Anthony Hopkins Talks Sense

There are 21 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,593 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Veteran actor Sir Anthony Hopkins has attacked Hollywood for its "insanity", "self-importance" and "condescending" attitude to the movie-going public.
    "I'm also tired of the camera moving all over the place, with car chases so cut and edited you don't know what's happening," he told the Radio Times.

"Audiences aren't so mindless as movie-makers think," he continued.

His words are so true. I love action movies when you look at the chases scenes of Mc Q, Brannigan Bullit or The French Connection they are superb compared to the editing of most recent movies that has been so bad as to have been done by amateurs.

Mike

• It's that old "sound bite" syndrome. TV and radio news programs do it all the time and I guess it has rubbed off on the younger people in charge of the movies. Everything seems to be one second - cut - another second - cut - ad nauseum :headbonk:
    It seems the younger generations have been brought up on this and, unless they watch older movies to any degree, think that this is the way movies should be presented. :( It's truly a shame, because, in many cases, their lifestyles are similiar to this herky-jerky style. :wacko:
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I so agree especially after watching the Oscars, did anyone else notice how many of the Duke's movies were in the clips that were shown last night. I sure don't see many original ideas in Hollyweird with all the remakes.

:headbonk:

Peggy

• Very true, very true.
    In particular, the "condescending" attitude, is what I find the most obnoxious. <_<

Chester

• Well if you noticed in Clooney's speech, he said he was proud to be out of touch with the public because they make movies and talk about many issues before the public does, like Aids and gay rights. That's all fine and well but they still don't get the big picture.
    The movie going public who bust there humps everyday to make in a year what they make in a day are saying they are out of touch not because of there activism but because of the way they live there lives and there condescending attitudes to the people who pay there wages.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I see the Oscar viewing figures are in. Surprise Surpise they bombed.

I stuck out for about 15 minutes then gave up. The more you watched the more you thought these people are totally detached from any form of reality.

Where did they dredge Jon Stewart from. He looked like Barbies old mate Ken or is he Aarron Spelling's love child. Made you wish for David Letterman or God forbid Steve Martin an initially funny man who has become progressive unfunny.

Mike

Originally posted by DukePilgrim@Mar 7 2006, 10:29 AM
    Where did they dredge Jon Stewart from. He looked like Barbies old mate Ken or is he Aarron Spelling's love child. Made you wish for David Letterman or God forbid Steve Martin an initially funny man who has become progressive unfunny.

[snapback]28549[/snapback]

I didn't watch the Awards, but I saw several promotional items on Jon Stewart. Who the heck is he? I had never heard of him before. To me, he is a far cry from Bob Hope or even Billy Crystal. Shows how close to the bottom of the barrel the Academy is reaching.
    Cheers - Jay <_<

"Not hardly!!!"

• Years ago director Steven Spielberg said of the then new MTV. "This is the worst thing that can happen to movies" and he was right. A whole generation has now grown up on music videos, with their quick cut editing and young audiences have come to expect that instead of good old fashioned story telling

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Have to agree with all of you. I can't stand the crud that hollywoodland is churning out these days. The last new movie I watched was: Munich.

I pretty much have given up on the movie makers making great movies. This is partly why I absolutely love movies like: "Decision Before Dawn" and of course--most of The Duke's films. My Sister jumps on my case because I dislike watching most new TV shows. The only one that comes to mind that I like is: "Over There" on Fox, and it aint great, it's good but; not great.

Geeze, most of the shows I watched on TV over the weekend--were episodes of Andy Griffith (tribute to Don Knotts marathon) and I did not think I would enjoy it as much as I did -- I loved it.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I am quite proud of uncle anthony for speaking his mind about this, all is true and I must agree. Hollywood sure has one downhill in recent years and are barely capable of turning out decent movies.

As for the awards, worst year YET, they were simply dreadful to watch.

-IHW

• I happened to watch the awards this year. I was glad to see that Brokeback Mountain didn't win best picture, but was disappointed that they did get three including one for best director.

The awards show was poor and it reflected that in the ratings. I might add that the movies are not good in general and that is also reflected in the movies out. And if you look what's out right now, it's looks like it not going to get any better. But they know what we like or should like.

I guess when they realize that we are not going to see their movies they'll start making the ones that will bring us back.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hello All
    I find that I am buying 8 old movies for every new one.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• This is how out of touch they are, there was a report recently that said that movie producers and the groups that own the theaters figure that movie attendance was down because of cell phones in the theaters. They scoffed that it could be the cost, now $10.50 for a ticket or that it cost over $10 to get a popcorn and a soda. Plus you add in that almost every movie released in the last few years has been a remake and a poor one at that... oh well all the talent is gone from Holywood...

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Hi all

I have to agree with erthomp 143, going to see
    a movie costs about £30=$45 for two. By the
    time you pay for parking, drinks and popcorn.
    A few times we have been sitting watching the
    movie and the next thing someone's phone rings
    and the person starts a conversation. It can be
    of putting to say the least. :angry:

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• I might be a cheapskate but, I usually wait till the movie gets to the Dollar Cinema -- such as Munich -- then I go see it. The only item I will buy at the dollar cinema is a large glass of Mr. Pibb. I refuse to pay their prices for snacks and if I want any--I sneak it in. :D

Anyway, the last new movie I watched was "Munich." I agree with you all on this and to further what Kilo and Chester said--I buy more old movies than new ones. Just this month I bought "Destination Tokyo, King Kong (1933) Gettysburg, The Great Raid, Lethal Weapon 1 & 2, The Wild Geese, The Mountain Men & The Colditz Story." Notice the only new one was The Great Raid.

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Apr 23 2006, 03:04 PM
    I might be a cheapskate but, I usually wait till the movie gets to the Dollar Cinema -- such as Munich -- then I go see it. The only item I will buy at the dollar cinema is a large glass of Mr. Pibb. I refuse to pay their prices for snacks and if I want any--I sneak it in. :D

Anyway, the last new movie I watched was "Munich." I agree with you all on this and to further what Kilo and Chester said--I buy more old movies than new ones. Just this month I bought "Destination Tokyo, King Kong (1933) Gettysburg, The Great Raid, Lethal Weapon 1 & 2, The Wild Geese, The Mountain Men & The Colditz Story." Notice the only new one was The Great Raid.

[snapback]30726[/snapback]

Yeah, but I did enjoy "The Great Raid". I read one of the books that it was based on and knew what was going to happen but I still enjoyed it. The "love story" was alittle "hokey" but I over looked it.

-John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@Apr 23 2006, 04:48 PM
    Yeah, but I did enjoy "The Great Raid". I read one of the books that it was based on and knew what was going to happen but I still enjoyed it. The "love story" was alittle "hokey" but I over looked it.

[snapback]30729[/snapback]

I too enjoyed: The Great Raid, paid $8.50 to see it and about 6 wks later I got the DvD for about $20.00. I have only seen benjamin Bratt in one other movie but have no clue what it was. Shame he does not do more acting in movies.

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Apr 25 2006, 02:02 PM
    I too enjoyed: The Great Raid, paid $8.50 to see it and about 6 wks later I got the DvD for about $20.00. I have only seen benjamin Bratt in one other movie but have no clue what it was. Shame he does not do more acting in movies.

[snapback]30785[/snapback]

He was in the 1st, "Miss Congeniality" with Sandra Bullock. Not a great film but then again, I am not too impressed with chick flicks most of the time.

-John Wayne

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Apr 25 2006, 02:02 PM
    I have only seen benjamin Bratt in one other movie but have no clue what it was. Shame he does not do more acting in movies.

[snapback]30785[/snapback]

He had an early supporting role in "A Clear and Present Danger," one of the movies based on Tom Clancy's novels, as a military commando. He currently is in E-Ring on TV, if it survives "hiatus."
    Cheers - Jay :D

"Not hardly!!!"