Who Played the Worst Cowboy, and What Was The Worst Western

There are 112 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 33,903 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Although "The Villain" has a high-dollar cast (Kirk Douglas, Ann Margret, Arnold the Governator), it belongs on the list of worst westerns???????????, IMO.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Although "The Villain" has a high-dollar cast (Kirk Douglas, Ann Margret, Arnold the Governator), it belongs on the list of worst westerns???????????, IMO.

The problem with The Villain, is that it takes its cues from the Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner cartoons and makes them extremely predictable. The movie is like a Looney Tunes paint by the numbers exercise, you can see the gags coming from a mile away.

And somehow Hal Needham made once funny gags dull and boring.

That was the first movie that I thought of... But as I thought about it more... I did sort of enjoy it... kind of a poor attempt at a blazing saddles theme with roadrunner comedy added in.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

I saw this when it had its theatrical release and thought it rather cute and entertaining, despite the gags being telegraphed.
    Its hackneyed these days but still has its moments!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• had to give this some thought... but some folks just shouldn't be in western's and the crew from the quick and the dead fit that pistol..with exception to gene hackman.. he does pretty good..

That'll Be the Day!

• I saw this when it had its theatrical release and thought it rather cute and entertaining, despite the gags being telegraphed.
    Its hackneyed these days but still has its moments!

Heh heh, wow, im surprised so many people dislike this movie. I love it because of several things including: Ann Margaret, the use of Looney Toons-like gags and such, the cast and because Paul Lynde was hilarious as the Indian Chieftan: "Nervous Elk". Nobody else could have pulled that off like he did.

One "new" worst western comes to mind. I absolutely hated: A Town Called Hell? or whateverthehellitscalled? It had Henry Fonda and Aldo Ray in it-which is the only reasons why i watched it to begin with.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Heh heh, wow, im surprised so many people dislike this movie. I love it because of several things including: Ann Margaret, the use of Looney Toons-like gags and such, the cast and because Paul Lynde was hilarious as the Indian Chieftan: "Nervous Elk". Nobody else could have pulled that off like he did.

The use of Looney Tunes gags is a pretty novel idea I'll admit, but when you can see them coming a mile away they lose their charm.

Paul Lynde is indeed great as Nervous Elk, and is one of the highlights of the movie.

• I would like to nominate Dancing with Wolves but purely on a technicality as I have managed to stay awake/interested long enough to see all of it it will get a bye ball:))):

Silverado and Wyatt Earp spring to mind as possibles (there is a common thread here somewhere). However, the one that stand out with a silly title, loads of big names and is generally awful is Shalako.

I have watched it a number of times hoping it would improve with repeated viewing it doesnt.

Frisco Kid with Gene Wilder & Harrison Ford is another awful movie. TCM seem to love showing it .

• I would like to nominate Dancing with Wolves

Read my post about subjective opinions, Mike. I'd be willing to bet that your opinion about "Dancing With Wolves" is so far down the minority ladder that you're never going to get to the top.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I second your nomination for "Dances With Weasels". I hated that movie the one and only time I tried to stomach watching it. I also think that Saving Private Ryan is also way overrated.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi

I'm amazed that i haven't put up a nomination before but I yhink the Oklahoma Kid has to be amongst the worst with a cast of James Cagney as the kid all three feet four of him with a twenty gallon hat and boots up to his neck and Bogart playing a Mexican villian the mind boggles.

Regards

Arthur.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• That was mine as well Arthur.
    I am sure we've posted all this before on another thread,
    but I can't seem to find it!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England