Top Horror Movies

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,209 times. The latest Post () was by Phantomstranger.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• In the past I have not been a big fan of horror movies, that was until last Halloween when I watched some very good ones, I now rather enjoy this genre even though I have not seen very many of the movies within it.

Some of my favourite horror movies are Psycho, The Omen and Misery.

Do any other members enjoy this genre and if so what movies do you particulary enjoy?

Robbie
    :agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi Robbie,

Although not a great lover of horrors,
    Psycho certainly does stand out,
    and I can remember the very first time I saw it,
    how disturbing it was.
    I thought the now 'hammy' Hammer films,
    were good at the time,
    and so were Dracula and Frankenstein.
    Of course, they seem utter 'tosh' now,
    but they still beat the 'blood and guts'
    of the modern films!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Were I collect John Wayne films, my wife collect those "Hammy" Hammer horror films. She likes Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee both. I agree they aren't as scarry or high quality like some of todays, but we like them.
    Todays horror show so much blood and guts, it's not really scarry.
    The original Mummy stands out as a decent horror for me as well as Alien.

[SIZE=3]"Here's to you Duke, untill we meet again."[/SIZE]

• Howdy All,
    Aside from John Wayne films, I really do like scary films. The scarier, the better. Unfortunately, I don't think there has been a really scary movie since the original version of The Haunting (1963). That movie scared the bejeebers out of me! I still love it! Of course I really enjoy the classics - Frankenstien (1931), Dracula (193?), The Wolfman and the Mummy (The originals). It seems that the horror films of today rely only on shock rather than good old fashioned terror and suspense. Kind of sad really. Maybe someday Hollywood will return to the good stuff. I know, I know, but I can dream can't I?
    Best to all,
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• I love the classics; Lon Chaney, Jr.’s “Wolf Man” films, “Frankenstein”, “Dracula”, and to steal ethenedward’s line, “The Hammy Hammer Films”. They’re silly, corny, and you can’t really call them scary, but a they’re a lot of fun. My favorites are the movies that mix humor and horror; “Young Frankenstein”, “Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein”, “American Werewolf in London”, and the like. For some reason, humor and horror just go together for me! Serious horror films kind of bore me. And the so called “Slasher Films”; seen one of them, you’ve seen ‘em all!

• I'm a fan of the old horror films as well. But I remember when I went to the theatre in 1979 to see "Alien" when it first came out. My wife and her friend went to see a Disney movie - I had heard a lot about "Alien" before it first came out and I really wanted to see it. After the movie, my wife said that I was white as a sheet and shaking. I don't think that any movie before or since had scared me so much. Of course, that was a theatrical experience and, if I had seen that at home the way many of us see movies now, it wouldn't have scared me as much. That may be behind the physcology of seeing a movie in the theatre - it is so much impactive - re: "The Alamo."
    A couple of observations on "Alien" - The score by Jerry Goldsmith added a lot to the atmosphere of the movie. However, for some reason, the director opted for a part of Howard Hanson's "Romantic" Symphony for the end title music which was completely at odds with what Goldsmith provided.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I watch a lot of horror movies and, when I used to read more, was a huge Stephen King fanatic. The ones that get me are the zombie movies. For some reason, I always end up with nightmares about zombies.

• I guess i'm the loner on this one because I never really did care for watching horror movies. The only ones I can stand and actually like are the old ones with Lon Chaney Jr, Boris Karlof and Raymond Massey. AS a matter of fact, I just watched Lon Chaney in the Wolfman, this morning.

Now, I have seen Alien--disliked it. Seen parts of the other Alien movies-disliked them as well.

Seen all the Jaws movies.

We stood in line-which went around the block, to see Jaws at the Texas Thater in Kingsville. Stood in line almost 8 hrs to do so. I was around 6 or so at the time and though I liked that movie, I had nightmares for months afterwards. I think I liked that movie more so because for years I had thought that Robert Shaw was actually Richard Dawson of Hogan's Heroes and Family Feud fame. Could not stand Jaws II, somewhat liked Jaws III but only because Louis Gosset Jr was in it.

I don't know if this one can be classified as a horror movie or not but, I saw Michael Caine in The Island, and did like that movie. As well, I really liked The Fog, w/ Adrienne Barboux.

I have seen few from any of the following franchises:

Friday the 13th--seen only the first one from start to finish and thought it was a senseless slasher flick. Seen parts of a few others from this series and thought they were even worse.

Seen only part of one of the Nightmare On Elm Street flicks and did not care for it.

Have seen From Beyond, and thought it was fairly interesting.

Never have seen (nor want to) any of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre films nor any of the Saw films.

Seen all makes of The Blob, and liked only the older ones.

Seen and liked: Silver Bullet.

Seen one of The Omen, disliked it. Have not seen any other makes.

Seen one or two Halloween films and like dthe first one, disliked the 2nd.

Liked Fright Night.

Hated Dawn of the Dead. Will not watch any others of this type.

Seen and liked: Orca.

Seen the Slumber Party Massacre films--only watched them because of the scantily clad women in them.

Have not and will not watch: Lake Placid.

Saw a strange film called: Humongus (SP?) and thought it was stupid.

Saw another strange one called: Squirm, and flatly disliked that one as well.

Saw Boggy Creek a looooooooooong time ago--which I think was about the Boggy Creek Monster) but can't remember. Anyway, the only scene I remember about this movie is when some guy went to the restroom, had his pants down doing his business, and the monster had tried to attack him through a window. I was about 5 or so at that time, and was scared outta my wits.

Saw Motel Hell, and disliked it. Only watched it because Rory Calhoun was in it.

Don't know if this one can be considered a horro movie or not buy, I watched and liked: The Awakening w/ Charlton Heston.

Disliked The Birds.

Hated Christine.

Thought Killdozer was stupid.

Saw SS Doomstrooper, and thought it could have been better.

Saw and hated: Mansquito.

Did not like any of: The Fly.

Saw and disliked: C.H.U.D, but did like the sequal to it.

Saw and liked: Ssssssssss

Saw and disliked: Darkman.

Did not like: My Bloody Valentine.

Seen soem others I can't think of their names at the moment and probably disliked them as well.

Give me the older movies anytime.

Sory to be so negative in my opinion of horror flicks. I just prefer War, Western, Crime and Comedy movies. :)

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• The classics were great as a kid. The one that stands out to me is The Blob with Steve McQueen. I did like the Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolfman, The Mummy, and The Phantom of the Opera. :o

Who could forget Night of the Living Dead. :blink:

Let me say that The Rocky Horror Show is a great one. Alright, that is a stretch. Not my favorite. :wacko:

The modern ones would be The Others with Nicole Kidman. That was good because of the twisted way it ended. I am not a Kidman fan but this movie was great. Not telling you anything about it. You have to see it. :fear2:

I did like Halloween movie (the first one), but it is cheesy. That goes for The Nightmare on Elm Street. :stunned:

Who can forget Abbot and Costello meets Frankenstien. Now that was a classic. :unsure:

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Some really interesting choices.

Two movies I forgot to mention which were maybe more thriller than horror were 'Cape Fear' and 'Night of the Hunter' both starring the great Robert Mitchum and both scary in their own right.

Robbie
    :agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I love horror movies, here are some of my favorites:

The Exorcist
    Psycho
    Horror Of Dracula
    Bride Of Frankenstein
    Creature From The Black Lagoon
    Halloween
    Alien