Movies that put us to sleep.

There are 44 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 16,990 times. The latest Post () was by Dooley.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Any of The Lord of the Rings films put me to sleep. My wife and daughter love them, but I just can't seem to make it till the end of any of them. I TRIED! Just couldn't do it.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I felt the same way about the Green Mile with Tom Hanks. The first few times i started watching it i couldn't get more then half way. Its kinda long. But one day, i sat myself down and said I'm going to finish this movie! I'm glad i did! At first it seemed like a child abuse movie, and i can't watch that kind of a movie. So i say to you Hondo and Ringo, when u have the time, try Dances with Wlves again! Pick it up half way into the movie where you left off. You may change your mind! I believe you should see a movie completley befoe making a judgement on it. Of course, thats just me and my thinkin! Bill

• Godzilla, the remake.
    Actually managed to fall asleep in the cinema with all the noise and chaos on screen.
    Watched it on tv recently for the first since, my instincts were right the first time...dire!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Any of The Lord of the Rings films put me to sleep. My wife and daughter love them, but I just can't seem to make it till the end of any of them. I TRIED! Just couldn't do it.

Mark

Same here. I only saw the first one and I was on a date with a pretty Gal by the name of Maria--and I paid more attention to her than the movie. All I remember is some tall guy going around with some dwarfs and something like talking trees and such. I remember nothing else.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• ringo really like that dancing with weasels a good laugh thanks

I aim to please maam ;-)) I never liked the movie and a few years ago I was somewhere where it was being talked about and it just came to mind when I told the people talking about it that it had a direct to video sequel--they too thought it was a great idea for a sequel title :lol::lol::lol:

• I felt the same way about the Green Mile with Tom Hanks. The first few times i started watching it i couldn't get more then half way. Its kinda long. But one day, i sat myself down and said I'm going to finish this movie! I'm glad i did! At first it seemed like a child abuse movie, and i can't watch that kind of a movie. So i say to you Hondo and Ringo, when u have the time, try Dances with Wlves again! Pick it up half way into the movie where you left off. You may change your mind! I believe you should see a movie completley befoe making a judgement on it. Of course, thats just me and my thinkin! Bill

I tried it a few times but-found I hated it more every time I tried. The only part I liked was the opening Civil War Battle Scenes.

• I hate to say this, but lately, I'm finding it hard to sit through most modern movies! Either they're all that bad or my attention span is getting shorter and shorter!

One movie I can think of is "Titanic". Man, less than two hours into that one I started rooting for the iceberg!

Ditto this one too. Also, did you know there was a direct-to-DvD-sequal made? Yup. It's called: Dances with Weasels. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

By the way, Ringo, did you ever see India's version of "Dances with Wolves?" It's called "Tangos with Tigers". A Classic!

• Heh heh, I cna agree with you on Titanic ;-))

Havent heard of the Indian version but--ill bet its much better than Weasels was.

Oh and, fully agree with you on most modern movies too. Too much senseless garbage in them like cusswords ever other word said, needless nudity and gore.

• Heh heh, I cna agree with you on Titanic ;-))

Havent heard of the Indian version but--ill bet its much better than Weasels was.

Oh and, fully agree with you on most modern movies too. Too much senseless garbage in them like cusswords ever other word said, needless nudity and gore.

What's interesting is, thinking of the nostalgia aspect of old films, I started thinking if modern films will stand the test of time?
    In reality, what gives films, books and music their longevity is the quality of the story and storytelling (and melody for the music).
    It's no surprise most films which rate as the greatest of all time are old films.

Most films, and popular music, today are like fast food: gratifying at that instance then instantly forgettable!

• Next is "2001 A Space Odyssey" in which I snoozed without any chemical assistance.

Funny story about this movie - my grandson just recently told me that his history teacher (10th grade) showed the class the first hour of "2001" EVERY Monday throughout the school year until this past Monday, when he finally showed them the end. My grandson said he thinks the only people who might appreciate the movie must be on drugs!

I know, it's a classic, it's got Carlton Heston in it, who I love, and it won tons of awards but I've never made it all the way through!

Dooley, I was wondering you were talking about Chinese food in your post. At first glance I saw wontons . . . :))): . . . it's still early in the day, so I don't think I can blame it on sleepiness!

Actually managed to fall asleep in the cinema with all the noise and chaos on screen.

I have occasionally done this, and I wonder how I do it! I am also annoyed that I have paid good money to take a nap!

I hate to say this, but lately, I'm finding it hard to sit through most modern movies! Either they're all that bad or my attention span is getting shorter and shorter!

One movie I can think of is "Titanic".

I'm with you on Titanic! SO much hype, and the movie was a total bore to me!

What's interesting is, thinking of the nostalgia aspect of old films, I started thinking if modern films will stand the test of time? In reality, what gives films, books and music their longevity is the quality of the story and storytelling (and melody for the music). It's no surprise most films which rate as the greatest of all time are old films.

Most films, and popular music, today are like fast food: gratifying at that instance then instantly forgettable!

The 'instant gratification' perspective is very interesting to me. Many times, I hear younger people raving about the 'special effects' of a movie. I often find those same 'special effects' distracting. I would rather enjoy more development of the story itself, and I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the appeal of old films. If people would simply take the time to watch, they might be surprised at how enjoyable so many old films are.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• What's interesting is, thinking of the nostalgia aspect of old films, I started thinking if modern films will stand the test of time?
    In reality, what gives films, books and music their longevity is the quality of the story and storytelling (and melody for the music).
    It's no surprise most films which rate as the greatest of all time are old films.

AMEN to that--which is why I prefer the older movies much much much more over the new stuff-with few and far between rare exceptions. Im on a Flynn movie rampage just now-once his are rewatched-then ill start with Gary Cooper, James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Edw. G. Robinson and of course--Duke.

• By the way, if anyone wants to watch a great movie or two on the Titanics tragedy--please consider these two titles:

1) Titanic (released in 1953) and starred: Clifton Webb, Richard Basehart, Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Wagner. It's not totally accurate wand really wasnt meant to be-because its a story following a family of four and such--but the tragedy of course--IS the important part of the story.

2) A Night To Remember. (1958) Starred Kenneth More and David McCallum. THIS is the one to watch for the historical accuracy--but also a great story with the fictional parts to it.

• By the way, if anyone wants to watch a great movie or two on the Titanics tragedy--please consider these two titles:

1) Titanic (released in 1953) and starred: Clifton Webb, Richard Basehart, Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Wagner. It's not totally accurate wand really wasnt meant to be-because its a story following a family of four and such--but the tragedy of course--IS the important part of the story.

2) A Night To Remember. (1958) Starred Kenneth More and David McCallum. THIS is the one to watch for the historical accuracy--but also a great story with the fictional parts to it.

NIGHT TO REMEMBER IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST SEE!

Not sure why that's all in caps but never mind.
    The new Criterion release of a night to remember is brilliant.

• NIGHT TO REMEMBER IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST SEE!

Not sure why that's all in caps but never mind.
    The new Criterion release of a night to remember is brilliant.

I always liked it. About 2 months ago I finally broke down and bought a copy. Normally here in the States depending on what DvD site you see it listed on--normally it was priced for around $40 bucks--but I happened to get lucky and it was for only about $21 on one site I haunt. ;-))

• A modern movie to me is something that came out in the 80's or 90's! Very few movies today that i would waste my time on! I take that back, i did keep up with the Clint Eastwood movies. Did anyone happen to see that series on the History channel: The Hatfields and the Mcoys? I missed it due to work. Herd it was pretty good.

• Did anyone happen to see that series on the History channel: The Hatfields and the Mcoys? I missed it due to work. Herd it was pretty good.

It was awesome, wtrayah. I stayed awake through the whole thing! :wink_smile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "