Ebay What Do You Think

There are 63 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 14,485 times. The latest Post () was by triciat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• All I know is it's been a long month. I'm just about out of things. I could get more but not sure if I want to keep selling. It seems like the interest is wearing off already. And the celebration was only a month ago today.

• The thing about Ebay is that if you are buying or selling it is only a matter of time before you meet a wingnut or hood.

On the buying front feedback is the key. You need to study your buyer's record and if there have been any problems. Payment by Paypal although not ideal is proberably the
    quickest and safest method.

On the selling front you can specify to exclude members who have had 2 non paying warnings and/or who have received minus feedback. This will not weed all the deadbeats out but it will help. You can insist on immediate paypal payment for a sale to be ended but this does restrict buyers who dont have paypal.

If posting an item even if not insured keep your postal receipts for at least 3 months.

Finally, when you do have a disagreement with a seller or buyer and come up against the non person existance of Ebay and Paypal dont accept their emails as final.

Respond to each and argue your case. I was refused a refund for a damaged item but
    when I threatened to get a refund from my credit card company they reversed their decision.

Mike

• I'm surprised, I joined e-bay in 1996 started selling in 97 one thing they have always posted is CAVEAT EMPTOR which means in all languages is BUYER BEWARE. I've been sent the phishing from safe harbour which is how I keyed in on it in 1998. the correct spelling is safe harbor ebays fraud unit. I changed my name after I had over 500 transactions because of phishing scams. I have since slowed down because e-bay has gotten too big and too many sub categories too many too scroll through and with that comes much much more fraud. One thing I've always done though is ask all questions before auction ends I don't care if its one of a kind too good too be true, if my questions aren't answered I let it go. I also always ask about refunds and this item is guarnteed not to be cracked chipped or scarred,flawed in anyway if its not posted in descript. I have also been able to negotiate a lower price if I found something wrong with it. Always buy insurance and you should be alright but the truth now days is BUYER BEWARE!! Also Buying comes in fads like John Waynes birthday, the beginning of baseball or football season or when someone famous dies you can buy things alot cheaper if you stay away from time buying and alot less chance of fraud.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• I've only been burned one time on an ebay transaction.

I've always bought - never sold. And I always check the seller's feedback.

About a year ago I placed an order with some outfit in Chicago that was offering the JW book "There Rode A Legend" on a BUY NOW price for $50. Since that was obviously a fair price, I placed an order for the book. This seller had a positive feedback score of over 98%. Since they accepted checks and money orders for payment, I sent them a money order for $50. (I prefer to pay by money order because that way, I don't have to give anyone either my credit card or checking account numbers.)

To make a long story short, I never got either the book or my money refunded. And since ebay charges $25. to arbitrate a dispute between a buyer and seller, I said to heck with it and resolved not to make any more purchases from ebay sellers. I've since made one or two small buys but only if the seller has a 100% positive feedback. Even then, I will no longer bid on anything that costs more than about ten or twelve dollars.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• There policies have changed since you bought that book. I've been through all the departments, dealt with some real shady users and definitely know what to look for except when one pops up from no where and is a jerk in hiding. I didn't start this thread for advice, I started it as what you might call a named & shamed thread. I've met my share of loose screws through the years on eBay.

I had to take one case as far as a small claims court, won and got my money and legal fees. Plus the guy was arrested for fraud so you can go as little as doing nothing to as far as getting the authorities involved. A couple down in Kentucky was running a scam with reproduce merchandise, another was running a scam with stolen merchandise.

When I said things have changed, they have a few different policies now that they bought PayPal and run both together to better help the buyers and sellers. I do agree it has gotten way too big. I pick and choose who I deal with but that doesn't always work. I can say being able to get the entire Franklin Mint collection thru eBay recently was a shock, especially when dealing with such delicate items. Also I've heard all the arguments for not using PayPal but by using it, I've been saved more than once on fraud sales by using it since PayPal is good at dealing with these cases and my credit card always protect me better than a money order.

• The two types of items I have had problems with are breakables like Franklin Mint figures and in the early days DVD which were dodgy bootlegs.

Dakota it is fine listing a name and shame list but the hoods you are hoping to mention change their IDs more often than their underwear!!

Mike

• I wouldnt be surprised if they are so embedded with Ebay with IDs from years ago.

I think ebay would only catch on to mass subscribing from 1 IP address.

They can always pop into their Internet Cafe. I think I also remember reading that they can buy ID that have been set up by others as well as hijacking dormant accounts.

Mike

• Mike,
    This is off the subject but while we're talking ebay, let me ask a question.

I bought a 12" vinyl LP from an ebay seller about a month ago. Good price, as I paid (with shipping) only about 6 or 7 dollars, and the LP was in practically mint condition. It contained music from the TV show "Miami Vice" which I really liked and I wanted the LP to transcribe to a CD via my computer.

The label is Polydor (which I think is British) but playing it blew my mind because when I placed it on the turntable, I set the speed at 33 RPM (which is the speed all LPs I've ever heard of play at) and discovered that speed was way too slow. I had to re-set the speed to 45 RPM to get it to play correctly.

Do all 12" LPs in the UK use 45 RPM as the correct speed for play? Over here, 33 RPM is the correct speed for 12" LP records and 45 RPM is the correct speed for 7" records.

• I quit using ebay about 5 or so years ago. Mainly it was because of the lack of ebay's will to help buyers and they only would help the sellers.

Also, as I collect original photographs and Imperial/WWII German Militaria--there are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many fakes out there on ebay. I admit I was burned a few times--once on a photo and twice on militaria) I learned my lesson--and though I really did not lose all that much--I still decided that I can always get a better deal--dealing with fellow collectors -- ones that I trust, that is.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Like most things, you have to research and use your noggin'. If it seems bad it probably is and you should stay away from it. That being said, I have never had a problem on EBAY in the last 5 years since I have been using it.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Like most things, you have to research and use your noggin'. If it seems bad it probably is and you should stay away from it. That being said, I have never had a problem on EBAY in the last 5 years since I have been using it.

Hi Todd, that is correct. Before I started bidding on ebay I did such a thing. First, I bought about $1,000 worth of referance books dealing with items of my interest. I studied these for months, and when I felt ready to try ebay--I did. I have probably 100 transactions that went perfectly but, those few that did not--for whatever reason--ruined it for me. So just for me--I now only deal with collectors I trust--and besides--they haev what I need so I no longer need to rely on ebay for anything.

I am now confident enough in my research etc, that it would be very hard to fool me on German insignia and uniforms. Medals and Qualification Badges are a different matter. Those too are so heavily faked and can fool anyone because templates for faking awards--are created and used. Those fakes are so good--even the faked aging and wear and tear--that 99% of all collectors/dealers and such, will get burned on more than one item. I wasa burned on two Panzervernichtabziechens (Tank Assault Badges)--but found out in less than a day that they were bad--and managed to get all my money back on them.

Anyway, glad you have never had any problems with them. Oh and, do you remember Ebay's nemisis site Epier? THAT place is was disaster.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Yes, Chester Charlie Varrick was even better LOL.

Seriously ,you miss the likes of Don Siegel and Walter Matthau whose presences in a film as an actor /director raised the quality of any movie.

Mike

• Would make an interesting surprise Jim finding that amount of money but you may have visitors wanting it back:uhoh:

Well, Mike, unlike the folks in the UK, I have more than enough firepower to defend what I consider mine. :hyper: