The Book Dimension

There are 30 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,966 times. The latest Post () was by Stumpy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I'm interested to know if any of you enjoy reading books. I have to admit to being a fan of a series of books relating to the character Harry Potter, I feel these books are well written, intelligent and very engrossing.

Maybe the John Wayne messageboard could start a book club, review one book every month or so, it could be fun as well as educational.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Where's itdo when we need him? He is definitely into books, especially about John Wayne.

Aside from that, I must say that I love to read, but don't have nearly enough time to read as much as I would like.

Robbie, have you read any of the Redwall books, by Brian Jacques? I have been reading them with our nine year old son, and have enjoyed them immensely. They are also very well written, very rich vocabulary and beautiful descriptions.

During the school year, I am so busy with the kids' schooling I don't have much time for reading, so would not be much use with a monthly book club, but it's not a bad idea.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Hi Robbie

That might not be a bad idea.

In the middle of February On This Day finishes and with all the books mentioned in the Definitive books list it might be possible to do something on the lines you suggest.

I'll have a think about it.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Robbie,
    You mean reviews about JW books?
    My son is a big fun of Harry Potter books.
    Regards,
    Senta

• I know what most of you mean regards to finding the time to read books. In 2005 I'm ashamed to say I only read two books, so my new years resolution is to take more of an interest in books.

What I am suggesting for this book review is selecting a book as a group to read and then review in maybe 6-8 weeks time.

Mrs Chester, I am unaware of these books, I might enquire at my local library, maybe one of these books would be a suitable one to start of with.

I wouldn't necessarily be in favour of restricting it soley to books about the Duke, although if a book about the Duke is chosen for a review that would be perfectly fine. What I would like is a review of books covering a wide range of fields such as Dickens and Shakesphere etc.

Regards
    Robbie

• Howdy Robbie,
    If you're going to read Dickens, I have to recommend "Great Expectations." I've always liked that book.
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Funny you should mention 'great expectations', I tried reading it in the summer but I couldn't get into it so I quit, maybe I'll try it again later.

Regards
    Robbie

• im reading " ill met by moonlight " a true story about british soldiers kidnapping a german general in crete in world war 2 and getting him off the island.it is written by one of the actual british officers that took part in the mission.

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• I've been an avid reader since the age of 4 or 5 years old. (BTW, Rob,
    reading helped tremendously with my spelling and grammatical skills).

My grandma taught me to read at an early age, taking me on her lap and reading to me. It's always been my belief that if one reads well, they can learn just about anything else (and that worked for me, except when it came to algebra :teeth_smile::teeth_smile:)

Probably my overall favorite reading topics have been history and biographies, subjects a lot of other people find boring.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• i love reading,always have done.when im done on the computer at night i read for 1/2 an hour or so before i go to sleep. i'm always telling my kids how great books are and how you can find out anything in books if you look.i prefer reading to tv these as there's not much on i like so i tend to get through books pretty quick.

• i love reading,always have done.when im done on the computer at night i read for 1/2 an hour or so before i go to sleep. i'm always telling my kids how great books are and how you can find out anything in books if you look.i prefer reading to tv these as there's not much on i like so i tend to get through books pretty quick.

Sure you don't like golf also, Ned? :wink_smile:

• Sure you don't like golf also, Ned? :wink_smile:

golf!! the best way to ruin a good walk! i don't think so Stumpy.
    thats (no offence to older memebers of the board) an old mans game who have too much time on there hands. golf!! i'd rather watch grass grow,blimey whats golf got to do with books. i can watch most sports except golf,tennis + athletics. oh and baseball because i can't understand it.i don't mind watching american football sometimes.
    sorry about that Stumpy,a bit of a outburst there,thats not like me apologies luckynedpepper :ohmy:

• golf!! the best way to ruin a good walk! i don't think so Stumpy.
    thats (no offence to older memebers of the board) an old mans game who have too much time on there hands. golf!! i'd rather watch grass grow,blimey whats golf got to do with books. i can watch most sports except golf,tennis + athletics. oh and baseball because i can't understand it.i don't mind watching american football sometimes.
    sorry about that Stumpy,a bit of a outburst there,thats not like me apologies luckynedpepper :ohmy:

I was kidding you when I asked that, Ned. The only reason I asked was because there are so many golf courses in your part of England. :teeth_smile:

• True but golf is not my cup of tea but i believe its very popular.
    i think it is also very elitist,played by the so-called upper classes

• i think it is also very elitist,played by the so-called upper classes

Well, I've never been a golfer either so I don't know if your statement is true or not. I do know that my oldest and dearest friend (we've been friends since about 1949) plays golf each weekend and he's certainly no "elitist" - he's just an old country boy like me.

Though I myself am not a golfer, I very much enjoy watching it on television. But since Jack Nicklaus is long past his playing days, I don't watch it nearly as much.

• Well, I've never been a golfer either so I don't know if your statement is true or not. I do know that my oldest and dearest friend (we've been friends since about 1949) plays golf each weekend and he's certainly no "elitist" - he's just an old country boy like me.

must just be over here then.i can't see the attraction of it myself

Anyway let's forget golf and get back to the subject of books.

Edited 2 times, last by chester7777: merge 2 posts ().

• I read everything from sports biographies to Dickens. I've started to take more of an interest in English history and world war 2 as both my Grandfathers fought in WW2.
    I am also interested in other countries and their people,their lives etc.So a bit of everything really.How about you?

• I read everything from sports biographies to Dickens. I've started to take more of an interest in English history and world war 2 as both my Grandfathers fought in WW2.
    I am also interested in other countries and their people,their lives etc.So a bit of everything really.How about you?

Have you ever read Churchill's 6-volume history of WW2. Old Winnie was an excellent writer.

At various periods of my life, I've been greatly enamored of the following authors:

Louisa May Alcott
    Stephen Ambrose (he writes good stories about WW2 also)
    Elliot Arnold (American West
    John Barron (True Spy Stories)
    Edgar Rice Burroughs (Tarzan)
    Tom Clancy (Action-Adventure)
    J. Frank Dobie (American West)
    Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)
    Allen Eckert (Early American History - also "The Hab Theory", one of the
    most fascinating fictional novels I've ever read)
    Clay Fisher/Will Henry (American West)
    Ian Fleming (James Bond)
    C.S. Forester (Hornblower series)
    Frederic Forsyth (Action-Adventure)
    Zane Grey (American West)
    Thomas Harris (Mysteries such as "Silence of the Lambs")
    Jack Higgins ("The Eagle Has Landed" & dozens of similar books)
    James Jones ("From Here To Eternity" & others)
    Robert Leckie (American Military History)
    Walter Lord (American Military History)
    Alistair MacLean
    William Manchester (Biographies-he wrote one of the best biographies of
    Churchill ever written but died before he finished it)
    F. Van Wyck Mason (Historical Fiction)
    Larry McMurtry ("Lonesome Dove", "Last Picture Show" & others)
    James Michener
    Robin Moore ("The French Connection" & others)
    Edmund Morris (Biographies)
    Kenneth Roberts (Historical Fiction)
    Robert Ruark
    Cornelius Ryan (WW2)
    Luke Short (Western Fiction)
    Wilbur Smith (Africa-Fiction; If you want to read one of the best stories
    ever written, read his "When The Lion Feeds")
    Mickey Spillane (Mike Hammer)
    Albert Payson Terhune (Children's Fiction about dogs)
    John Toland (History-WW2)
    Leon Uris (Historical Fiction)
    Joseph Wambaugh (LAPD)
    James Webb (Military Fiction)

There now, aren't you sorry you asked? :wink_smile::teeth_smile:

In the past couple of years, I've discovered a few other authors I really like, two of which are P.T. Deutermann and Vince Flynn.

I forgot to mention Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens), another favorite, especially when I was a kid.

Edited once, last by Stumpy ().

• I used to read entire weekends away but as I've aged, my powers of concentration aren't as acute as they once were. Also, I recently had an eye exam and the doctor told me I have cataracts (I've used reading glasses for several years and for at least 30 years, I've had what's called presbyopia, which means the lens of your eyes aren't as elastic and thus can't focus as well as they once did). Anyway, the concentration and vision problems have somewhat diminished my enjoyment of reading.

Getting old is a real bummer.