Welcome Back Senta

There are 9 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,468 times. The latest Post () was by Senta.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Senta- My Mom's parents were Germans from about 50 miles south of Saratov. They came to the U.S. in 1910. We call them Germans from Russia.
    I am glad you are back, I enjoy reading your posts.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

• Thank you Colkid60, it is interesting information. Do you speak Russian?
    I'm glad to be back, but frankly reading my old posts from several years ago I feel that I have much more to say then...
    Duke's movies are something wich give the feeling about stable values in life, strong characters, that's why I love them so much. And here there is a lot of interesting information. But I'm just a fan, not John Wayne scolar... Just love to watch his movies, that's all.

• No, I don't speak Russian. My Mom spoke German and taught me some as a child. I don't remember much now. John Wayne is the same for me as you. He had values that
    we enjoy and believe in. My folks let me go to movies at about seven. We lived in a small town, Roy Rodgers and Gene Autry were what we saw early on. I remember going to "High Noon" and when it won several oscars wondering what all the fuss was. I grew to appreciate the movie more when I got older.
    Reading and watching as a teen and as an adult brought me into John Wayne's movies. He was not just an actor but a very good actor, stunt man etc. One of the best all time, his values sent him apart,he also was very kind to the fans he met.
    I am now 73 and miss the 40's,50's and 60's. So many fine actors, so much great music. John Ford was also important in all of this including the music. I am glad
    we have all of these movies from those years. I have direct TV and watch several movies most weeks, even many of the 1930's movies are good.
    My wife and I went to Ireland in 2007, with our church,worked at a church in Ireland for a week. Then spent 5 days on our own and went to Galway, Cong and the
    area. A great thrill. Took the "the Quiet Man" tour in Cong. Went to all the external places like the bridge and the train station. Didn't see the original cottage though.
    My wife passed away last December, so my heart isn't in these things quite as strong now. I have wanted to go to, Balzar and Dingle south of Saratov, but I probably will not do that now. I know some of the history of my German Grandparents and their travels, from 1767 until they came here in 1910 and continue to look at that some.
    I find your posts interesting, and your interests are like many of us on this website. Thank you for your response and I hope God will continue to Bless and protect you through the turbulent times coming.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

Edited 4 times, last by colkid60 ().

• Thank you, Colkid60 for sharing this.

I never was in Saratov myself. But you should visit Russia - it is interesting experience.

Interesting that you had this trip to Quiet Man location.