To What Do You Think When You Think Of Holland

There are 33 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,056 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• To what do you think when you think of Holland 3

1. Football (0) 0%
    2. Amsterdam, Rotterdam or Den Haag (0) 0%
    3. cheese (0) 0%
    4. Queen Beatrix (0) 0%
    5. Anne Frank (0) 0%
    6. tulips (1) 33%
    7. mills (0) 0%
    8. Michiel de Ruyter (0) 0%
    9. paul Verhoeven or Jan de Bont (0) 0%
    10. nothing I never heard of Holland (0) 0%
    11. something else (2) 67%

This is a little bit strange question for A John Wayne messageboard, but I think that I am the only one Dutch here and I'm just curious to what you think when you hear the name Holland

I think the most of you will answer Anne Frank

veel geluk
    good luck

cya jwfan

• I know I am showing my youth here(not that 37 is young or old :dead: ) but when I think of Holland, I think of a song by Van Halen called Amsterdam. Not the David Lee Roth VH but the Sammy Hagar VH. Hey you asked, thats the first thing that came to my mind.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I think of the Windmills and the tulips. I know of the cities, but those are what come to mind, and that includes the funny wooden shoes. I put it to a vote of the mills.

I think of cheese in Wisconsin. And you taught me that Anne Frank in Holland. I was under the impression that she was in Germany (my mistake; I didn't read the book or see the picture). And though Holland, I assume has a great football team, I think of football in America; i.e. College, Professional, High School, and not what I call soccer.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• jwfan,

when i think of holland i think of cheese and the famous story of the boy with his finger in the dyke, the windmills used to both ground the flour and to keep the water out of the low lands behind the dykes, and cannel boats with those fluffy dogs on them (hope i have the right country)

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• When I think of Holland, I think of the several people I have known, of Dutch ancestry. They've all been very proud of their heritage and to say the least, they were pretty sharp mentally. I also learned of the saying, "God created the Earth and the Dutch discovered it." Presumably they've had quite a heritage navigating the sea. And of course, one always thinks of windmills and dikes and tulips and wooden shoes. Mrs. Chester says she thinks of Corrie Ten Boom, a Christian woman who helped hide Jews and spent several years in a German concentration camp (and survived to tell about it - a very inspiring story, called The Hiding Place).

Chester :newyear:

• I was tempted here to vote for never heard of it :P I only live 6 kms away from the border so that was a no go ;) My earliest memory of Holland is that we used to go buy our butter there and that they had coloured "muizestrontjes".Now if only what to call them in english... :rolleyes:

• When I think of Holland, the first thoughts are of some of my friends who live there. Next I think of the Czecholslovakian Chocolate that my goor friend has already bought me, but keeps forgetting to mail out. heh, course, I have stuff I want to send them but also keep forgetting to get the items in the mail. :headbonk::rolleyes::D

Strangely enough, I also think of Sweden (especially of Princess Madeline :wub: ) when anything to do with Holland comes up. :)

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Jun 27 2006, 10:17 PM

Strangely enough, I also think of Sweden (especially of Princess Madeline :wub: ) when anything to do with Holland comes up. :)

[snapback]32514[/snapback]

Any reason for that Ringo?

• Hi,

I have fond memories of Holland,
    because the first time I ever toured Europe,
    started off in Rotterdam,
    and Ironically, we toured
    up north into Denmark and Sweden.

Simple as that really!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• My first thought was about tulips and other flowers. Most of flowers in pots which you can buy here are from Holland and they are very good one.
    Next thought about football, even if I always against that team when I watching the games.
    Van Gough strangely more connected with France in my mind.
    Regards,
    Senta :rolleyes:

• I can understand that Senta,there used to be a time I thought he was frensh.But ofcourse he lived most of his life in France and died there too.
    Liliane

• Thinking about it :rolleyes: I miss one choice in the poll :o The very good bike roads they have.Most of you people are from countries where riding on bikes doesn't get you far but back here it's just about the best way to get around and truth be told our bike paths are not too bad but the ones in Holland can't be beaten!So I finally voted for something else B)

Originally posted by Moonshine_Sally@Oct 8 2006, 03:04 PM
    Any reason for that Ringo?

[snapback]35538[/snapback]

Hi Sally. Actually I have two reasons liking her. 1) is she is a very beautiful woman/Princess. 2) Princess Madeliene closely resembles my ex-fiance - Heather Ann Musick. I fell in love with her when I first saw pictures of her about 5 years ago.

Best regards--Carl.

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Oct 10 2006, 08:00 PM
    Hi Sally. Actually I have two reasons liking her. 1) is she is a very beautiful woman/Princess. 2) Princess Madeliene closely resembles my ex-fiance - Heather Ann Musick. I fell in love with her when I first saw pictures of her about 5 years ago.

Best regards--Carl.

[snapback]35696[/snapback]

Yes she is pretty enough but what I actually meant was why you have to think of Sweden when Holland is mentioned?There used to be a time when they said that prince Willem-Alexander was going to marry (oh gosh what's her name now?) so maybe that's why?

Originally posted by Moonshine_Sally@Oct 20 2006, 12:06 PM
    Yes she is pretty enough but what I actually meant was why you have to think of Sweden when Holland is mentioned?There used to be a time when they said that prince Willem-Alexander was going to marry (oh gosh what's her name now?) so maybe that's why?

[snapback]36169[/snapback]

Hi Sally, my only excuse is that at the time of my posting, I was at the local library and there were kids running arouns making noise and was almost impossible for me to concentrate. :D

However today, I have this excuse for making mistakes: I'm currently taking seven medicines due to that stomach viris I got starting about Wed last week and really bothering me by Saturday evening. :)

As I type this, I am seeing double (or so it seems) and I am very sleepy due to all the meds.

Best regards--Carl. :)