Civil War places to visit

There are 29 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,229 times. The latest Post () was by kilo 6.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Thanks for sharing the pics with us, Todd. My GGGrandfather was in the 1st Maryland Regiment, Potomac Home Brigade and fought at Gettysburg. I visited there as a child, but keep meaning to get back there. The older I get, the more I enjoy reading about Civil War stories.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• This battlefield is roughly a 7 mile area. It is mostly a driving tour. You can bike or walk it but be prepared for a longer day if you chose to do that. It was fun to get away from the Atlanta area. I only have 2 more weeks to go before I go home so next weekend I will either go to Andersonville, Warm Springs or Kennesaw Mtn(they are having a artillery demonstration on Saturday). I will take more pictures and post them as well.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Ive been to Chatanooga. You take a perpendicular railway upto the battle site and there are great views over 5 states from there. There is also a civil war park close to Vicksberg from memory.

• Ive been to Chatanooga. You take a perpendicular railway upto the battle site and there are great views over 5 states from there. There is also a civil war park close to Vicksberg from memory.

I think that was the battle on Lookout Mountain that you are refering to. I never made it that site. I wish I would have though.

-John Wayne

• I've done a considereable amount of reading about the history of America's wars, including the Civil War, and if I remember correctly, there were more Americans killed in that war than in all the others combined, including World Wars I and II. A tragic shame, really.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I've done a considereable amount of reading about the history of America's wars, including the Civil War, and if I remember correctly, there were more Americans killed in that war than in all the others combined, including World Wars I and II. A tragic shame, really.

I guess the old memory is still working okay as the "Introduction" of this report confirms there were more American battle deaths (on both sides) in the U.S. Civil War than in all the others.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I was going to say I agreed with you but now you have pointed it out in a article so it doesn't really matter.

-John Wayne

• I guess the old memory is still working okay as the "Introduction" of this report confirms there were more American battle deaths (on both sides) in the U.S. Civil War than in all the others.

The "others" are Americans who dies in WW1, WW2 and Vietnam put together. Although the figures of those who died in the ACW vary it is about 3/4 million.

There are reports that around 50,000 Brits went over to fight, and a lot of those Americans who died were 1st and 2nd British settlers. There were other nationalities as well including French settlers and I think they wore the 165th New York Zouave Uniform.

Bob

• I think I mentioned on another post that during the Civil War a union army draftee could pay a Canadian to take his place. The sum of money was considerable and one of my ancestors did it. As family lore has it he died from cannon fire but the money was made over to the family and probably helped a fair bit . I also find historic sites to be really interesting. I have not made a point of seeking them out except when I was in Hawaii many years ago.

Greetings from North of the 49th