True Grit (2010)

There are 484 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 265,146 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I just didn't think that the new film followed the novel as closely as the original film. Marguerite Roberts' screenplay was closer to the novel in most aspects except for the ending.

• I am still waiting to see it because I don't go to theaters anymore. So I am waiting for it to come out on DVD. My daughter loved it. And I like reading the reviews from all of you...I am funny about remakes, especially when it involves one of my favorite actors. That is like treading on sacred ground, so I am not easily impressed. When it comes to Duke, I will already be going in ready to judge for the simple fact that anyone would even dare to think they could do it as well, or better.(bud)

Cindy

• Up until this week, i have hated the idea of this film. it was the first John wayne film i ever saw and my dad, a big jw fan, took us all to see it. Rooster Cogburn and John Wayne are as one in my mind and the thought of anyone else playing this part churns my stomach to the pit. however, i realise now, it would be narrow minded of me not to give it a go, so am going to see it (reluctantly) with the family next week. have also bought the book to read, and the postive thought that comes into my mind is that it may bring westerns to a whole new generation of people who have not been as luck as us and been brought up on westerns. Also, if it gets people interested in westerns in general and John Wayne in particular then it can only be good.

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• Up until this week, i have hated the idea of this film. it was the first John wayne film i ever saw and my dad, a big jw fan, took us all to see it. Rooster Cogburn and John Wayne are as one in my mind and the thought of anyone else playing this part churns my stomach to the pit. however, i realise now, it would be narrow minded of me not to give it a go, so am going to see it (reluctantly) with the family next week. have also bought the book to read, and the postive thought that comes into my mind is that it may bring westerns to a whole new generation of people who have not been as luck as us and been brought up on westerns. Also, if it gets people interested in westerns in general and John Wayne in particular then it can only be good.

What Badger said!

• I saw the movie this week and loved it, it was well done, Bridges even did well. I don't care about following the book, John Wayne is bigger then any remake, so we need to get over it. Even John had a problem getting enough movies to make at times in his life. So, remaking a great story like this was a given, why did it take 40 years? Probably because they knew it would difficult to remake a John Wayne movie and get anybody to come see it. I hope they win all of their Oscars.
    It has helped the western movie, this one was well cast, well made and really honors Duke with the quality of the movie. If it had been a poor remake it would not have been good. Also don't you think people comparing the two movies have helped the box office a lot?
    Duke's still selling tickets 32 years after his departure. Those of us who can remember him are fortunate. I was born in 42', I am a big fan, I've been to Newport Beach and took a boat tour. Saw his last house 2 or 3 of his yacht's. Been to Winterset, Iowa, saw every movie many times, just watched "She wore a Yellow Ribbon" and was amazed at the quality and color of the movie. I own dozen's of his older movies. It was a thrill everytime he was on a TV show. In 2007 we went to Ireland and to Cong where they stayed when they made one of my favorite movies "The Quiet Man". I've read, bought at least a dozen books about him.
    I am Tivoing Duke's True Grit on friday on direct TV. No matter what happens you can't take anything away from Duke's movie. They have better equipment and methods of making movie's today, that will be the only difference. Duke's legacy does Not depend on what anybody does, now or in the future.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

• Hey, Moderator,
    I inadvertanly hit the wrong address on the email, and signed off. Keep me on it
    was a mistake

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

• I saw the movie it was ok kind of it was really hard watching the movie without Wayne in it and Matt Damon should never never be in another western he just stunk. The only good thing i can see that came from it is that it reminded people of John Wayne almost every time i seen any thing on the new True Grit they would add a remake of the john Wayne etc.

• jeff bridges, admitted he was only in it for the money, john wayne did it because he loved it !!

Don't kid your self.Duke loved his work but he would not have done it for free. He made movies to make a living.And for what ever reason Bridges makes movies he is very good at what he does.
    PS. I love to sing but unfortunately nobody loves to hear me.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• I have not seen the movie yet, out of reluctance,but from the good reviews it`s getting I think I`ll give it a try.My son who is only twelve years old is a john wayne fan because thats all I watch, has also been reluctant to see the movie, and he says no matter how good the movie is it will never replace the real duke.

• We all agree on that but hopefully, the NTG will inspire a revival of Western movie-making.

If anything it may inspire a few remakes...

High Noon
    The Magnificent 7
    Another Stagecoach...

Who knows maybe even Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Hollywood follows the buck. The film is a big money maker so I hope the Studios realize there is still plenty of western lovers out there willing to drop their hard earned money to see a western on the big screen. Cross our fingers.

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Remaking ANY John Wayne movie is a mistake

First off welcome to this forum.
    But I,am a little confused as to who made the mistake. Not the Coen brothers. Because they have a huge hit and a movie that is up for ten academy awards.
    Look nobody can replace John Wayne his image will always be bigger then life. But in this case he was giving his version of(Rooster) a character from a novel.As does Bridges in the new version. Both are a little different then the Rooster in the novel. In the novel Rooster is in his late forties with a walrus moustaches, unwashed and drunk much of the time. Do you think no one should have ever played Hamlet after Laurence Olivier. Or no James Bond after Connery? You may like one better then the other, but that does not made the other one bad.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Hi Deen Macheen,
    I have made a formal Welcome on the dedicated thread.

Being in the UK, I have not had the pleasure of seeing this movie.
    I will say this, we must treat the two movies, the original and this one as for what they are,
    they are two seperate movies and must be seen as that.

The new movie does not in anyway tarnish the legacy or image of Duke,
    and if it's being does in fact generate interest in the Western genre,
    then I am sure Duke would look down on it favourably.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().