True Grit (2010)

There are 484 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 264,166 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Trevor,

First off, Welcome to the forum.
    This forum, has and always will be,one that allows healthy discussion,
    unlike the Official one, which has not allowed a single remark on the movie.
    Incidently your post, would not have seen the light of day on that forum.

The posts on the True Grit -Remake, I feel have remained a generally
    healthy discussion on a new movie, that can only be good for the western genre.
    The fact that the Cohens have disregarded Duke is of no consequence,
    although it has been mentioned.
    It is to the merits of the new movie, that was under discussion.
    and it appears that it is well received by the majority of members.

Perhaps there maybe some justice in the fact,
    that Duke won an Oscar for his role,
    whereas the new movie didn't win even one!

I am sorry you have taken the attitude of you've 'finally had it',
    as I feel Duke would be disappointed, you are leaving his true fans.

Best wishes, and thanks for joining us,
    the Official board awaits you!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 9 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I can't believe the John Wyane messageboard disregards the fact that the Cohen Brothers have continually denegrated DUKE in their interviews. They claimed to never have seen the original, yet most of the camera angles are taken directly from Hathaways version. I am not saying they have to Love JOhn Wayne but if your going to remake this movie you need to show some respect and they have not done that.
    I have read many interviews regarding this movie and have finally had it. All I need now is a way to resign from this board and find Dukes real fans

TREVOR!
    You have made one post in three years. WE are sure going to miss you.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• I can't believe the John Wyane messageboard disregards the fact that the Cohen Brothers have continually denegrated DUKE in their interviews. They claimed to never have seen the original, yet most of the camera angles are taken directly from Hathaways version. I am not saying they have to Love JOhn Wayne but if your going to remake this movie you need to show some respect and they have not done that.
    I have read many interviews regarding this movie and have finally had it. All I need now is a way to resign from this board and find Dukes real fans

You should have a little flame or trolling tag that you can stick to posts like this...

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Sorry Guys I guess i had one too many last night. I didn't mean to offend anyone, I
    obviously know you are the True Fans. I do stick by my sentiment that the remake crew did not pay enough(or any) respect to the original or the Duke. As for being a troll I posted here before under other screen names, as I changed email over the years I've had to changed my screen names. I'll post something more positive next time.

• Sorry Guys I guess i had one too many last night. I didn't mean to offend anyone, I
    obviously know you are the True Fans. I do stick by my sentiment that the remake crew did not pay enough(or any) respect to the original or the Duke. As for being a troll I posted here before under other screen names, as I changed email over the years I've had to changed my screen names. I'll post something more positive next time.

As I said Trevor we are a forum that allows healthy discussion,
    and that's why your post remained on the board.
    Obviously your points will offend members here,
    as we feel we are the only John Wayne community
    that genuinely develops all about Duke's image and legacy.

The fact that you have apoligised is a start for what I hope
    will be a more positive contribution on your part.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Trevor!
    I for one have moved on. As for the remake I could care less what the Cohen brothers say or do. The bottom line is they made a good western. I like Duke's version better, but theirs was a nice retelling. Take care and hope to hear more from another Wayne fan.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Wasn't offended at all, just a bit taken back at your passion.
    Until you pointed it out, I didn't realize that the Coens purloined Hathaway's camera positioning to that extent.
    They made a respectable western and if they had acknowledged their debt to the original, we wouldn't be having this high class discussion.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I just saw the Coens' version twice in the space of a week and rewatched the John Wayne version a couple of days later and saw as many differences as similarities as far as filming techniques but maybe I missed something.

• For one who hasn't seen the remake of "True Grit" I can't really comment on the camera angles, and as for the Coen Brothers, I am not impressed with them at all. I've seen several movie of theirs and though they have won and nominated, I didn't like what they did. I will see this movie some day, but I will say that several movies of Duke's have been remade and I still believe his are the best.

Think of it this way, movies are being remade all the time, and to me it is a tribute to those who made such great movies then and are recognized enough to get the story out to a new audience. Let's face it, there are many who will not see the old movies, which is movies more than 20 years old and I am talking about the young people under 20. When I mention "John Wayne" to young people they think he is some political person for the "Right" side of the isle. Some tell me they won't watch a John Wayne movie because it is corny, no matter what. They are not to be reasoned with. That is what our "Politically Correct" society has created in their bias, so how do you win? Working on that. There is a generation who will not see any black and white movie period!

So in seeing this movie, some will be curious and may see the original "True Grit" and maybe, just maybe they will appreciate what John Wayne did. Not a fan of the Coen Brothers, but a fan of westerns, good westerns, and this might get some of the young people to see them as well.

I remember a time in my wasted youth that I wouldn't watch a silent film, but I watch many today. "Birth of a Nation" is a favorite of mine.

Cheers :cool: Hondo Duke Lane

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I've seen "True Grit" sunday...
    Quiet good... I imagine the Duke in this movie...
    With this quality of filming and recording...
    Matt Damon i think that is a little better than Glen Campbell..
    Jeff Bridges is good but the Duke is a giant...
    Interesting Hailee Steinfeld who acts first time...
    I like Barry Pepper...
    True Grit 1969 vote 8 1/2
    True Grit 2010 vote 6 1/2

Nobody ever saw a cowboy on the psychiatrist's couch

• More info and artwork for the new True Grit DVD/Blu-Ray:

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced DVD ($19.99) and Blu-ray/DVD Combo ($29.99) releases of True Grit for June 7th. Extras on the DVD will include 4 featurettes ("Mattie's True Grit", "From Bustles to Buckskin—Dressing for the 1880s", "Re-Creating Fort Smith", "The Cast"), and a digital copy of the film. The Blu-ray/DVD Combo release will include all of that plus additional featurettes ("Charles Portis — The Greatest Writer You've Never Heard Of...", "The Cinematography of True Grit", "Colts, Winchesters & Remingtons: The Guns of a Post-Civil War Western"), and the theatrical trailer.

• I watched the new TG on TV last night. I found the acting good, but it was so hard not to compare it to the original. I like the original much better, not only because of the Duke but because of the scenery and the character development. I like the Coen bros. but it was too dark for me.

• In Duke's version, you can truely understand how Mattie would come to feel close to Rooster and care enough to have him burried in her family plot. In the new film, Bridges' Rooster wasn't as friendly and you didn't feel the bond between him and Mattie at all. She seemed to feel more for Labeef than Rooster. I think the new one, on it's own, is a really good movie. But when compared to the old one, it lacks something.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• One thing i dont like usually about modern remakes the pump the violence up a lot, what this like in that regard, im pushing myself to go anyway, but if it's an and out blood bath im not going.

Thats one thing about the classic westerns, the generally knew where th e line was.