What was the last book you read or are currently reading?

There are 134 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 31,019 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• C'mon, Jeff, fiction is more accurate than "alternative history". :wink_smile:

Stumpy,
    I just enjoy the way Turltedove writes. He has written just about everything and I imagine sooner or later he will do a book about Stonewall Jackson. Now that will be a good alternative history. I always like to think about what if he survived?
    Some of his books are pure entertainment, and some make you think.

• Stumpy,
    I imagine sooner or later he will do a book about Stonewall Jackson. Now that will be a good alternative history. I always like to think about what if he survived?

While it's true that most Southerners wish we'd won the Civil War, it was not to be, Stonewall or no Stonewall. The North just had too much manpower, money, manufacturing capacity, railroads and every other advantage needed for waging war. And after Lincoln found his Patton (Grant), it was just a matter of time.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• While it's true that most Southerners wish we'd won the Civil War, it was not to be, Stonewall or no Stonewall. The North just had too much manpower, money, manufacturing capacity, railroads and every other advantage needed for waging war. And after Lincoln found his Patton (Grant), it was just a matter of time.

So, hopefully, you've been building up your manpower, money, manufacturing capacity, railroads and every other advantage needed for waging war, since then? It may be needed. :shades_smile:

• My next book (hopefully) will be: "Blood Red Snow" which was written by Gunther Koscherek (SP?) It's the Memoirs of a German Soldier who fought only on the Eastern Front. Something that really intrigues me and that I am anticipating reading about, is when they fought all female Russian units. A bit of info on that is that the Russian Female units fought like savages and gave the Germans a pretty tough time fighting against them. Im looking forward to seeing what this man has to say.

Oh and yeah, I KNOW I have a one-tracked-mind. Can't help it ;-)) this stuff is THAT interesting to me.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Oh and yeah, I KNOW I have a one-tracked-mind. Can't help it ;-)) this stuff is THAT interesting to me.

Ringo Kid it is what is important to you. I also enjoy reading German literature. I read more theology than war now, and my favorite book on Martin Luther was written by an east German under communism. It is the best I have read and I have five books of various centuries.
    The same with my Russian literature.
    Both give me a view point that our American writers do not have. I learned this first hand when my relative from England told me about Monty who he survived under in WWII. Monty was not magic, the only thing in the beginning he did was get the troops organized, up early, and equipped. These facts you will not find in our history books.

• I found a real gem at a used book sale today . . . 100 Years, 100 Stories by George Burns. As you might imagine, it's got some pretty funny stories. You gotta love used books sales - I got a $15.95 book for $2! The proceeds from the sale were to benefit a local charity, and was being run by a local Cub Scout pack.

Chester :newyear:

• Thanks Shortgrub, I appreciate that ;-)) Also, if you want a very good book written by a Russian Soldier, one I have that I read and is hard to put down, is a book called: Penalty Strike, and was written by Alexander Pyl'Cyn-who was a Penal Unit commander in WWII. This has soem great stuff in it. The book is still available but is getting harder to find.

• My son, Christopher, is an avid reader. I remembered a book I read when I was about his age, 14, and we checked it out of the library.
    Trustee from the Toolroom, by Nevil Shute, is the book. We plan on reading it together, so, it should be fun.

Well, we even got the Mrs. in on the reading, so we are reading aloud, round robin, and enjoying the story. We're almost halfway through the book, and I must say I'm enjoying it even more this time around because of the family involvement.

Also, I recently received Sarah Palin's book, Going Rogue, which is also proving to be some good reading!

Chester :newyear:

• just finished the latest installment of "the rangers app." quite a good book it keeps the story going if you have read the first 8

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Im currently awaiting the arrival of a great book about the Kurland Pocket-can't think of its title off hand but is an excellent book from what everyone tells me. And yup, this is another Eastern Front title ;-))