There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,602 times. The latest Post () was by Hondo Duke Lane.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Speaking of other cowboys, I thought you might find the following article of interest. It is a repost from the Yahoo group McCandles Texas.

--- In [email protected], "lon1883" <Blakemf@a...> wrote:

Today marked the last public appearance of James Arness. He signed copies of his autobiography, pictures and was selling a wonderful limited edition art print by fellow actor Buck Taylor.

Arness recently celebrated his 80th birthday and this was his last public hurrah. Part of the proceeds from today will be divided between CP fund and the Autry Museum. Despite age, that has bent the once tall frame, he was still full of humor and really enjoyed meeting the fans. What amazed me is he took time with each person, shook hands, took pictures and was geniunely interested in the people. When he put on his Matt Dillon hat a few times, the audience went crazy with applause. Despite age, he still had that look.

It was great to see him again and thank him once more for taking the time one day at KTLA (where they were filming GUNSMOKE in the early 1960s)and saying hello to a five year-old.

Michael F. Blake
    who feels no one said "Hold it!" better than Arness....

I recently did a Google search on James Arness and discovered The Official Website for James Arness. The most interesting thing I learned about him was that he is still alive, and even answers questions that fans leave on his web site. Another interesting thing is that he had the same birthday as John Wayne (16 years later, on May 26). I'll be checking out his web site further to see if any interesting JW info or trivia is there.

Cheers!

Chester

• From Hondo to Big Jim McCain....I always wondered what the Duke would of been like like in Gunsmoke

Brian
    Tulalip Wa

• Hello All
    HI Chester I think Gunsmoke was a good series and could you pm or post the website for James Arness. On a slightly different note did you or anyone ever hear that Festus put a small stone in his boot to remind himself which leg to adjust his stride with. Kilo

Greetings from North of the 49th

Originally posted by chester7777@Aug 9 2005, 08:32 AM
    Wow, looks like you will be in competition with Jay J. Foraker for the title of "resurrectionist" :D !

[snapback]20139[/snapback]

Hi Chester -
    It looks like I've been resting on my laurels a little too long. I better get back in action if I'm going to retain my title!
    Cheers - Jay :lol:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• You know, Kilo I did hear something like that about Festus and the stone in the boot. I don't remember where I hear about that, but it seems that he did that. I'll have to look that up to see if there is truth in that. Thanks for asking, and let me look something up on this subject.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote