Messageboard Problems

There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,064 times. The latest Post () was by Robbie.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Regarding the recent problems with the Messageboard.

How many posts/Topics been affected I know of topics that I started around Easter time completely vanishing now.

What is the chances of this happening again.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi Robbie,

I can't say that this couldn't happen again, but I did move the database to another server. Prior to this problem, I had the dukewayne database on a non-production server, now it's on the server I use for commercial clients. The non-production server had a hardware failure which caused the loss of data here.

Plus, the site back up has been changed from weekly, to nightly, so I should have access to a back up of this site that is no more that 24 hours old.

When I found out what happened I was sick :dead: . In fact I turned off my PC and went straight to bed.

Originally posted by Robbie@Aug 29 2004, 11:50 AM
    I know of topics that I started around Easter time completely vanishing now.

[snapback]11114[/snapback]

Robbie,

If you go to the very last pages of the message board, you will find the "gutted" topics. For some reason, the topics themselves weren't removed, but several topics lost all the posts. At least the topic titles are there, so possibly they can be resurrected. All you have to do is click on the topic title, and when the empty topic comes up, hit "Add reply" and start posting again.

I've brought a few back to the front in that way.

Chester :newyear:

Originally posted by Kevin@Aug 29 2004, 10:11 PM

When I found out what happened I was sick :dead: . In fact I turned off my PC and went straight to bed.

[snapback]11117[/snapback]

Hi Kevin

I assume you are putting in all this work free of charge or at less than minimum wages so I want to say that I am thankful for the work you are doing.

Robbie: If my memory serves me right I think we had passed 11000 posts so I think nearly 2000 posts have been lost.

Luckily the biggest asset on this board are the people posting. Judging by how helpful people have been in the past I'm sure they will answer the questions again if they are asked.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• Popol Vuh,

Your correct, what little ad $ goes to skyecom.net to go towards the month cost of hosting the site. I certainly don't make money on this site, but I do get the satisfaction, and pleasure (as anyone would out of a hobby) in maintaining this site. ;)

• Hi Kevin

Regarding my original post on this thread it does come across as a little discourteous and ungenerous towards yourself this was certainly not my intention. I as I'm sure everyone else on this messageboard board is am very grateful for the time and energy you contantly spend maintaining and upgrading this board, it is a place I enjoy visiting and I hope it will be around for a long time to come, so thanks Kevin for all your hard work.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie