How's The Weather

There are 4,432 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 927,703 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Very interesting Stumpy.You can learn lots of stuff on here can't you ?
    There are a lot of interesting and intelligent people out there.
    Thanks for that, Ned

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• I find it funny how Texans say 106F is hot. Try 98F with a dew point temp at 78F, that makes it 112F heat index. Oh, that is what we were yesterday, and today we were a lot colder at 105F heat index. And you really feel it.

I would rather be in dry heat than moist heat that literally bakes on your body without relief. Thanks for Mr. Carrier for that invention of the A/C. I'd definitely be in Minnesota if it wasn't for the A/C.

Cheers :Cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I find it funny how Texans say 106F is hot. Try 98F with a dew point temp at 78F, that makes it 112F heat index. Oh, that is what we were yesterday, and today we were a lot colder at 105F heat index. And you really feel it.

I would rather be in dry heat than moist heat that literally bakes on your body without relief. Thanks for Mr. Carrier for that invention of the A/C. I'd definitely be in Minnesota if it wasn't for the A/C.

Cheers :Cool:

Surely you're not so naive as to think we don't have humidity in Texas too, Mike. We often have, with humidity, heat indexes of 115 degrees for weeks at a time.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy - remember where Vera resides - St. Petersburg, Russia. I think the winters there get quite cold!

I know, Jay, but I think folks like Vera just cannot conceive of the heat we often have in the Lone Star State. Just as most Europeans cannot imagine the vastness of our state.

• I've lived in Texas and you do have the humidity. There is quiet a difference between the two. I also know you can have much higher dew point temperatures that can cause the flesh to bake. Most of that takes place in the spring and early summer. The dog days, you are generally very dry. I don't speak always, that would be asinine, just the majority of the time.

This time last year we were in a middle of a drought and had temperatures over 100F and dew point temperatures in the middle 70's. That made our Heat Index over 120F. That wasn't a day or two, it was almost three weeks, and our lows may have dipped in the 70's but it was mainly 79. By the way our heat index never went below 90F for 17 days last year. We also listed 13 new record highs. Those were the days.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• But I'm still thinking that hot summer is better then cold.

I would definitely rather a cold summer than a really hot one.

. . . the heat we often have in the Lone Star State.

As far as the HEAT in Texas, I can hardly comprehend it. When I listen to the national weather news, I just know that if I lived in Texas, I would be in a deep depression being in that kind of heat for as many days and weeks as you have it. I DETEST hot weather! You folks are a special breed, and I admire you!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• I DETEST hot weather!

So do I, Sue. Unfortunately, I'm not rich enough to move to a cooler climate.

When I left the military, I wanted to retire to Colorado (and we could have then, as the military would have paid all our moving expenses). We had been stationed in Denver while I was a recruiter and I had fallen in love with the Rocky Mountains and that dry, much cooler climate. But my wife had decided she wouldn't be happy with all the snow and cold. (This from a woman who was born and raised in Germany, where the winters are extremely long and cold, with snow usually knee-deep or deeper. :wink:)

Anyway, after three more tours at various locations (Germany, White Sands Missile Range and Puerto Rico), we decided to retire in San Antonio. But after 4 or 5 months of vainly looking for a job that paid a livable wage, we decided to move to Dallas, where there were no shortages of good-paying jobs. Soooooo.........how I long for the mile-high city! :cry2:

• Well guys, its even hot in Minne-snow-ta at this time of the year. Humid as well. Had some storm's roll through earlier today and they might even be to blame for the plane that crashed by Owatonna, MN that had 8 people on board. Pray for the familes as I am sure it's tough. Link www.startribune.com

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• you are all welcome to have our cold weather and i will have your heat, cant wait for the warmer weather to arrive will feel more alive. hate the cold just a few nights ago we had 0C and there was snow falling in Stanthorpe about 3 hour drive from me, yes we do get snow in queensland sometimes

hope bek didnt have to break the top of the water for her horse over the last few nights
    cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• you are all welcome to have our cold weather and i will have your heat, cant wait for the warmer weather to arrive will feel more alive. hate the cold just a few nights ago we had 0C and there was snow falling in Stanthorpe about 3 hour drive from me, yes we do get snow in queensland sometimes

hope bek didnt have to break the top of the water for her horse over the last few nights
    cheers smokey

Oh how I long for those days smokey!!! Just about 3-4 months and we will be happily in the white gold once more!!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

Edited once, last by SXViper ().

• we went to -1C last night, just wish the cold nights would stop, am so looking forward to the warmer weather to arrive

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"