PC and Technical Help Forum

There are 369 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 141,110 times. The latest Post () was by The Irish Duke.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Keith, did you get the media player working? The registry can be the culprit, but also something as simply pointing the application to the device. In explorer or my computer or the file itself right click and use open with, browse to program and then once you get the media player highlight the box that asks if you want that program to always be used.

Hope this helps.

ShortGrub:pizza:

• Hi Jeff,
    No it is a registry problem, and as yet it remains unsolved.
    Thanks for asking, and if you know the answer please tell me!

Just wondering, Keith. Is your OS Vista? If it is, there are provisions in the system for doing a complete factory reset. Of course, you would have to back up all your files and reinstall all your software but I did it on a new laptop I bought 2 or 3 months ago and it cleared up some problems I had been having.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Thanks Jim and Jeff.

It is a registry problem,
    and Jeff I checked out that link.

It does indeed show the error message:-

Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn,
    or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that
    has been moved, renamed, or deleted.

However it plays the files, in the library OK,
    and WMP is the default player.

It shows this message, when I try to play a disc.
    It was OK not long ago!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• EE, will media player read the cd? Other players like Winamp and all work right? I didn't get all the back ground so just trying to piece together the puzzle.
    I believe you said Nero works.

Are you editing both registries? Reg and reg32?

• EE, will media player read the cd? Other players like Winamp and all work right? I didn't get all the back ground so just trying to piece together the puzzle.
    I believe you said Nero works.

Are you editing both registries? Reg and reg32?

Hi Jeff,

Yes, Explore will read, Winamp and Nero will play,
    but WMP shows the error message.
    I think I've cleaned everything in sight!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• EE,

I found this on a forum that listed the same error and problem you are having.

Here is a solution for the cda file problem:

• insert your windows xp cd into your CDROM Drive
    • go to your control panel and select add hardware
    • when the wizard comes up select next
    • after its search you are presented with the question
    "have you already connected this hardware"
    • Select YES and click next
    • on the next screen in the white window select (at the bottom)
    Add a new hardware device and click next
    • on the next window select the button Install the hardware that I
    manually select from a list

• in the next window select "sound, video and game controllers" and
    click next

• Yet another window highlight in the left select window
    "(Standard system devices)" in the right window "Media Control Devices"

• click the "HAVE DISK BUTTON"

• click the browse button and browse to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

• click "OPEN"

• CLICK "OK"

• if your are prompted with the does not pass logo testing window
    click continue anyway

• in the next window select "(MCI) CD AUDIO"

• click next and again if prompted for logo testing click continue anyway

• if it cannot find the driver and prompts you to browse browse to your
    windows cd I386 folder
    In there is a MCICDA.DL_ select that and click next.

• you will be prompted to reboot. and all should work after that.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-60…t=45&tag=forum-w;forums06

I gave you the link so you could read the forum entries if you wanted too.
    A few responded with it fixed their problem.

• Here's a real interesting article discussing the demise of the VHS format.

I found myself enthralled with some of the various perspectives on the VHS format, from people who work in the industry.

The history of the tape is discussed, along with what's happening in the future, with DVDs. Affordable VHS tapes is really how I got to know and love John Wayne, and many other older movie stars and movies as well.

I think you all will enjoy the article.

Chester :newyear:

• Great article Jim.
    What worries me with the demise of VHS,is the cost to us guys.
    I hate to think, with Blu-Ray coming in,
    we've got to go through it all again!
    In fact the smart move would be to not replace all the VHS movies, we have,
    and just skip the DVD era altogether!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I can see your point from not wanting to upgrade constantly. But, the biggest advantage to DVD or Blu-Ray is the media will not breakdown over time from sitting on a shelf for years or being viewed alot. I think if you are going to skip a particular technology, then skip what is bound to be coming next, online download's. I would much rather have the disc in my hand instead of a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I guess my topic has been answered with the demise of the HD-DVD. Of course we now see the down loads from the Internet is coming in, and there is an "i-pod" type box that will hold as many as 2000 movies for the big time collector. I don't know what I am going to do, but right now, I am holding my DVD player that I purchased in 1997, which is still running very well.

As for Blu-ray, the movies are too expensive in stores, and I am really only interested in the movie. The extras are alright for one time, but the movie is my major reason for the purchase.

VHS is dead! I know that. I can not find the blank tapes, and recording shows and movies are mainly on DVR's and TiVo.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Would some of You that Know about this thing BLU-RAY, Please Tell Me What The Heck is It ?
    :stunned:
    I guess I will Just have to Crank Up The Old 16 M.M Projector again and go back to Watching John Wayne Films on 16 M.M. Film Again !
    :glare:

Bill
    :cowboy:

• Bill,
    I have moved your post to this the technical area.

This post by SXViper answers your question

Here is a link to Hondo's thread where this is also mentioned.

HD DVD and Blu Ray

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• A couple more things to add to the conversation about high def video(Blu-Ray).

1. The players are getting alot cheaper. When I am saying is that I am comparing the price to what they were about 2-3 months ago or even a year. You can get a Blu-Ray player now for about $150-$199 and then on up. The cheaper players are only what they call a 1.1 profile player as compared to the current 2.0 player. The main difference is that the 2.0 players have a online or internet feature that alows the user to interact with the studio's server. They are calling this "BD-Live". There is a whole bunch of interactive feature, movie data, ect..... Plus the 2.0 players can have there firmware(software) updated . Not saying the 1.1 players are bad, just that there are some features that you might want to be aware of if thinking of purchasing one. FYI, all PS3 game systems are 2.0 profile and of "future proof", to a extent.

2. Movies are getting cheaper, they are still more expensive then regualr DVD but instead of $29-$34 for a new release they are around $24-$28. Also, if you look for deals, they are out there. Like my copy of "The Searchers" that I found at Sam's Club for $10.97. That is a great price for a Blu-Ray movie and its one of Duke's best.

3. And just to give you a short overview of my observation's of Blu-Ray at this point. I have had my player(PS3) since the end of last July. I have 6 Blu-Ray movies. The Hulk, Ironman, The Dark Knight, How the West was Won, The Searchers, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. They are all incredible on Blu-Ray. But my favorites are How the West was Won, The Searchers, Ironman, The Dark Knight. The Searchers is simply awesome. The red desert is perfect. Is the player worth it? Tough question, if you have the money and can afford it, yes. If you are looking for a gaming system and want the high def capabilities, then go PS3. They are getting cheaper and will only go down in price as the months go by. There is still not alot of movies out there for us western/classic film buffs but they are starting to appear more and more. If you have a friend or buddy that get's one, go take a look at it.

And the biggest thing to remember is that you need a HDTV with a HDMI connection from the Blu-Ray player to the TV. If you don't have this, you are not getting the full high def experience.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Just wanted to inject a little info for the possible benefit of our members.

About a week ago I read on the 'net that Microsoft was releasing Internet Explorer 8, which was supposed to remedy some of the problems encountered in earlier versions of the browser. Well, I downloaded it from the MS site (it's free) and have been using it for the past week with no problems. However, today I tried to log on to a website that requires a username and password. After entering the correct information and clicking on the log-on button, all I got was a blank screen. I tried several more times with the same result. I emailed them to see if they were having technical difficulties and lo and behold, they told me that IE8 wasn't compatible with their software. Said I'd have to download Firefox to log on. I did and it worked okay. So if you encounter problems logging onto a site and you're using IE8, that may be the cause.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• After I downloaded IE8 my internet (yahoo email mostly) quit responding many times then it quit doing it today.