Books on Duke- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 467 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 221,594 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Thanks for the link, Lt. Brannigan. But that is my problem. I almost always refuse to pay 25 dollars or more for a book. Unless I really, really HAVE to have it. That's why I keep an eye out and wait to find one cheaper. If I get tired of waiting one day, I'll suck it up and pay that price. But, thanks for looking it up for me, I appreciate the effort.

Mark

I don't blame you, I loathe to pay more than 10 bucks for a book. And I really hate having to pay more than 5 bucks for it as well. What price do you have in mind, so that way I can keep an eye out for you. Well I checked out all the places I could find online and s the best price is 26.00 bucks.

• I could see me going $15.00, and I hate going there, but I would. Thanks for keeping an eye out for me.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I have gone through the list of main books,
    and edited in more information and product description

Thanks Keith

I have a list and loads of pics of John Wayne Adventure annuals and comics. Do you want me to email them to you so you can post them?

Also I have a lot pics of magazine covers JW appeared on and articles written about him do you want me to email those to you to post?

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Thanks Keith

I have a list and loads of pics of John Wayne Adventure annuals and comics. Do you want me to email them to you so you can post them?

Also I have a lot pics of magazine covers JW appeared on and articles written about him do you want me to email those to you to post?

Yes Elly,
    I will open a new thread,
    entitled
    Duke's Adventure Annuals/ Comics

and I'll delete them from the main list.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Yes Elly,
    I will open a new thread,
    entitled
    Duke's Adventure Annuals/ Comics

and I'll delete them from the main list.

I just sent them to you. And you just posted them they look great. Nice that others can enjoy these things too.

I am sure there are LOADS more but it makes a start for anyone who wants to collect in this area.

I am always amazed at the diversity of collectables relating to JW there are and that still keep coming.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

Edited 3 times, last by Elly: Addition ().

• I've got a hardcover book that my son gave for Father's Day in 1997 called "The Von Hoffmann Brothers BIG DAMN BOOK OF SHEER MANLINESS"
    It's a good natured read that addresses the epitome of manliness including Guns, Games of Chance, Chili Cookoffs, Whiskey, Beer and Bar Bets.
    On the cover is a photo of Capt Nathan Brittles, a jar of tabasco sauce, Tequila and Victor McLaglen. There's a four page article about Vic, a large article about John Ford's Stock Company and a 6 page article about Duke, with pictures. They also reprint the original stories from Stage to Lordsburg and The Quiet Man.
    One anecdote concerns Duke's disgust with all the blood and makeup planned for his demise in The Cowboys. Wayne showed up "exceptionally snockered" and all the blood was used up. Wayne asked for more blood to be used, but was told that he had drank it all.

This is obviously not a work solely about the Duke, but he's in it a lot and it's a neat read.

• I've got a hardcover book that my son gave for Father's Day in 1997 called "The Von Hoffmann Brothers BIG DAMN BOOK OF SHEER MANLINESS"
    It's a good natured read that addresses the epitome of manliness including Guns, Games of Chance, Chili Cookoffs, Whiskey, Beer and Bar Bets.
    On the cover is a photo of Capt Nathan Brittles, a jar of tabasco sauce, Tequila and Victor McLaglen. There's a four page article about Vic, a large article about John Ford's Stock Company and a 6 page article about Duke, with pictures. They also reprint the original stories from Stage to Lordsburg and The Quiet Man.
    One anecdote concerns Duke's disgust with all the blood and makeup planned for his demise in The Cowboys. Wayne showed up "exceptionally snockered" and all the blood was used up. Wayne asked for more blood to be used, but was told that he had drank it all.

This is obviously not a work solely about the Duke, but he's in it a lot and it's a neat read.

Thanks for your contribution,
    I have included the book in
    Books On Duke and His Movies

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I have now added some other 'forgotten' books
    to the list
    As the lists become more and more, and harder to navigate,
    I have now compiled two seperate listings,
    Books On Duke
    Books On Duke's Movies

New 'forgotten' additions

THE QUOTABLE JOHN WAYNE: The Grit and Wisdom of an American Icon-Carol Lea Mueller
    Perhaps best known for his classic movie lines, such as Fill your hands, you sons-a-bitches from True Grit, the late actor John Wayne often displayed a spontaneous and biting wit away from the screen as well. This gem of inspiration contains Wayne anecdotes on God and country, the old West, friends and family, acting, and quotes from others about John Wayne the actor, and John Wayne the man.

JOHN WAYNE - A Western Celebration -Jane Pattie
    John Wayne A Western Celebration, is just that, A Western Celebration! This beautifully produced volume is a stunning, comprehensive visual work showcasing the entire collection of the Westerns and rare and vintage movie posters of John Wayne's career.

60 GREAT COWBOY MOVIE POSTERS by Bruce Hershenson (Softback)
    60 full page, full colour images of John Wayne, Buck Jones and Tom Mix

THE ALAMO: A Visual Celebration of John Wayne's Classic Movie- Lee Pfeiffer and David Worral
    Expensive limited release, individually numbered.
    The making of and behind the scenes

CODE OF HONOR:-The Making of Three Great Westerns- Michael F. Blake
    High Noon, Shane, The Searchers

THE MAGNIFICENT SHOWMAN:The Epic Films of Samuel Bronston- Mel Martin
    The stories of the making of such epic films as
    El Cid, King Of Kings, Fall Of The Roman Empire, and John Wayne's
    Circus World.
    Many B&W photographs

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 9 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I saw the book "The High and Mighty" was for sale on Ebay. Has anyone here read it and if so does anyone recommend it as a good read?

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• Thank you, Jim. Yes, Badger, the book is worth the buy. It pretty much is similar to the movie, but really delves into the stories of each passenger deeper than a movie can. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I had read the book long before I saw the film and felt I knew the passengers better than if I had just saw the film.

Click this link (http://www.alljohnwayne.com/books.html) if you want to see my other books about Duke and his movies.

Mark

• Here's our entry in
    Books- Original Stories on Duke's Movies

THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY By Ernest K. Gahn.
    I bought this one in an antique store for a buck! What a find.
    Great story that the movie pretty much followed.
    Goes into great detail on each of the passengers and their story line.

Mark, I'm not sure but I think this was this your contribution?

Here is the book and some reviews on
    Amazon

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Yup, that was me, Keith. I remember finding that book. It was the very first book and started my collection. Funny how collections get started without realizing it. :twitchsmile:

Mark

• thanks for the info there .... i also didn t realise that there were books of most/all the films. were the films based on the books or vice versa?

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• Both, Badger. Some were books first and others were novelized after the film. Examples are Shepherd of the Hills, High and the Mighty, Island in the Sky and In Harm's Way were books made in to Duke movies and MQ, Rooster Cogburn, Big Jake and McLintock were written during or after the movie's release. Some books mirror the movie closely like High and the Mighty, and some bare little resemblance to the film, like The Stars and Their Courses (El Dorado). But all were fun to read. You can't go wrong with a book tied in with Duke somehow. :thumbs_up:

Mark

Edited once, last by dukefan1 ().

• does anyonw know if the john wayne filmography is any good the price is kinda steep and i would like to know if it includes the early years like noahs ark,the deciever etc.those not included in ricci book and if pictures are included??