Departure From The Board

There are 33 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,376 times. The latest Post () was by smokey.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello everybody -
    It looks like I will only be active on this board through the end of the month (July 28). My position as managing editor at my newspaper is being eliminated and I will no longer have access to a computer. I will probably be around till that date, but may possibly try out the library and see if that works from time to time.
    In the meantime, I will entertain several options to see what works in regards to my future.
    Jay :(

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Howdy Jay,
    I sure do hope you can figure things out, because I for one would hate to see you go. I think you have been a valuable member of this board, and I always look forward to reading your posts.
    Lookin' forward to seein' around for a long long time,
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Wow Jay, sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will figure out a way to stay in touch. Get ahold of Ringo, he seems to do alright using the library computer.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Jay

I echo everything that the others have said. I certainly hope you can find a way to continue on this board you vthe list of contributers is getting smaller and we need everyone we can get especially when they have something worthwhile to contribute.

Best Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Jay sorry to hear about your situation you'd be a sad loss we've all enjoyed your posts hopefully you'll find away to continue "Keep the Faith"
    Chance

"COME SEE A FAT OLD MAN SOMETIME"

• I am sorry to hear the news, Jay. I hope the paper finds you another position and not just leave you out in the cold. I have been throught that before and it isn't good. As for the site, I echo the others in hoping you find someway in keeping in touch. Good Luck, friend.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hi Jay,

I'm sorry to hear that you may soon be out of a job.
    I hope this situation resolves itself soon.

Regarding exess to a computer, my brother goes to
    his library and just like Carl goes on-line any time he
    wants. You are a very important part of the JWMB,
    one we can't do without.I look forward to reading many,
    many more of your posts.

Best wishes,

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• All I can do is echo every sentiment that was mentioned above and wish you all the luck in the world in your job search. Hopefully we will not have too much of an intermission while you are away. Happy hunting bro.
    Bo

• Hi Jay, I too am sad to hear your position at the newspaper is being eliminated.

Todd and Emmanuel are correct. The only access I have to a computer is either at the public library as well as sometimes at the Museum of Science and History - where I volunteer at from Tues - Fri (most of the time) :) Anyway, please do go to your local library as the usage of the computer is free and Dukewayne.com is not blocked (unlike many historical sites) As you can tell, I don't have a computer of my own -- yet. Anyway, you gotta keep being a member here and I still owe you another chat on the phone ( as soon as I can find the number again) :) After I got back from San Antonio in May, I thought I knew where I had put your number but apparently when I was going to try calling you on july 4th, I found out I mis-placed it. :(:headbonk:

Anyway, I am sorry about your job. Take care Jay and do hope to "see" you here for a loooonnnngggg time.

Cheers and Rootbeers -- Carl.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Robbie, Bob, Todd, Arthur, Chance, Mark, Emmanuel, Bo and Carl - Thank you all for your kind comments and encouragement. :D
    The reason given for the elimination of managing editor here was to cut expenses.
    I have been with this newspaper for over 42 years which you would think would count for something. But two other old timers here were cut also. This all came from corporate (Prime Time Newspapers) - My publisher here at the Southside Reporter (which is only one of 17 papers in this group) was very upset about this and went the full nine yards on my behalf (and the others, of course), but it was not to be.
    As I will be 64 in September and have back, hip and knee problems, it may be difficult to find something else, but I will keep positive thoughts about this situation.
    Thank you again, folks, for your thoughts. They are very much appreciated.
    Cheers - Jay :D

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hello all
    Hello Jay I have sent you a pm re this situation. My thoughts are with you.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi Jay, you said it all -- CORPORATE, that says it all. :angry: Those people up in corporate all have their heads up their @..es and don't know what time it is. The same thing happened with several well-known chain restaurants and grocery stores around here.

First we lost Krogers. Next we lost Albertsons. Then we lost K-Mart. After that we lost in a short period of time, Bennegan's, Blackeyed Pea and something else. What'd we get in exchange, not much. We got a Logan's Steakhouse and a Montana Mike's. Logan's is NOT the kind of place I will spend my money at--more for the college crowd. Now as for Montana Mike's, that is a great place and is a new favorite of mine.

