Ringo Kid update of sorts.

There are 323 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 61,893 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Druthers: noun...the right or chance to choose.

Therefore, I choose to get my druthers, pull a cork and jaw with you all night.

For further reference, please break out your copy of Rooster Cogburn (and the lady) and hear Duke say it himself. :wink:

Hi GT, Jim/Sue,

GT, ahhh, got ye Sarge, thanks for letting me know.

Jim/Sue, thanks to you as well. And I completely agree with you, there has been much to learn on this site. Not only what certain things are, but I have seen reciepes, tech info, medical info etc.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Sorry, had a busy last couple days at work.

I have a 20 gig hard drive and a 9.1 that I am hoping to send to DS once he gets my last PM. I am pretty sure they are in good working order.

I don't want a dime for them Carl, don't even worry about the shipping from my end. You just use it and enjoy!!

HI Todd, Dakota,

Thank you Todd, I do greatly appreciate your generosity and gift. I also wish that I could at sometime, send you something your way as a token of appreciation. I would hope that you will accept that when the time comes.

Dakota, thank you very much as well, and I will keep track of this topic for useful info-as well as for that link you provided. Im so far behind the times but are willing to start learning more about computers again.

You and Todd, are tops in my book.

• NP Carl. It was just sitting here collecting dust anyways. Might as well put it to good use.

I am glad to help you out anytime when I can and if you really don't need to send me anything. Like I said, you just enjoy it.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Oh yeah, I just through in alittle bonus card for you to Carl. An ATI 9550 Pro 128MB video card. That should play any Sid Meier game that you want to play.

DS, if you don't think that card is good enough then just send it back.

The problem won't be the card, it will be the storage space. Some games eat up a lot of hard drive space. You need to check the requirement on the bottom of the game box before you install any games especially on a computer that is essentially 6 years old in technology.

Seagate might be a problem where it won't work well with the smaller WD drive, so I may just remove the smaller drive and use only the Seagate. I have another source I'm talking to today so the fat lady hasn't sung yet. A simply jump from 6 GB to 40 GB is at least 6 months to a year and compatibility becomes an issue. They always tell you anything works but "they" are usually the ones that you can't understand on the phone.

At least I've been doing this for 15+ years and computers for 25+ years. You might be in a hurry for this Carl but patience is a virtue and has it's rewards.

• Well, a few changes to your new computer. I decided that the small hard drives would really do you much good with everything that the Internet would make you have to see some of the things your missing now so I went out to Walmart and just picked up a bigger hard drive. So you'll only have one hard drive but it will be 160 GB which is fairly large compared to some they offer these days. So as long as you don't over do the games you'll be sitting good for awhile. So here are the new specs for your computer:

Dell Dimension 8100
    Pentium 4 - 1.3 GHz
    128MB RAM - Can be expanded up to 2 GB
    256 KB Cache
    160 GB Hard Drive - Brand new
    Linksys 10/100 Ethernet Card
    ATI Radeon 9550 Pro 128 MB - Used
    Generic PS2 Keyboard/Mouse - Brand new
    Samsung DVD Drive (Read Only)
    NEC CD-RW Drive (Read/Write)
    Dell E772c 15" Monitor
    Creative Labs Audigy SE Sound Card - Brand new
    Altec Lansing Speakers - Brand new
    Headphones
    Windows XP Home (SP2)
    Cyberlink PowerDVD Decoding Software
    Various Internet Software (Firefox, Thunderbird)
    Various Graphics Software (Paint Shop Pro)
    DVD/CD Software (Roxio v6)

• :thumbs_up: No amount of words can express all the thanks I have for all of you but especially for Todd, Cindy and DakotaSanta! I appreciate you guys and also appreciate the fact you don't want me worring about sending something as thanks. I appreciate that and I do have to make an offer of something.

My appreciation for what you all are doing, will never be forgotten.

Thank you and best regards--Carl.

• Ringo,

If it were not for our DakotaSurfer we would not have the honor of helping you in this way. Viper and I wanted to be a part of this grand gesture made by DS, so we sort of jumped in.

And anyone else that would like to be a part of this, feel free to let DakotaSurfer know. For me it was a great opportunity to help my friend and get to feel warm fuzzies....These are the kinds of things I'd like to see more reports on the news about. People helping other's and caring about a person they might never meet face to face.

Dakota is, without his knowledge, been moved onto my list of what a real hero is....Hope his wife knows what a lucky woman she is to own the heart of such a man....

I tell you true, Carl, I am as anxious for you to get this computer as you are...And I also want to personally thank Viper/Todd for his part in this...Good on ya pardner!

