To What Do You Think When You Think Of Holland

There are 33 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,016 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Better watch out for the Portuguese and the English!!
    They did a fair bit of searching too!!

I wasn't trying to minimize the efforts of others, this was a saying one of the few people I've met who were actually born in Holland used to say. I thought it was a bit presumptuous at the time, and is probably the reason I still remember it 35 years later.

Chester :newyear:

• Thanks Jim for the prompt,

And as Jim said, not to mention

William Baffin
    John Cabot
    Sebastian Cabot
    William Dampier
    John Davis
    Sir Martin Frobisher
    Sir Humphrey Gilbert
    Bartholomew Gosnold

Uncle Tom Cobley an all!!

Put that in your Dutch pipe and smoke it!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Yes I think of the dikes, windmills and tulips, but unfortunately what first comes to my mind is the drug and prostitution trade that goes on in the Netherlands.

I don't mean to dwell on the negative but you asked.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Yes I think of the dikes, windmills and tulips, but unfortunately what first comes to my mind is the drug and prostitution trade that goes on in the Netherlands.

Amsterdam is a den of iniquity, that's for sure.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Ha Ha,

Well Jim, there certainly is,even more so, since devolution.
    Now that it's England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland,
    there seems to even more national pride than ever!!
    Without an indepth discussion, as I know, you and I
    don't get too involved in politics.
    I would think most folk here in The UK,
    would rather be, let's say less involved with the EC!

So get the Dutch pipe going!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I would think most folk here in The UK, would rather be, let's say less involved with the EC!

Knowing a bit of European history, and the nationalistic feelings extant, I've always been a bit skeptical of the European Union. Was kinda surprised though when France and (was it Holland?) voted it down since those were two of the countries that seemed to be most enthusiastic for the concept.

De gustibus non est disputandum