question about blue ray

There are 40 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 13,826 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• just a quick question, is blue ray movies zoned like other movies, and for any game buff, are the playsation, dslite and such games zoned as well. the lad was asking me and i said i would find out so any help would be great.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi Smokey, I don't know the answer but-I KNOW im not going to restart collecting the new version of DvDs. I have about 500 now and-dont have the money to do so ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I just upgraded my Sky+ satellite box to HD this morning, so a Blu-Ray player is next on the shopping list.

There is no need to replace all your DVDs with Blu-Ray releases as they will be better anyway on an HD system.

I get the John Wayne DeAgostini DVD collection which is up to issue 88, and will continue with them, but I will get any Blu-Ray stuff that comes out as it comes out.

Then something new will come out. Still got lots of VHS video tapes.

Bob

• thanks everyone but im not updating my john wayne movies but if i buy movies from overseas and they are blue ray i just want to make sure i can play them here before i spend out the cash.

was asking about games because son wanted to know as he is interested in finding out that info

cheers smokey

• To me, Blue Ray:vomit: is simply another marketing ploy aimed at getting into the collective pockets of the consumer. Like Carl, I am not going to buy Blue Ray discs to replace what I have and certainly not going to pay the extra freight that the manufacturerers insist on charging for their "supposedly" upgraded products:ph34r:. I am totally happy with regular DVDs and won't change unless I absolutely have to!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• To me, Blue Ray:vomit: is simply another marketing ploy aimed at getting into the collective pockets of the consumer. Like Carl, I am not going to buy Blue Ray discs to replace what I have and certainly not going to pay the extra freight that the manufacturerers insist on charging for their "supposedly" upgraded products:ph34r:. I am totally happy with regular DVDs and won't change unless I absolutely have to!

I feel exactly the same way, Jay. I fell for that money-grubbing scheme in switching to DVD from VHS but I won't do so again. These so-called "technological improvements" just never end and the goal is always the same; to extract more money from the gullible public.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• was asking because some of the john wayne movies havent been released here but i can get them on blueray from overseas so was hoping that they weren't zoned so i could get the few that i dont have

cheers smokey

• Smokey, I too have no answer as to a blue ray playing different regions but I would like to comment on blue ray dvds in general. My son gave me a blue ray player for Christmas and The Searchers on blue ray disc. You guys will not believe how great the Duke looks in 1080p high def. The picture is unbelievable. Now I have to start looking for other Duke movies on blue ray. If you get a chance check out a blue ray player. :shades_smile:

I totally agree with you.For more,I bet that a blue-ray disc is more expensive than a normal DVD.I will look for the time when these products will be more affordable!

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

• Actually the prices have been dropping quite rapidly lately for the Blu-Ray players. You can easily find one for under a $100 us. Check out Tiger Direct for weekly delas. Also, keep an eye out for Blu-Ray discs, I picked up "The Searchers" for $9 at Sams Club about 6 months ago. The problem is, you need a hi-def TV to get the full benefits of Blu-Ray. That is were you will spend your greatest amount of money. But even hi-def TV's have been dropping in price and if size is not a issue you can get 32-40 inch TV's for $500-$900 dollars if you look around.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I'm generally behind the curve when it comes to technology. I manage to get by without a smartphone, a tablet computer and killer apps. My TV is a Sony, which means it will never wear out. Hate to retire my faithful friend, but I just have to see Duke in HD!

• I'm generally behind the curve when it comes to technology. I manage to get by without a smartphone, a tablet computer and killer apps. My TV is a Sony, which means it will never wear out. Hate to retire my faithful friend, but I just have to see Duke in HD!

Hi Nordy, I'm a self confessed techno geek so probably right at the other end of the spectrum so thought I'd give you a quick heads up!
    There's no point in buying a Blu ray player if your tv isn't up to showing the higher definition, a common mistake some of my friens have made, so you'd need the player and tv to kick things off.
    On the plus side, most of the Duke transfers onto Blu ray have been exceptional and a noticeable step up from the DVDs. The other bonus is your old DVDs will be upscaled to the higher definition of the new tv so they'll look better than ever too!
    The big trail is amazing on blu ray, Just thought I'd try and make it easier for you to justify making the jump!:wink_smile:

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• If you get a new TV for Blu-ray, make sure it's 1080p (not 720 or 1080i) and at least 40 inches. Smaller than 40 inches, you won't really get the benefits of the Blu-ray upgrade.

• If you get a new TV for Blu-ray, make sure it's 1080p (not 720 or 1080i) and at least 40 inches. Smaller than 40 inches, you won't really get the benefits of the Blu-ray upgrade.

Why is that? I mean the 40 inch sets.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I've been through VHS, laser discs, DVDs and now Blu Rays. Managed to miss Beta anyway. I have a 50 inch Pioneer 1080 plasma set in the family room and have converted our basement into a home theater with a liquid crystal projector, five speaker surround sound with a sub-woofer, stadium seating complete with cup holders and a popcorn machine.
    The Blu Rays have jaw dropping quality but I don't plan to replace all my other formats. If you monitor Amazon you can find some very cheap Blu Rays. "The Comancheros", for example, is only $10.00 and boasts one of the sharpest transfers I've ever seen. It also has lots of extras unavailable on the other formats. Blu Rays are the closest experience to actually going to the theater.
    I figure life is short, and my wife and I are movie fans, so this is our big indulgence.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I've been through VHS, laser discs, DVDs and now Blu Rays. Managed to miss Beta anyway. I have a 50 inch Pioneer 1080 plasma set in the family room and have converted our basement into a home theater with a liquid crystal projector, five speaker surround sound with a sub-woofer, stadium seating complete with cup holders and a popcorn machine.
    The Blu Rays have jaw dropping quality but I don't plan to replace all my other formats. If you monitor Amazon you can find some very cheap Blu Rays. "The Comancheros", for example, is only $10.00 and boasts one of the sharpest transfers I've ever seen. It also has lots of extras unavailable on the other formats. Blu Rays are the closest experience to actually going to the theater.
    I figure life is short, and my wife and I are movie fans, so this is our big indulgence.

We deal in lead, friend.

Hi Gorch,
    I'm with you there. I've been through all the formats and wouldn't have made the change to Blu Ray had the quality not been a big step up.
    In reality, the improvement in picture quality is similar from the change from VHS to DVD.
    I think the misconception re Blu ray is many systems you are watching on aren't really set up to show the full potential on the discs.
    Any tv that isn't 1080p, the resolution, 100mhz, the flicker rate, just won't do the discs justice.
    Also, you can get multi region Blu ray players now which means you can chop and change without worrying where the Blu rays originate from, pretty handy for me as most of the Duke's films are only out in the US and not in the UK yet.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"