How I wish it was within my power to fly all of us to a central place so we could meet and have a celebration for Duke JWMB fans and friends...

• Well, the box from SXViper came in today and I was about ready to
    :headbonk::headbonk::headbonk::headbonk:
    him a few times when I went to put in the video card and the power cable was missing. I felt like the Wizard of OZ having to dig down into my box of goodies to look for just the right cable I needed to connect the video card to the computer's power supply. That's one reason ATI video cards are a pain. Fortunately when my hand came out of the box I had the right cable. So the better video card is installed and the system, once I pack it, will be ready to ship out tomorrow.

It will come in two boxes, with the monitor in one and the computer and components in the other. Each box will have it's own power cord in it, don't mix them up please. You will also have to plug in the mouse, keyboard and monitor and sound card into the back of the computer. Be very careful when you plug these in, they go a certain way so if you haven't set one up before take care. The very bottom plug is for your Internet RJ45 connector. It is a tower case so stand it straight up, not on it's side.

The hard drive is 160 GB but because of the BIOS it only formats out to 150 GB and after installing the operating system and a few pieces of software you still have 97% of the hard drive still available.

It does make a little noise, the power supply, CPU and video card all have cooling fans on them. Plus the hard drive makes a little noise, just the discs rotating.

The main thing is, one box is 40 lbs. and the other is 50 lbs. So if you have a back like mine, don't try and lift these things yourself. I'll PM you when I have tracking numbers for you. But they won't go out now until tomorrow.

• Everything is boxed and in the back of the truck to take to the UPS drop-off tomorrow. One 40 lb. and one 50 lb. box. All I can say is it was working flawlessly when I unplugged it... hopefully UPS takes good care of it. It should be there early next week... time for a nap!

• Thank you all, Dakota, Todd, Cindy and all. I can't type in enough words to express how much I owe you all and to let you know how much I thank you all for these gifts. I am in debted to you and this is something that will never be forgotten. If I played the lotto and won it, i'd definately be sharing it with you fine folks here.

Take care and best regards to all of you--Sincerely yours--Carl.

PS, I definately do thank you for getting me my ticket to opening the world for me--and the heck outta the library--where an open world is more closed than one might think.

• Sorry DS, I forgot to mention that the card needed sperate power. I just use one of the mylex power connectors off from the PS. If there is not enough space then use a jumper with a dual mylex plug.

But it sounds like you got it going so no worries, I have had no trouble with that card so it should work just fine.

Hope you enjoy the computer Ringo, we will all probably regret doing this as he will be on fire on the keyboard once he gets it setup!!!:wink_smile: :thumbs_up: :teeth_smile:

Thanks for the kind words Cindy, it felt good helping and it was nice to be able to do it, especially for a nice guy like Carl.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Carl,

I am happy for you and hope to hear from you soon. And the rest of you, what a great group of people here. This is what it's all about. Duke would be proud even though he would not have a clue as to what the hell is going on.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I'm so happy for Ringo :hyper: ...But think about those poor women down at the library. They sure are gonna miss him.:cry2: He's been a daily part of their lives. Ringo, Don't forget to visit them once in a while. :wink_smile: Enjoy your computer!

Thanks for all of you who made this possible. Makes a person feel good. Real good :thumbs_up:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Sorry DS, I forgot to mention that the card needed sperate power. I just use one of the mylex power connectors off from the PS. If there is not enough space then use a jumper with a dual mylex plug.

But it sounds like you got it going so no worries, I have had no trouble with that card so it should work just fine.

The problem was the only connector was going to the floppy drive and the even newer power supplies don't even come with those smaller connectors. Fortunate for me I had a "wye" in my old cable stash from when I had my own business. We're kind of small here so no computer store. I was lucky I had one.

• (The Ringo Kid does the Georgia High-Step as he veers over to the podium to accept his award)

But seriously, I am indebted to you all. You all are a great bunch of Ladies and Gentlemen and if I never visit any other website--this site is all I need. I owe all of ya, and I do agree, I bet the Duke is smiling down on us for what you all are doing for me.

Todd, (breaking out with pink cheeks) Aw shucks ;-))

Mike, I definately agree with you about what I believe the Duke must be thinking of all this.

Mark, no problems there. I will only do emails at the library and will go there maybe twice a week. I get to observe many pretty ladies here--respectively of course.

Jim/Sue, Keith, I definately concur all your words about these fine folks here. You of course, are all in this as well ;-))

Dakota, my everlasting thanks and, My Compliments Sir.