A Question On A Dvd Glitch

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,441 times. The latest Post () was by Jay J. Foraker.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I have run into a problem on three or four DVDs. It seems that about halfway through the movie in question, the picture freezes up and I have to stop and remove the DVD and clean it with a soft cloth (in a radial direction from the center outward). I have also resorted to a DVD cleaning disc from Radio Shack. Putting the DVD back in the machine, I bring the movie back to its stopping point and it will play for a while and then freeze up again.
    This happens on the same DVDs - the other DVDs in my collection play fine, so it must be something in these particular DVDs.
    What makes me mad is that one of these "funny" DVDs is my new one of "Donovan's Reef." I had ordered this about six months ago and it had exhibited this freezing trait - I returned this for a replacement which did the same thing. I returned for credit and waited until a few weeks ago to reorder - same situation.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a cure or at least an explanation for this phenomenon?
    Cheers - Jay <_<

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I think maybe it is your DVD-player that is having the problems. I have never had the problem on DVD's I have bought, but when making copies of movies it can be a bit of a problems. Using different media and burning on one burner can be successful for playback on one DVD-plyer, but not work on another. Then if you switch to another brand of DVDs it might not work anymore, but work on another player.

Try to see if these DVD's work on another player. If they do I would take the player to a dealer and show them your problem if it is a new player, and try to find out if I could upgrade the firmware myself(Starting point) if it is an old player. If it is an old player and it still has problems or you can't figure out how to upgrade the firmware I would start looking for a new player.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• I can't give you a for certain, but it has to do with your DVD player reading the DVD. I have a DVD that will not play on my PS2, but will play on my DVD player. Out of all the movies I have this is the only one that it happens. Some times the movie will play on the PS2 if I select a scene past a certain point. So my best guess is that it is the way the data is stored on the DVD, the player gets confused about what it sees and hangs up. There's nothing that you can do about it either except for trying to skip past that point. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• We had a similar problem recently, although I didn't think of trying the DVD on a different player. The Mrs. cleaned the DVD (using a method recommended by a tech support person years ago, for a computer game cd - a little bit of dishsoap and water - wash that disc! and then dry with a soft cloth; cures many a problem, but only made our "glitch" a little better the other night). We bought the DVD used from a local video store, so we will probably take it back and have him polish it out for us on his DVD repair/polishing machine. The guy is almost obsessive about the condition of his stock, so I know he'll make it the best it can be. Sometimes small businesses are like that, if you can find them - who needs Blockbuster :headbonk: and their killer late fees :fear2: ? Those fees are almost impossible to avoid with teenagers in the house - the local guy is VERY good to us.

So anyway . . . that's just our experience.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Jay, i've got a Sony player (if that means anything?) and only had problems in playing 2-3 rented DvDs. What I tried to do when trying to play these was cleaning my player a few times to using a 100% cotton cloth to clean any fingerprint or other smudges off the underside of the disk. Well, neither option worked unfortunately. I did buy one used DvD from a place and have not had trouble with it even though the disk itself does have some scratches on it. I heard that there was a product that you could rub onto it called: "Last." It was originally designed for vinyl records and once you rub some onto the surface, it removes all grit-dirt etc and covers the surface with a tiny amount of I think, Silicone.

Anyway, "Last" was originally for records but I can't see why one can't use it to clean DvDs? Some friends of mine used this stuff and got only great results.

Best regards--C.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Jay

You could try a CD/DVD player cleaner on the DVD player. sometimes there is a buildup of dirt on the laser.

Failing that try another brand of DVd player.

If the fault still shows up it is the DVD itself. Some players can be particularly sensitive while others you could nearly plaster with strawberry jam and they would still play LOL

Mike

• I think mine is the sensitive type. <_< Pay a fortune for it and one slight dust particle and whammo--it will not work. :(

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Thanks folks for the input. As I said, I've gone through three "El Dorado" DVDs, all exhibiting the same freezing up of picture. The first two came from one source within the space of a month and this last one I received just two weeks ago from another source. It may be something in the processing of the product or, as has been suggested, it may be my DVD player. At least with this last copy I was able to get through the movie with only three freeze incidents.
    I am going to try the cleaning approach next.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"