Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,427,757 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Watched Dr No tonight they have really cleaned up the print & sound on recent DVD release.

Great stuff!!

Mike

Yes I generally much prefer the Connery Bond films. The only problem with Dr No is its low budget - the very obvious studio sets and that model harbour getting blown up at the end!

• ZOOM staring tim allen, his lord ship likes him come christmas time it will be the santa clause movies again

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Saw episode Nr. 2 of the great Doc series on PBS called: Ken Burns: The War. All I can say is that it is most excellent. Has a few recognizable voices doing the narrations including Tom Hanks.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Boy did I get to watch a classic Sunday night on TCM. I enjoyed the 1953 version of The War of the Worlds starring Gene Barry, Ann Robinson, and Les Tremayne. Thought the special effects were very well done for a 53 movie.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Last night, I saw what was a "little film" which made big bucks for it's time. This film is called: Champion, and it's two biggest stars were: Kirk Douglas and Arthur Kennedy. This film is a sports film (of which, I usually do not watch or enjoy BUT, I greatly enjoyed this one. This film came out in 1949, and was the film that made Kirk Douglas; a star.

It's the story of two down-and-always "out" brother's who consistantly get shafted one way or another, and one brother gets noticed by a boxing promoter/coach. The Kirk Douglas character, eventually (along with his Bro 9Arthur Kennedy) make their way to Los Angeles and break into Boxing. Not to spoil it too much for those who have not seen it, this movie is a classic example of someone going from rags to riches, and also lets his public popularity, blow up hs ego.

It was really strange for me to watch this kind of movie. However, im glad I did. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

• Saw another installment of Ken Burns: The War and another classic episode of COMBAT. This episode in question is called: The Bridge at Chalons, and it's guest star is: Lee Marvin.

• I just bought HELL IS FOR HEROS w/ Steve McQueen & Fess Parker I love old war movies as well as the Duke's movies

Hell Is For Heroes, is also one of my all-time most favorite movies. They all were great in this movie which also included: Harry Guardino as Sgt Larkin, Nick Adams as Homer, James Coburn as Corporal Henshaw, L.Q.Jones (in a very small part-as the Supply Sergeant trying to get Homer some better cloths to wear) Joseph Hoover as Capt. Loomis to Bob Newhart and Bobby Darin as Pvt. Corby.

Forgot to mention: I saw more episodes of COMBAT. Tonight will be two more episodes of COMBAT: "A Long Way Home pts 1-2 w: Richard Basehart. :teeth_smile: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

• The Sea Hawk. My favourite Errol Flynn film. I thought Dame Flora Robson made a better Elizabeth I than Bette Davis.

Hi,
    I argee with you. But Flora Robson like Flynn and Bette Davis didn't so Essex and Elisabeth failed becouse of lack of interest between their stars who supposed to be lovers in the plot. They have many arguments during the filming and Errol remembers in My Wicked Wicked ways that she slaped him real hard with all rings on her fingers in theat scene.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi,
    I argee with you. But Flora Robson like Flynn and Bette Davis didn't so Essex and Elisabeth failed becouse of lack of interest between their stars who supposed to be lovers in the plot. They have many arguments during the filming and Errol remembers in My Wicked Wicked ways that she slaped him real hard with all rings on her fingers in theat scene.
    Regards,
    Senta

It's ironic that Errol was often criticized as a bad actor, yet his underacting holds up well today while Davis' performance seems over the top.

• October Sky was a good movie about a young boy interested in rockets back in 1957, and pursued this with opposition with his father. If you get the chance to see this I reccommend this.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Saw some very good Andy Griffith episodes last night as well as an excellent episode of COMBAT: "Masqurade" (SP? which had James Coburn as a German dressed and acting like an American officer trying to find high-ranking officers to kill. This episode is ala what the Germans tried to do during the Battle of the Bulge.

• "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada." This was a great movie with excellent characterization and, besides, Tommy Lee Jones is one of my favorite actors. He has a home here in San Antonio.
    (This movie might qualify as a western, but because of the modern context, I put it here.)
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"