We lost Bennegan's supposedly because of poor customer service -- I don't buy that at all. EVERY time I ate there--it was a great experiance. WHat the sneaks in corporate did, was to cut out two of their best selling meals there. One best seller was: Chicken Fried Steak. They also cut out serving gravy at all and if you got their chicken strips--you had to eat that with MUSTARD. :stunned: Their corporate HQ is in a northern state--up far enough that they don't know how important it is--to serve CFS. THAT's the reason I think they closed--because they took away the best sellers--and people merely went down the street. Long live: The Cracker Barrel.

Anyway--sorry for getting off subject and going on a rant. I think that those in corporate, are simply doing you and the others wrong. IF I can say that I cannot stand a word--corporate is one word I cannot stand--as well as the word politics.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Jay,

Chester and I are SO sorry to hear about your unceremonious job loss - you're right, you'd think 42 years would count for SOMETHING (and kudos to your local boss who went to bat for you :rolleyes:)!

Is retirement an option for you, financially?? Not trying to be personal here, so please excuse me if it looks that way. If it is, perhaps you can volunteer some time like Ringo does, where a computer might be available . . . .

Sorry to be late in responding to this thread. I am in NY visiting family, and Chester is at home overseeing some renovation in our kitchen (I've got the younger kids here, so they are not underfoot there). :rolleyes: He was on the board briefly and saw your post and mentioned it to me.

Of course all the thoughts expressed already are ours as well - we hope you are able to find a way to continue to be a part of the message board!

Best wishes to you,

Mrs. C :angel1:

• hi jay

hope you can stay active here we would miss your sunny smile and all that rot 65 and still going strong enjoy some time with the family the maybe you will get something part-time to keep your hand in over here we have quest newspapers these ones are free to the letterbox maybe you have something similar where you are and they might take you on you could only try.

smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi Everybody -
    It looks like I'm back!
    A friend helped my wife and I get a home computer, so I have managed to return.
    Since last communicated, my last day was Monday, the 17th. I have already applied for unemployment, been to my doctor's, had X-rays taken of my back, from that determined that I have considerable arthritis in the L2 to L5 lumbar region. I go next to check out Social Security and see what's what.
    I missed everyone!
    Cheers - Jay :D

"Not hardly!!!"

• Jay,

That is GREAT news!! We are SO happy for you (and us, too, since we get to keep you around :lol: ).

Regarding our recent absence from the message board . . .

Originally posted by chester7777@Jul 13 2006, 09:51 AM
    I am in NY visiting family, and Chester is at home overseeing some renovation in our kitchen (I've got the younger kids here, so they are not underfoot there).

[snapback]32965[/snapback]

I am home from New York, but the kitchen renovation came to a screeching halt because Chester, suffering from abdominal pain, went to the emergency room and was admitted for major surgery. He had diverticulitis with a complication of perforation of the colon, so immediate surgery was necessary. That was on July 16. He came home from the hospital on the 22nd, and has been resting since then. We have dealt with some of the hottest temperatures we have ever seen in this area (120º on Saturday, 114º on Sunday, 110º on Monday, 105º Tuesday, and a "cool" 95º today! I realize some of you folks from down Arizona and Texas way know all about those hot days, but it was a real departure for us! Slowly, but surely, with the help of many, our kitchen is starting to come together (but there is still plenty of chaos).

As a result of surgery, Chester has a temporary colostomy, so in about eight weeks, the doctor gets to cut him open again and put the plumbing back together again, with another 6 to 8 weeks of recovery from a second surgery . . . .

So know that things are settling down a little, maybe we will have some time to get back here again, like the good old days.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Hi Jim and Sue

It looks like you have had more tha enough to put up with . Just to send my Best regards and best wishes to both of you, and hope that all is well soon.

Ya'all take care ya hear.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Jay

Thats brilliant news about the computer, sorry to hear about the back, but hopefully these things ave a habit of turning themselves around for the better.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Great news on the new computer, Jay...bad news on the back...or maybe that's good news too, depends how ya look at it :D . I'm glad the board won't be losing you now. I look foward to many more posts from you.

Mrs. C, will you please give my regards to Chester and wish him a speedy recovery for me? Now he can really lay back while recovering and watch all the Duke films from the beginning to the last ones.....in order :P

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "