Politics

There are 2,687 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 833,371 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I guess a majority of those half-breeds voted for another half-breed and that's what turned those counties in northern Arizona and northwestern New Mexico blue.

I don't have anything against half-breeds or even whole-breeds, as long as they're conservative.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• As I've said earlier, George Bush has been a total disaster as a president. Dick Morris thinks so too.

I blame Bush almost exclusively for the destruction of Ronald Reagan's brand of conservatism and the election of Obama.

• Sounds like a lot of other erstwhile Republican voters were as turned off by McCain as I was. As I said earlier, I held my nose and voted for him but I sure wasn't a happy camper about doing so. If the Dems had put up just a slightly less left-wing candidate than Obama, I probably wouldn't have voted at all.

• Saw this on a website this afternoon. Agree wholeheartedly with all of it except #2a.

"We Texans love y'all, but have decided to take action since Obama will soon be president.

Here is our solution:

#1a: Swear in Barak Hussein Obama President of the United States. (All 49 of 'em)

#2a: George W. Bush comes home and becomes the President of the Republic Of Texas .

So what does Texas have to do to survive as a Republic? We are already set!

1. NASA is just south of Houston , Texas . (We will control the space industry.)

2. We refine over 85% of the gasoline in the United States .

3. Defense Industry. (We have over 65% of it) The term " Don't mess with Texas ," will take on a whole new meaning.

4. Oil - we can supply all the oil that the Republic of Texas will need for the next 300 years. Yankee states? Sorry about that.

5. Natural Gas - Again we have all we need and it's too bad about those northern states. Obama will figure a way to keep them warm. ...

6. Computer Industry - we currently lead the nation in producing computer chips and communications: Small places like Texas Instruments, Dell Computer, EDS, Raytheon, National Semiconductor, Motorola, Intel, AMD, Atmel, Applied Materials, Ball Semiconductor, Dallas Semiconductor, Delphi, Nortel, Alcatel, Etc, Etc. The list goes on and on.

7. Health Centers - We have the largest research centers for Cancer research, the best burn centers and the top trauma units in the world and other large health planning centers.

8. We have enough colleges to keep us going: UT Texas, A&M, Texas Tech, Rice, SMU, University of Houston , Baylor, UNT, Texas Women 's University. Ivy grows better in the south anyway...

9. We have a ready supply of workers. (We can just open the border when we need some more.)

10. We have control of the paper industry, plastics, insurance, etc.

11. In case of a foreign invasion, we have the Texas National Guard and the Texas Air National Guard . We don' t have an army but since every body down here has at least six rifles and a pile of ammo, we can raise an army in 24 hours if we need it. If the situation really gets bad, we can always call Department of Public Safety and ask them to send over a couple of Texas Rangers.

12. We are totally self sufficient in beef, poultry, hogs and several types of grain, fruit and vegetables and let's not forget seafood from the Gulf. And everybody down here knows how to cook 'em so that they taste good. Don' t need any food.

This just names a few of the items that will keep the Republic Of Texas in good shape. There isn't a thing out there that we need and don't have.

Now to the rest of the United States under President Obama: Since you won' t have the refineries to get gas for your cars, you will have to walk or ride bikes.

You won' t have any TV as the space center in Houston will cut off your communications. You won' t have any natural gas to heat your homes but since Al Gore has predicted global warming, you will not need the gas.

Signed,
    The People of Texas" :wink_smile:

• Quite frankly, the prospect of the US falling back into the role of an "also-ran" doesn't bother me in the least.

Maybe the rest of the world will then temper their expectations that good old Uncle Sam's taxpayers are there to protect them from their enemies, feed them, arbitrate their disputes and otherwise act as the parent, policeman, priest and all-around guardian to the rest of mankind.

• .....Maybe the rest of the world will then temper their expectations that good old Uncle Sam's taxpayers are there to protect them from their enemies, feed them, arbitrate their disputes and otherwise act as the parent, policeman, priest and all-around guardian to the rest of mankind.

I do NOT normally get involved in politics however as part of "the rest of the world" you are talking about I take exception to your comments above. Please do not misunderstand me I have lots of family and friends in USA however you have this all wrong.

It is not that the rest of world expects US taxpayers to do anything, the truth of the matter is that US politicians and recent presidents act like they have a god given right to DICTATE to the rest of the world whilst riding roughshod over other peoples democracies and making a mockery of international organizations such as the UN.

Perhaps if US taxpayers took more care when electing these individuals and once elected, reined them in, then SOME non Americans may not have such negative opinions of your country.

The comments you have made only fan the flames of negativity.

IMO If USA and my own country UK had kept out of the affairs of some other countries that they chose to meddle with for political gain, and lets face it they chose their meddling on the basis of oil or money or strategy or any combination of these, then some parts of the world may not be in the mess they are today.

Please rest assured that I for one, member of "rest of the world" do not expect anything from US taxpayers other than the courtesy, respect and freedom of choice that I extend to ALL of them and indeed all of mankind.

I would be horrified if some of the US taxpayers you are talking about deemed themselves fit to perform these roles on my behalf or for me personally. Just as I would with some taxpayers from my own or any other country.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

Edited once, last by Elly: spelling ().

• Believe me, Elly, when I say that if your complaints about meddling in the affairs of other countries are directed at the George W. Bush administration, I agree one thousand percent.

