Dvd Storage

There are 7 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,350 times. The latest Post () was by smokey.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I've been absent from the board for several days. I've been doing needed work around the house (for instance, I just saved myself more than $7,000. dollars labor costs (according to a quote by a Sears contractor) by installing vinyl siding on my frame house instead of hiring it done.

Another much-needed task I've accomplished this past week was transferring my DVDs from the so-called "keep cases" they come in to those colored plastic Memorex jewel cases you buy in Sams, thus freeing up about 8 feet of bookcase shelf space. I don't especially like the "keep" cases anyway (particularly those cardboard cases used by Warner Brothers) and I loathe the little circular dealies in the middle you must press to release the disc. I've broken at least 3 discs trying to get them to release using those things. Really aggravating.

Anyway, I went to Sams last week and bought 400 of those plastic jewel cases and spent a good 4 or 5 hours today transferring my DVDs. Between a personal library of 800+ books, 2 or 3 hundred VHS tapes (it used to be about 550 but as I've replaced the tapes with DVDs, I've given away the tapes) and about 350 DVDs (including the ones on order), I was rapidly running out of shelf space. Recommend it for those of you running short of DVD storage space. The little plastic "jewel" cases are about half the thickness of a "keep" case (or less) and also smaller in the other dimensions. I printed up labels with all the essential data (title, players, year, duration in minutes and either color or B&W, and stuck them on the cases. I arranged them in the bookshelf by alphabetical order, then printed a list with their location. This may be a temprary fix as I'm giving serious thought to having a cabinet maker build me a custom cabinet for storage, in which the discs can be displayed in their original "keep" cases with the titles showing. But every time I think about that, I think about the little circular "release" gadgets" and have second thoughts. :lol:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• DVD storage has been a concern for me as well. I built shelves for my DVD's and have already run out of space. I have 6 levels about 3 feet long. I filled it up with about 366 DVD's and pulled my John Wayne Collection on a special section to make room for more DVD's. That won't last long, so I'll have to either pull something from the shelf, like westerns or possibly build another shelf.

My question to you Stumpy is with your changing to the jewell cases, what do you do with DVD's with more than one disc?

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• hondo over here you can get cases that will hold the double disc set and they are just a little thicker than the jewel cases about the thickness of a regular cd case. hope you are able to find some over there if not let me know and i will see if i can find some for you down under and send to you

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Apr 16 2004, 10:37 PM
    My question to you Stumpy is with your changing to the jewell cases, what do you do with DVD's with more than one disc?

I just put the extra discs in extra jewel cases, Hondo, and print extra labels, But I don't do that for titles that include so-called "bonus extras", such as the "Ultimate Terminator 2". I'm only interested in the movie itself and could care less about the "bonus extras" that include interviews with directors and cast members.

For instance, I have 2 or 3 sets of Sherlock Holmes episodes starring Jeremy Brett that played on British television back in the Eighties. One of the sets has five discs and another set has about 4 discs. I just put the extra titles in separate jewel cases with their own labels.

Same with some of my older JW "B" movies from the Thirties. I have a couple of JW sets that includes several different JW titles from his "B" films in the Thirties on one disc.

Originally posted by Harold@Apr 18 2004, 01:50 PM
    Question??? When are you going to watch all of THEM??????

I already have. Not all the DVDs, most of which are merely replacements for VHS tapes I've collected over the years but of the film titles in my collection, I've watched all of them many times over the years.

• Going one step farther, as the equipment becomes more available and less expensive, I'm seriously thinking about putting alot of my VHS tapes on DVD, and making copies of some of my favorite DVDs and keeping the original in a safe place, as our children are watching some of these tapes and DVDs quite frequently, and I'm always concerned about wearing them out or being damaged, so figure if they are watching a copy, I won't sweat about it so much.

One example is our 12 VHS tape set of The Little Rascals, which is missing one tape and the boxes are pretty trashed, although VHS tapes won't be worth anything in the future, it would still be nice to have had the originals in mint condition. We just recently got a 12 DVD set of the Three Stooges, which I definitely would not like to see get lost or damaged (they get watched frequently, as we don't have cable, and around here, we get NOTHING if we don't have cable).

I don't think you're violating the copyright law if you are only making a copy for yourself, and you bought the original in the first place.

Chester :newyear:

• hi chester,

if you do this coping just don't tell anyone because if it is anything like down here you can still get in trouble as this is a breach of copy right. they are cracking down on this sort of thing down under. so if i don't know no "loose lips won't sink your ship" ;)

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"