announcements that might be of interest". Because your brother was dear to you, that makes it 'of interest' to us.

We're so sorry for your loss!

Jim and Sue (aka Chester and the Mrs.)

• Thanks to all for your heartfelt sympathies. Since his death, his daughter came over one night and gave me a couple of his caps that he wore. One is an Olive Green one that says USMC in black across the front of the crown with the Marine Corp logo on the left edge of the bill. I've got an Army one that is just like it. I've taken to wearing his cap for awhile but, not to pass myself off as a Marine but, to honor him and carry a little piece of him with me wherever I go.

• Leslie Nielsen Dies at Age 84

The actor best known for starring in such comedies as "Airplane!" and the "Naked Gun" film franchise died Sunday of complications from pneumonia.

Leslie Nielsen, the actor best known for starring in such comedies as Airplane! and theNaked Gun film franchise, died Sunday of complications from pneumonia at a hospital near his home in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. He was 84.

“We are sadden by the passing of beloved actor Leslie Nielsen, probably best remembered as Lt. Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun series of pictures, but who enjoyed a more than 60-year career in motion pictures and television," said a statement from Nielsen's family released through his rep.

Nielsen was born Feb. 11, 1926, in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. His acting career spanned several decades, starting in the 1950s with episodes of series including The Philco-Goodyear Television Playhouse and Tales of Tomorrow and encompassing several genres. But he became known in later years for his deadpan delivery in comedies featuring absurd situations, including 1980s's Airplane!, a parody of Zero! Hour, Airport and other movies about flying.

After Airplane! became a hit, the film's directors -- Jim Abrahams, David Zucker andJerry Zucker -- wanted to take the film's slapstyle style of comedy to TV. They asked Nielsen to play the lead role in their new series "Police Squad!"

In the show, Nielsen played Frank Drebin, a stereotypical police officer modeled after characters in earlier police TV series. The show lasted only six episodes but earned Nielsen an Emmy nom for lead actor in a comedy series.

Six years later, Nielsen reprised his role for a feature-length version of the show, Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad, as well as two sequels.

In lieu of flowers, Nielsen's family is asking that donations in his name be made "to the charity of your choice.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.c…nielsen-dies-age-84-49651

He'll always be the Swamp Fox to me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vvQJ7ZDg1Y

Edited 2 times, last by may2 ().

• Truely sad to hear this news. While I loved Police Squad and the Airplane movies, I absolutely loved him in Wrongfully Accused. Thanks for the laughs, Leslie. Rest in Peace.

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• sad to here about the death of leslie Nielsen.a good actor in series roles,but very funny in his comedy films.he will be missed.rest in peace mr nielsen.

• Rest in Peace Leslie, loved ya in many-a-film especially the Airplane, Naked Gun and Forbidden Planet movies. I also thought you were great on TV in Police Squad as well as in an episode of Danile Boone. I never got to see any Swamp Fox episodes.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Typecast after Airplane totally typecast after Naked Gun. Hard to imagine Leslie spent most of his career as a serious actor i.e. Forbidden Planet and the captain on the original Poseiden Adventure etc amongst many movies. Always a face that brings a smile will be sadly missed.