I am VERY annoyed with AMC right now...

There are 24 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,357 times. The latest Post () was by Jay J. Foraker.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• In watching the John Wayne marathon on AMC, I had no real expectations as to the overall quality of the editing of the end product. In THAT regard, I have been quite pleased overall.

What I'm actually P***** O** about, is the fact the researchers at AMC can't get their facts straight. The marathon is being hosted by the married couple of Jewel & Ty Murray, btw...

#1. When introducing The Wings of Eagles, Jewel introduces this film (reading cue cards no doubt, so don't blame her) as being
    based on the life of Frank "Spid" Wead....what the hell is that???? The man's name was Spig. All you had to do was look it up on the web, and EVERY reference would show that...that's inexcusable on the part of AMC and their researchers...BTW, I watched it the 2nd time it came on just to make certain of what I heard.

#2. When describing the famous quote John Wayne made in True Grit during the "reigns in the teeth" scene, Ty Murray proceeds to say..."Fill your hands, you 'sons-of-bitches'"....as we all know, he was responding to Ned Pepper (Robert Duvall), who had responded to his promise (Rooster's) to see him hanged at Ft. Smith. The line was..."Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!"

I realize that this may seem a bit like a rant, but one would think that an entity as prominent as AMC would strive for accuracy in their "All-American" weekend...

• The first one is inexcusable. However the second one sounds more like a faulty memory on the part of the host... and unless you know for he was reading of the cue card and not recalling the scene on the spot, It seems harmless to me.

• Normally, I would completely agree and let it go - the 2nd one, I mean. But as one who's been in "the business" for as many years as I have can attest to, I can tell when someone is reading cards...he's just doing his job.

As I said, I'm not blaming Ty at all, it's the careless nature of AMC that I've taken issue with...

All that aside, I WILL concede it is possible that they just let it go as an unintentional slip, rather than do another take. It DOES happen, you know!

Ty Murray's not known as a great actor, or screen presence, for that matter. But he did a really good job, as did his wife, Jewel.

• I'll bet the first was a typo on the cue cards, and the 2nd maybe a bit of
    "paraphrasing" on the part of the host-or not.

Wish I could see the marathon tonite, but I'm at work and that channel won't come in. I DO get a channel with a James Bond marathon so it's something-

• Besides the host, I've sworn off AMC because of the damned commercials! 10 mins of movie and then 5 mins of commercials, no way to get in to the movie before a break.

Tried to watch Back to the Future the other night, and it took AMC 3 hours to show a 2 hour movie.

• Thanks to the commercials on AMC, I rarely watch them anymore. Ive been watching as much of the Duke Marathon but, like Kevin said but in other words-their over usage of commercuials is a big turn off. I liked AMC much much better in the days when they ONLY played movies over 30 years old (and did a great job of it) and when the never had any commerials. I also HATE the fact that they play some of the raunchiest stupid slasher flicks too >;-(( I wonder when they will get around to paying all those: "Saw" flicks as well as those VERY stupid: "Wrong Turn" pieces of garbage?

I think AMC needs to start a 2nd channel-make the first one their "Flag" channel and get back to the formula they had ala 15 or mor eyears ago, and have the 2nd channel with all the gore and commercials and such.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Thanks to the commercials on AMC, I rarely watch them anymore. Ive been watching as much of the Duke Marathon but, like Kevin said but in other words-their over usage of commercuials is a big turn off. I liked AMC much much better in the days when they ONLY played movies over 30 years old (and did a great job of it) and when the never had any commerials. I also HATE the fact that they play some of the raunchiest stupid slasher flicks too >;-(( I wonder when they will get around to paying all those: "Saw" flicks as well as those VERY stupid: "Wrong Turn" pieces of garbage?

I think AMC needs to start a 2nd channel-make the first one their "Flag" channel and get back to the formula they had ala 15 or mor eyears ago, and have the 2nd channel with all the gore and commercials and such.

Yeah Ringo, I remember when AMC was a great station, just like TCM. You got to see movies commercial free and they were older movies most of the time. Then, Cablevision, out of NY and owners of the NY Rangers and Knicks bought AMC and turned it into your typical tv channel. I remember Nick Clooney, father of George, was one of the hosts, much like Robert Osborne on TCM. I rarely watch it anymore. They take about 3 hours to go through a 2 hour movie. Good example, later tonight they're showing The War Wagon and it's on from 1:30 to 4:00. So figure about a good hours worth of commercials.

• I agree with the rest of you. Last night they were showing McLintock on AMC and it was from 7-10pm CST, about the same time Encore Westerns was showing McLintock and it was 1 hour shorter movie with no commercials.

By the way, right now on Encore Westerns is "The Fastest Gun Alive" with Glenn Ford. I like that movie!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• You know guys. I have been watching the marathon off and on all weekend and enjoyed it a lot. I overlook what was said by the hosts, mainly not paying no attention to the segment. If you want to know the truth of the whole matter, I have all the movies on VHS (except Shepherd of the Hills) and DVD, and more. I guess what I am saying, I ignore commericals all together, and enjoy just seeing Duke. This is, in my opinion, a marathon for those who don't collect movies and wanting to see Duke and those who may not know anything about John Wayne and his movies (yes, there are some out there).

Watching right now, North to Alaska.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Ticks me off too! I enjoy seeing the Duke but it really frosts my cookies how AMC takes advantage of the audience that way!

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• I agree with the rest of you. Last night they were showing McLintock on AMC and it was from 7-10pm CST, about the same time Encore Westerns was showing McLintock and it was 1 hour shorter movie with no commercials.

By the way, right now on Encore Westerns is "The Fastest Gun Alive" with Glenn Ford. I like that movie!!

Now if Encore Westerns channel would have a John Wayne marathon . . .

To AMC's credit, they definitely want to engage Wayne fans on their web site.

• Yeah Ringo, I remember when AMC was a great station, just like TCM. You got to see movies commercial free and they were older movies most of the time. Then, Cablevision, out of NY and owners of the NY Rangers and Knicks bought AMC and turned it into your typical tv channel. I remember Nick Clooney, father of George, was one of the hosts, much like Robert Osborne on TCM. I rarely watch it anymore. They take about 3 hours to go through a 2 hour movie. Good example, later tonight they're showing The War Wagon and it's on from 1:30 to 4:00. So figure about a good hours worth of commercials.

Hi Wayne/ Sorry it took so long to get back here to reply.

I was wondering whom bought them out? Thanks and I might actually send them a nasty-o-gram telling them what I think? not that they would listen anyway.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I voted in the tournament, and it's a shame that Eastwood and Duke went up against each other so early in it.

I voted in this tournament as well and was thinking the same thing. But Duke is the best. That is obvious.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote