Is there an Actor who will have the appeal that John Wayne had.

There are 11 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,240 times. The latest Post () was by BatjacAuburn.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This topic is unusual in some ways, but to simplify so it won't get way out of sorts. My topic is simple. Is there an actor today that will had an appeal like John Wayne has 34 years (June 11, 2013) after his death? I am a day ahead of his anniversary date. Duke has still been a topic both positive and negative in today's society. His movies are on TV all the time, and he is still popular according to the annual poll from Harris.

Do you think any actor will have this kind of appeal when they die?

Let me start and say, that Harrison Ford could fit that mold. He has done adventure, drama, lite comedy, epic type movies, sci-fi, bio and action. He has been in westerns and TV as well. He does make headlines from time to time but for the most part, his movies are the ones that will be around for years to come and he will in my opinion appeal to generations to come. Is he like John Wayne? Maybe not but he is the closest to him in terms of this subject.

Love to hear your opinions.

And by the way they are opinions, no need to be nasty about it. When you mention the person or persons (male and/or female), tell us why you think they would be in this category.

Cheers, :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Great idea for a thread Hondo! The only one I can think of that could really match Duke in the longterm would probably be Clint Eastwood, he is somewhat of an icon having made many great pictures over a near 60 year career and he also benefits from much exposure to younger and wider audiences by having his films played all the time on television. Another contender could perhaps be Stallone because of longevity, appeal and again his films are never off television. Besides that I just don't see anyone coming close to the Duke in worldwide fame and lasting appeal. While Harrison Ford has been good in a few things and iconic in Star Wars I don't think he's famous or prominent enough to match Duke's appeal worldwide, in 50 years people will probably still be watching Star Wars but I think that will be more about the film than Ford himself whereas John Wayne movies are almost a genre of their own.

• Great idea for a thread Hondo! The only one I can think of that could really match Duke in the longterm would probably be Clint Eastwood, he is somewhat of an icon having made many great pictures over a near 60 year career and he also benefits from much exposure to younger and wider audiences by having his films played all the time on television. Another contender could perhaps be Stallone because of longevity, appeal and again his films are never off television. Besides that I just don't see anyone coming close to the Duke in worldwide fame and lasting appeal. While Harrison Ford has been good in a few things and iconic in Star Wars I don't think he's famous or prominent enough to match Duke's appeal worldwide, in 50 years people will probably still be watching Star Wars but I think that will be more about the film than Ford himself whereas John Wayne movies are almost a genre of their own.

Forgot about Clint Eastwood. He is the closest icon to John Wayne. I will concede to you on that one. And of course the Indiana Jones Movies too from Harrison Ford.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Tom Selleck!?

I've always had the same feeling about Tom as I have about the Duke. I search him out on the TV and will stop on the channel if one of his movies (or TV shows) are on.

• I say flat out, No, no actor today will have the same stature as Duke 10 years from now, much less 34. mainly because no actor TODAY has his stature-not Eastwood, not Ford, not Willis, not Smith, not Washington, not Wahlberg, etc. NO ONE today will have the staying power overall of John Wayne. Sure there may be better actors, and actor/directors, but someone like Wayne may only come along once EVER. I personnally don't see anyone on the horizon, or presently, who will ever match his powerful screen presence, and ideals.

• Well, just for fun, let's subtract a bunch of losers who have no chance at all of being remembered a week after their last turkey was publicly basted by fans and reviewers
    Sean Penn is an over-rated dwarf who somehow has delusions of adequacy. Nicholas Cage is an untalented comic book nerd who churns out a crappy movie every six months so he can pay his tax penalties. Brad Pitt is a hair bag who specializes in trying to look soulful but comes across as constipated. Owen Wilson is blessed with having a split nose that looks exactly like a tiny ass and a whiny annoying voice to go with it. Al Pacino has lost his mind and consistently overacts - at times it appears he did not receive the same script as the other actors.
    Michael Douglas is Spartacus Junior even behind the candelabra and pounds of facial putty that was troweled on by hand. Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman are absent from the Home and late for their nightly bed checks.
    Tom Cruise is holding out for the role of "Grumpy" in the live remake of Snow White (It has Oscar written all over it and is a much better part than "Sleepy"). Jack Black should lose 50 pounds, shave his uni-brow and forever play a eunuch in a toga. Matt Damon should simply stick to liberal roles in movies as he fades into obscurity.
    All the other contenders - Seth, Robert, Heath, Zach, Bradley, Ryan, Armie and Judd - are actually the same person. They blend together into an amorphous and banal stick figure, each of whom is substitutable for any occasion requiring a dull white male actor.
    There. I feel much better and will now trundle off to sleep.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I say flat out, No, no actor today will have the same stature as Duke 10 years from now, much less 34. mainly because no actor TODAY has his stature- NO ONE today will have the staying power overall of John Wayne. Sure there may be better actors, and actor/directors, but someone like Wayne may only come along once EVER. I personnally don't see anyone on the horizon, or presently, who will ever match his powerful screen presence, and ideals.

Amen, alamo221. The Duke's screen (and off-screen) presence of strength, character, dignity and commitment to ideals with which I strongly agree is unique and will certainly never be equaled again during the remainder of my life.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Personally, I don't think anyone, will rise to the star of Duke Wayne,
    as far as I am concerned he is untouchable as far as longevity and popularity.

I too considered Harrison Ford, but lately he has become one dimensional,
    and in my opinion, lately, has made some dreadful films,
    sustainable only by falling back on Indiana Jones.

Too me there is only one pretender/ contender for the throne,
    and that is the now 83 old Clint Eastwood.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• when clint eastwood dies then he will become an icon.he will never touch duke's throne.the only living legend/icon was john wayne.he was and still is 1 in a million.they will never be an actor like him again.

• Eastwood will endure. Probably not to the same extent as Wayne but he will endure. One of the reasons he won't be as popular is that his characters were not always likeable. With the exception of the monkey movies and a few others there was always a dark side to his characters. We talk about Duke's few darker characters with awe (Tom Dunston, Ethan Edwards, Tom Doniphan, SGT STryker) because the vast majority were much more likeable. Eastwood's characters made for better drama but they don't make you love him. The timing will also impact Eastwood's legacy. Duke's emergence before television when everyone went to the theater to see whatever was available had Duke implanted in teh American mindset before "i'll just wait and see it on TV"