But the fact of the matter is, since 1945 the whole of Europe has refused to tax itself in order to maintain the military forces required to defend itself against takeover by the USSR. Europe (and much of Asia too) has relied upon the nuclear umbrella of the US for protection against the USSR. To pretend otherwise is disingenuous.

As for the UN, that is nothing but an expensive (to US taxpayers) travesty of a peacekeeping organization. Nothing would please me more than to see the US withdraw from the UN and boot them out of this country. (By the way, you should check into the finances of the UN. You'll discover that US taxpayers provide far more than their share of financing to this largely ineffective charade)

P.S. It does not bother me in the least if other countries have a negative opinion of the US. They have that even though they have depended upon the US for protection (and most everything else) since 1945.

Edited once, last by Stumpy ().

• It sure has gotten a lot Quiter around The Verde Valley, McCain's Ranch and The Airport ln the last Week or So, and I don't see any Men In Black and With The Dark Glasses anymore !!!

:shades_smile:
    Chilibill

:cowboy:

Wouldn't it be great if we could just do away with political campaigning completely?

• When the Good Lord comes back, that will be the day!

. . .oh oh, maybe I should have made this post in the religious thread :ohmy:

Chester :newyear:

When the good lord does come back, most politicians will be running in the opposite direction!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• When the good lord does come back, most politicians will be running in the opposite direction!!!

Most politians are so full of themselves they think they are gods(Oprah will tell ya), and that they know better than the Lord Himself.

If they think they can pull one over on God, as Duke would say;"That will be the day!".:wink_smile:

• I felt I had to reply to this one as it was in a thread I did like to look at, and I was outraged at what I read!

In a similar vein Elly I was unhappy with your post as you seemed to take it upon yourself to give a left wing view claiming this was representative of all UK citizens.

I didn't reply to your post originally but I am unhappy that there is a stereotype that all British citizens are anti American, for this reason I would like your post above added to the list of posts to be moderated.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

Edited once, last by Robbie ().

• In a similar vein Elly I was unhappy with your post as you seemed to take it upon yourself to give a left wing view claiming this was representative of all UK citizens.

I didn't reply to your post originally but I am unhappy that there is a stereotype that all British citizens are anti American, for this reason I would like your post above added to the list of posts to be moderated.

:agent:

Hello Robbie

I have read and re read my post and cannot find where I said or implied that all UK citizens are anti American???

I WAS EXPRESSING MY OWN VIEWS AND OPINIONS AND CAN ASSURE YOU, AS I DID IN MY ORIGINAL POST THAT I AM NOT ANTI AMERICAN. UNLIKE THE POST I WAS REPLYING TO I DID NOT, AND DO NOT TAKE IT UPON MYSELF TO MAKE BLANKET STATEMENTS, GENERALISATIONS OR SWEEPING COMMENTS THAT ARE THEN ATTRIBUTED TO WHOLE NATIONS!

AS I SAID THERE, I HAVE LOTS OF FAMILY AND FRIENDS WHO ARE AMERICANS. I HAVE VISITED USA MANY TIMES AND HAVE HAD MANY AMERICAN VISITORS INTO MY HOME, I AM A HUGE JOHN WAYNE FAN (AN AMERICAN WHEN I LAST LOOKED) AND HAVE SPENT THOUSANDS OF POUNDS AND COUNTLESS HOURS BUILDING UP MY COLLECTION OF jw MEMORABILIA. HARDLY THE ACTIONS OF SOMEONE WHO IS ANTI AMERICAN.

I DO NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT WHEN YOU SAY LEFT WING. WHAT IS THAT BUT LABELLING ME, SOMEONE YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT AND HAVE NEVER MET?

I am sorry that you chose to interpret my ORIGINAL post in this way and would be very happy to have it AND INDEED THIS REPLY moderated.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

Edited 2 times, last by Elly: SPELLING ().

• Did you see the story on Yahoo that Bush may pardon the Enron people along with a few others. That will go over real well.Nixon had to resign for much less.:ohmy:

Bush is going down in US history that our public officials can't remember, ranking up there with Warren G Harding and US Grant for corruption and Hoover for the economics.

• Did you see the story on Yahoo that Bush may pardon the Enron people along with a few others. That will go over real well.Nixon had to resign for much less.:ohmy:

Bush is going down in US history that our public officials can't remember, ranking up there with Warren G Harding and US Grant for corruption and Hoover for the economics.

Well, I was gonna agree with you, Jeff, but since this is relevant to politics, maybe I'd better not. :wink_smile:

• The Gov is handing out 20 Bill to Citigroup. If you or I went to the track and lost say 100K, do you think the Gov would bail us out?

Yet those banking morons gave money away to unresponsible people, and who also took their high dollar bonuses when they yelled about tough conditions.

If you didn't handle money well in your family and your kids suffered in any way the Gov would take them or put you in jail. Yet these bankers mishandled money and no one is taking anything away from them or jailing them.

Just makes me fed up with Govt.:vomit:

• Don't get me started, Jeff. :laugh:

The things I wish upon Washington DC and about 99 percent of politicians would get me thrown into jail.

• OK, fellow political junkies, in response to suggestions from various people, I created a "social group" for discussion of politics and current affairs.

Y'all are invited to join me where, henceforth, we'll talk about those subjects in private so as not to offend the delicate sensibilities of those who may be disinterested in the topic.

In the top blue bar, click on "quick links" and scroll down to social groups, where you'll find the group for politics and current affairs.