What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,457,531 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Probably tonight will be one of my five newest John Wayne DvD purchases, which is: The Shootist. Though I like the film and all of the actors-it is not one of my favorite Duke movies-I think mainly because he dies-and there are a few swear words in it-something I aint used to-in a Duke movie.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• The DVD of "The Naked Spur" was finally released in our country.
    I bougtt it soon and watched.
    In this film,Jimmy is not usual him. He is a cold hearted bounty hunter.
    but great western i think.
    He climbed the rapid mountain with a help of spur like a clamper
    and throw spur against Robert Ryan's face!

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• rented SERAPHIM FALLS
    liam neeson,pierce brosnan.
    after the civil war ex confederate colonel tracks ex union captain for past misdeeds. better then you would think. extras brosnan talkes about the fun two irishman had palying in a western and how he loved watching clint and duke in their westerns.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Eh...it was ok. The movie could have been a lot better than it was, but it wasn't a stinker either. Kind of middle of the road. Casey Affleck did a good part as Robert Ford, but he mumbled too much, making it hard to understand him in some scenes.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Yesterday one of our local TV stations played an episode of: Gunsmoke--to my extreme surprise. Anyway, it was a better than average episode in which Claude Akins also starred in it as a US Marshal who temporarily took over Matt's job.

Also in this episode, you find out that Matt had been in the Confederate Army-something I never knew about the character. :teeth_smile: :thumbs_up:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Over the past couple weeks that I have ben absent I watched a number of westerns and I purchased one that I didn't have, "The Cowboys" Deluxe Edition. Damn good movie and some nice extras.

Also tonight I watched "Warlock" again. Richard Widmark is fast becoming one of my most favorite classic movie actors.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• The Shootist with John Wayne, Lauren Bacall, and Ron Howard. This was shown on TCM. Great movie for the 31 days of Oscar. What a weekend.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Three Godfathers. Planned to watch it again for a long time when review was announced for this movie. I know it so well, but each time think again what a great masterpiece!

• HOW THE WEST WAS WON. on tcm in wide screen but still is not the same experience as when i saw this fine film in cinerama.still worth a look.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• "Louis L'Amour's
    The Quick And The Dead" (1987)
    -Sam Elliott, Kate Capshaw, Tom Conti

Based on a novel by Louis L'Amour, this made-for-HBO western stars Sam Elliott, an enigmatic gunslinger who comes to the aid of a family traveling through the wilderness.

Not to be confused with the Sharon Stone movie of the same name, this is a great little movie. Simple straight forward plot, lots of western action and great scenery. Sam Elliott is perfect as the mysterious gunslinger and Kate Capshaw is beautiful. This is a very entertaining movie.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Friendly Persuasion with Gary Cooper. Superb western with Great Colour. I noticed Slim Pickens in the Fair scene and I am pretty sure Ernest Borgnine was there in non speaking role.

Mike

Would you believe that is my all-time favorite movie? I loved it. It was the very best "feel-good" film I've ever seen and I think was Coop's best by far.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Last night I watched "The Assassination of Jesse James", Brad Pitt's version. Since Westerns are my favorite genre and Pitt is one of my favorites in the new generation of actors, I was eagerly awaiting the release of this film on DVD. I bought it from Amazon, along with another DVD with four older Westerns on it.

Unfortunately, I was pretty disappointed in the Pitt film. First of all, it was mostly talk, with very little action. Secondly, anyone familiar with Jesse's life and death (BTW, he was in my ancestral line on my Mom's side of the family) knows how it's gonna end so there were no surprises but the film itself is sorta dark and moody. Downbeat, IOW.

Thirdly, (and this is the second movie I've seen with that Affleck kid), I have a hard time understanding him. He speaks with kind of a high-pitched tone and/or inflection and for some reason, my old ears just can't make out what he's saying very well. The first movie I saw him in was "Gone Baby Gone" and since it was supposed to be set in Boston, I had a really hard time understanding the dialogue.

De gustibus non est disputandum