The Members Chat Thread

There are 1,201 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 362,566 times. The latest Post () was by gettingold80.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Jim and Bob,
    If you can find that fountain, you will let us know, won't you?
    You're quite right what you say Jim, in your early fifties,
    things seem pretty much like they did, in your thirties, and forties,
    but boy, what ever happens when you get to 55plus, I just don't know.
    Everything seems to slow down and go to pot, but girls, don't let that
    alarm you, some things sure don't slow down!!

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Originally posted by ethanedwards@Aug 21 2005, 06:22 AM
    You're quite right what you say Jim, in your early fifties, things seem pretty much like they did, in your thirties, and forties, but boy, what ever happens when you get to 55plus, I just don't know.
    Everything seems to slow down and go to pot

Actually, I was in pretty darned good health until I turned 65. Never even had headaches. My wife used to say to me, "You're disgustingly healthy".

But at 65 I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, shortly afterwards I had to have quadruple bypass surgery, then arthritis set in and man, it's been all downhill since then.

However, I guess I can count my blessings. My paternal side of the family has a history of heart disease. Every single one of my immediate line of paternal ancestors died before they were 65; in fact, my grandfather on that side died when he was 48; my favorite paternal uncle died at 48; the other uncle at 55, an aunt at 59 and my dad, who lived the longest, died at 62. So I've already outlived them all. But the way I hurt with arthritis and the other aches and pains of old age, I sometimes wish I hadn't.

My past has caught up with me. Until I was about 50, I burnt the candle at both ends. Smoked two packs a day, drank like a fish, partied 'til the wee hours, and never gave a thought to what I was doing to my health. Now I'm paying for it.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Originally posted by ethanedwards@Aug 21 2005, 08:20 AM
    Apart from all that, Jim, you feel fine????

I'd feel a lot better if I could still crack open a half-gallon of Jack. :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Stumpy,

Something that has helped me, that may help you, is glucosamine chondroitin, available at Costco at the best price I've been able to find (also available at health food stores - do they have those in Texas?). At first I started taking it for my back, as working in construction I've usually had a back pain/spasm two to three times a year that would have me limping around for a few days. I started taking this supplement about three years ago, and haven't had any disabling back problems since. I noticed that an ache in my hip (feeling what I would expect rheumatism to feel like) went away after about a month of taking the glucosamine chondroitin. Once, after taking it for about a year, I got lazy and stopped taking it. After about of month of that, I noticed that the pain in my hip was gradually coming back. Boom! I started taking it again, and three weeks later, it was gone again. I have taken it faithfully ever since.

I will be 58 in December and feel like I'm in fairly good health. I've noticed in the last six months that after driving for an hour, I'm pretty darn stiff for the first thirty seconds. Welcome to the senior set's downside!

Chester :newyear:

• hi all

maybe we should rename this one as "Welcome to the old farts page" :lol: i have told you time and time again you are only as old as you want to be go forth and be young feel young at heart and you will have a young outlook on life and chester i would have thought that you would have felt the youngest as you still have a little bloke to keep you on your toes :lol:

had a great laugh at the change sure fits what has been going on to a tee

looks like all of the other ladies have fleed in fright what with all this talk of getting old :lol: ;) dont count yourselves short there is still tread on these old wheels :lol:

hooroo smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• About 18 months ago, when I first began experiencing arthritis pain, my family doctor prescribed Vioxx for it. Well, you know what happened with Vioxx. So after I stopped taking that medicine, he prescribed Bextra. Da da da da - it too was taken off the market for fear it caused heart attacks. I told 'im, "Hey, Doc, those cures you're prescribing are worse than the disease." :lol:

Anyway, I just don't take any of those NSAIDs anymore. And frankly, I can't tell much difference as the ones I was taking didn't seem to relieve the arthritis pain anyway. I may try that stuff you've suggested.

• Don't gloat so much, Smokey. You'll be an old fart too one of these days and will probably have the same aches and pains as the rest of us.

• hi stumpy

i have to say that when i have a cold or feeling unwell i feel old what with all the aches and pains also sitting on the floor playing on the little blokes playstation got stiff as a board after 2 hours trying to get all those gold medals for him. will be up with you guys before i know it so while i can laugh i will :lol: :lol: having the little bloke around dont have the time to feel all the aches and pains yet

hooroo smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi everyone,
    Well I sure don't feel like an 'old fart'
    just the occasional reminder.
    However like Chester, I also have, not one, but two young
    ones to keep me feeing young at heart.
    I am sure the real remedy, is to have a few young girls
    back on this thread, that'll sure put a spring back in our steps!!

Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Originally posted by ethanedwards@Aug 21 2005, 11:16 AM
    I also have, not one, but two young ones to keep me feeing young at heart.

Well, I've had young ones and I've had arthritis and I'm not sure which is worse. :lol: :lol:

All I know is that I enjoy being an "empty nester".

My "kids" are 45, 42 and 34 years old and on their own. Sure is peaceful around my house. :lol:

• Hi Jim,
    Sounds like more than just a bit of pain here and there,
    I can't say that I fancy that at all, and at least you handle it with a bit of humour?
    However it sounds lovely and peaceful at your place,
    do you think I could move in?
    It's a nightmare with these kids!!
    Anyway it might be nice for you,
    having another 'Old fart' around!!

Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Puleez!!

Give it a rest Keith. The girls don't want you and now you start hitting on the men?

• I see you have leap-frogged over me this weekend, Keith, and moved ahead of me on posts. Congratulations! I think you are probably the fastest poster here on the JWMB. Keep it up. I enjoy our repartee!
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Jay,
    Likewise my friend.
    There was a lot of activity, going on over the weekend,
    on here, and with one or two of the members, on other threads.
    When you get involved, the posts just mount up.

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hello All
    I must echo the thumbs up for glucosamine although the bottle of Jack does have a ring to it. Kilo

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi everyone,
    This thread seems to be turning into a surgery
    and medical forum, can we get onto something lighter??
    As long as it's not Snakes and Carnivores!!
    What happened to all the lust and flirting??

Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I agree, Keith, we've got to get something lighter and more entertaining.

Unfortunately, for us, we have learned that there is a possibility that our retirement home in Oregon (where we had hoped to retire to, as Senior Members) may have fallen victim to a wildfire. We've been glued to the news, trying to find out. The house is in the middle of 40 acres, and over 2000 acres are currently on fire, and from all the descriptions I've read so far, the danger is real.

More later . . . .

Chester :newyear: