FINALLY!!! That talentless hack Spielberg gets what he deserves!!!

There are 30 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,189 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I've not seen Disturbia. I am a big fan of Rear Window, and also of James Stewart, Grace Kelly, and Raymond Burr. Nobody can match Alfred Hitchcock, though some have tried. Nothing can replace those people in today's market. As for Spielberg, I don't agree with him personally, but I do like some of his films. If I am to judge a person on his politics then I may as well not ever watch anything on TV or Video.

Is it me or are the movies going through a remake? There is nothing original out there!

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Is it me or are the movies going through a remake? There is nothing original out there! . . .Cheers :cool:

I think you're right, we've probably seen every original idea for a movie, not once, but in varying degrees, many times. . . . Movies are like history, . . ." they're bound to repeat themselves"

Chester :newyear:

• Hi All

Interesting post! Not sure why you want to call Spielberg "talentless" except that one man's meat comes to mind?

As said by Keith many of his films are now classics and will stand the test of time whether we like it or not. (ET, Back to the future, Jurassic Park etc)

And lets not forget he is a BIG JW fan so he cannot be that bad surely?

(I bough the transformers DVD on the strength of JW voice over! And actually its an OK movie.)

I do agree that there are not so many remakes that can hold a candle to the original BUT judging by my own grown up children and their friends, unless some of these are remade the "younger generations" will never know of them. My children and their friends say "Not watching that cos its black and white"!

So there goes a generation who have written off countless classics.

So how about a compromise? We oldies can rightly maintain the original is best and accept that the remake at least makes the "youngsters" aware of these excellent movies. You never know once they see a half decent remake of say rear window maybe they will want to see the original and get switched on to Hitchcock.

Meanwhile we can all exercise our right not to view any remake we want and continue to view the original to our hearts desire.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• I do agree that there are not so many remakes that can hold a candle to the original BUT judging by my own grown up children and their friends, unless some of these are remade the "younger generations" will never know of them. My children and their friends say "Not watching that cos its black and white"!

Excellent points, Elly! And who knows? Maybe after seeing a remake and being told it's one, some might be interested enough to overcome the 'obstacle' of black and white to watch the 'original.'

Just between you and me :wink_smile:, his affiliation with the Back to the Future movies gains him some big points with us. We never seem to get tired of watching those films!!

As most of these posts show, the thread title expresses one person's opinion . . . and you know what they say about opinions . . . they're like noses - everybody's got one! :shades_smile:

As far as making the occasional poor movie . . . I realize saying this might get me kicked off some John Wayne message boards, but even our beloved Duke made a couple of stinkers during his career (which we have amply discussed elsewhere on this message board previously).

Just my two cents worth!

Chester :newyear:

• Chester,
    I have to agree with you 100% .And I've the saying about opinions before ,too. The only thing was I heard Clint Eastwood say it and he didn't
    use the word noses.
    I like hearing different opinions on things .I guess I just don't like hearing them stated as fact.

• Director Steven Spielberg and his DreamWorks movie studio Tuesday won the dismissal of a copyright infringement lawsuit that claimed their 2007 thriller "Disturbia" stole the plot of Alfred Hitchcock's film "Rear Window".

The Sheldon Abend Revocable Turst, which owns the rights to the 1942 Cornell Woolrich short story "Rear Window", sued Spielberg, DreamWorks and distributors Paramount Pictures in 2008.

Lawyers for the Trust left by the late Hollywood producer Abend claimed Hitchcock had properly obtained the right to turn the Woolrich story into his 1954 classic "Rear Window". But DreamWorks had not received such permission when making "Disturbia."

Both movies are murder mysteries featuring a man staring from his window at a neighbor.

A New York federal judge ruled Tuesday that although there were some similarities between the 1942 book, the Hitchcock movie and "Disturbia", none of them were actionable under U.S. copyright law.

"The main plots are similar only at a high, unprotectible level of generality," New York District Court judge Laura Taylor Swan wrote in her ruling that dismissed the complaint.

"Where 'Disturbia' is rife with sub-plots, the short story has none. The setting and mood of the short story are static and tense, whereas the setting and mood of 'Disturbia' are more dynamic and peppered with humor and teen romance," the judge added.

"Disturbia", which starred Shia LaBeouf, made $117 million at worldwide box offices.

http://www.torontosun.com/ente…/2010/09/21/15432676.html

• I have to agree with May2...Speilberg is not a talentless hack. He calls The Searchers the GREATEST movie of all time, and watches it before he films each and every pictue he makes, just to remind himself how a perfect picture is made...

I can't for the life of me fathom how ANYONE can find fault with someone who does THAT!?!?!?!

Just a BIT off topic, but I need some help...Doe anyone know anything about John Wayne saying that he hated riding horse?!?! In the Munn book, he supposedly said (regarding being a real life rancher) in chapter 26, page 298, that "I still hate riding horses, and go by truck everywhere I can."

I don't have access to the book, and I have no idea as to the CONTEXT of the quote. Please help!!

• I still go by original post concerning this,
    and I agree with you totally.

As to your question about Duke and horses,
    I also read the same and will have to think about where I saw it.
    I think your question is worthy of a seperate thread and have made it so!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I agree the 1958 version was much better than that mush filled poor excuse of a movie Titanic. Titanic, a perfect example of special effects winning Oscars for actors who are only flashy or eye candy but not talented.

The 1953 version of (Titanic) was a great movie even if not very factual. I also love A Night To Remember. I like Titanic better because it has Richard Basehart, Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Wagner and Clifton Webb in it.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..