Computer Lingo

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,191 times. The latest Post () was by SXViper.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi all

My university course requires me to do a one year industrial placement at an IT firm and I have just started this week.

Its not going too bad however I sometimes feel a little out of my depth regarding the computer items and lingo etc e.g. the difference between an external and internal modem etc.

My question is are there any sites I can visit that could give me reasonably simple answers to my queries. I was thinking of posting them here and getting you all to answer but I think you would appreciate that.

Thanks in advance.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• hi robbie

the only site that i can think of at the moment that may be able to help you is called CNET, or you could go to mirosoft themselves and get their help good luck with this.

by the way the difference between and external and internal modem is that the internal one is like a card that slots into your motherbaord inside your pc where as the external on is attached to your computer no matter the size by a cable into a usb port.

hope this helps you

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi Robbie.

I don't really have any links for that specific purpose, but put in a good search in Google and you wil find answers to almost anything. You'll probably also find some sites where you find about what you are looking for.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• Robbie, if its hardware related I can probably help you with allot of your questions. I have some software knowledge as well but my expertise is mainly in the hardware. I work for Big Blue.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi everyone thanks very much for your replies.

Regarding internal and external modems how do each work and what is the advantages and disadvantages of one over the other.

USP plugs what are these and what do they look like.

Finally regarding pixels how does this work and what pixels format represent the best quality.

Sorry if my questions seem very basic its just my knowledge is a little rusty at this moment in time.

If anyone wants me to stop asking these questions e.g. as they may not be keeping in line with the board feel free to tell me and I will stop.

Thanks
    Rob

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• This is long winded and if I didn't answer your questions with what you wanted to know, let me know.

Regarding internal and external modems how do each work and what is the advantages and disadvantages of one over the other.

Int and ext modems work exactely the same. The differences are in the advantages and disadvantages. External modems have there own power source so they are more expensive. But, if one fails, you simply replace it without opening the covers on your computer or even turning off your computer for that matter. Internal modems require a slot on your system board and if you have a micro system board, this is where a ext modem would be a better choice.

USP plugs what are these and what do they look like.

Here is a link explaining what I think you are refering to. Its much easier to read the page and look at the pics instead of having my ramble on or type it all out.

Finally regarding pixels how does this work and what pixels format represent the best quality.

Think of pixels as a bunch of dots on your screen. Now if you have allot of pixels your picture or video will be much better looking then with less. One pixel is about the size of a period (.) in 12 point font. Now this takes us to resolutions which are how a video card displays a picture on your computer. Most people run there comuters are 800x600 or 1024x768. But you can run higher and that is dependent on your hardware. Here is a layout of display resloutions. These change as manufacturers create better displays/tvs and video chipsets which are on your video cards.

Computer Standard Resolution
    VGA 640 x 480 (4:3)
    SVGA 800 x 600 (4:3)
    XGA 1024 x 768 (4:3)
    WXGA 1280 x 768 (15:9)
    SXGA 1280 x 1024 (5:4)
    SXGA+ 1400 x 1050 (4:3)
    WSXGA 1680 x 1050 (16:10)
    UXGA 1600 x 1200 (4:3)
    UXGAW 1920 x 1200 (1.6:1)
    QXGA 2048 x 1536 (4:3)

Analogue TV Standard Resolution
    PAL 720 x 576
    PAL VHS 320 x 576 (approx.)
    NTSC 640 x 482
    NTSC VHS 320 x 482 (approx.)

Digital TV Standard Resolution
    NTSC (preferred format) 648 x 486
    D-1 NTSC 720 x 486
    D-1 NTSC (square pixels) 720 x 540
    PAL 720 x 486
    D-1 PAL 720 x 576
    D-1 PAL (square pixels) 768 x 576
    HDTV 1920 x 1080
    Digital Film Standard Resolution
    Academy standard 2048 x 1536
    DVD 720x480
    Laserdisc 560x360

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne