Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,380,391 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I recently bought a Paul Newman boxed set that included many of his earlier films I hadn't seen. I was interested mostly in obtaining his movie "The Left-Handed Gun", which I hadn't seen in probably 35 or 40 years. He plays Billy the Kid in that film.

Yesterday I watched "Harper" (which had one helluva cast including Lauren Bacall, Janet Leigh, Robert Wagner, Shelley Winters and three or four more well-known players). Newman plays a detective in it. Despite the great cast, I wasn't impressed.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I recently bought a Paul Newman boxed set that included many of his earlier films I hadn't seen. I was interested mostly in obtaining his movie "The Left-Handed Gun", which I hadn't seen in probably 35 or 40 years. He plays Billy the Kid in that film.

Yesterday I watched "Harper" (which had one helluva cast including Lauren Bacall, Janet Leigh, Robert Wagner, Shelley Winters and three or four more well-known players). Newman plays a detective in it. Despite the great cast, I wasn't impressed.

Just finished watching "Somebody Up There Likes Me", another film from the boxed set, and the movie which brought Paul Newman to stardom. It wasn't bad; in fact pretty good.

• Last night I watched "Pocket Money", another movie from the Newman set and my second or third viewing of this picture, after an interval of about 30 years, confirms my first impression - it's a crummy movie, I think. Never thought I'd hear myself say that about a Paul Newman/Lee Marvin movie.

• This afternoon I watched "This Gun For Hire", the first film in which Alan Ladd was credited. He plays a hired killer who has a soft spot for cats, kids and Veronica Lake.

• Three Errol Flynn Movies:

Virginia City (1940)
    Dodge City (1939)
    The charge of the light Brigade (1936)

Dodge City was quite OK for an Errol Flynn Western but I thought No Wonder that John Fords Stagecoach was such a success 1939. Errol Flynn isn't for me a Western Hero. Virginia City had Humphrey Bogart as Mexican Bandit ... meh ... :shades_smile:

Attack of the Light Brigade was a much better movie and had some great scenes in it. Not very historically accurate but good entertainment. :wink:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• It was The Crowd Roars (1932).

Hi EJ, thanks, that was the movie I was talking about. :thumbs_up::teeth_smile:

The last three non westerns I watched were:

The STory of G.I.Joe and Battleground both on TCM a couple of days ago. Then yesterday morning-I was greatly pleased to see The Canterville Ghost on TCM. Charles Laughton is excellent as the Canterville Ghost.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• INSTINCT (1999)
    Nice thriller with Anthony Hopkins.

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• This afternoon I watched "The Set-Up", B&W oldie with Robert Ryan as an over-the-hill boxer who's supposed to take a dive but doesn't. Wasn't great but I've seen lots worse movies.

• I saw something I never heard of before that I guess supposedly happened during the Vietnam War. This movie starred Russell Crowe as a NYC Internal Affairs?/ officer trying to investigate the "bad apples" within their Narcotics Enforcement Division. This movie also had I think his name was Forrest Whittacker??? as a major drug dealer and also Cuba Gooding Jr. I found it (after missing the first hr of it) I found it t be a pretty good film after all. Anyway, it was called: American Gangster. I'd never heard of it till I saw it Saturday evening. The movie had some other "recognizable faces" in it but I can't remember their names off hand.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• We just watched That Thing You Do tonight. Having grown up in that era and having a few cousins who had a band, who made several trips to Hollywood in an attempt to become famous, it was a fascinating movie. Very well done, all the right vintage props to make it very authentic. Enjoyable music, the right guy got the girl - what more you could you ask?

Tom Hanks did an excellent job as the slippery record producer/agent.

Chester :newyear: