Pet Peeves

There are 138 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 34,522 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Stumpy,

Do you remember what your original peeves were, from the second paragraph of the article that is no longer there?? Now I'm curious!

Chester :newyear:

One of my BIGGEST pet peeves is that as you age, your memory deteriorates.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I certainly agree with the peeve that some drivers talk on their cellphones while in motion. A lot of these seem oblivious to what is going on around them and a couple of instances have almost hit me because they weren't paying attention!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I just thought of another peeve that irritates me and those are the gazillion acronyms that computer geeks use that nobody else knows what they mean.

• stumpy

i have to give you that one, it surely bugs me when they rattle on then say "so you understand now"

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• I certainly agree with the peeve that some drivers talk on their cellphones while in motion. A lot of these seem oblivious to what is going on around them and a couple of instances have almost hit me because they weren't paying attention!

I recently learned from my sister (who lives in Oklahoma) that they've passed a law up there that forbids driving while you're talking on a cell phone. Wish they had such a law nationwide, or at least in Texas.

• I recently learned from my sister (who lives in Oklahoma) that they've passed a law up there that forbids driving while you're talking on a cell phone. Wish they had such a law nationwide, or at least in Texas.

Jim,
    we've had a Law for sometime here,
    but it's very difficult enforcing it,
    and everyone carries on as before!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Jim,
    we've had a Law for sometime here,
    but it's very difficult enforcing it,

I imagine the same thing would happen over here, Keith. It seems people just don't have the same respect for law as they did when I was a kid. I'll bet if they were fined 2 or 3 hundred dollars when they got caught talking on a phone while driving, it wouldn't be long before people would start obeying the law.

I sent both of my state political representatives (senator and representative) an email this morning requesting that they at least try to get such a law passed in Texas at the next legislative session. May be awhile though as our state legislature only convenes every two years.

Edited once, last by Stumpy ().

• Jim,
    If you're involved in an accident,
    or caught red-handed using a phone,
    then there is a hefty fine, and points on your licence!.
    However, it's possible to spot someone almost every second,
    driving merrily along, whilst on the phone!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• it's possible to spot someone almost every second, driving merrily along, whilst on the phone!

It's the same over here, Keith. It wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't consider the practice very dangerous, not only to the ones talking on the phone but to those who aren't. You'll never convince me that most people can devote the necessary concentration to safe driving while they're blabbing on one of those gadgets. As Jay said, I've almost been hit several times by people who were more interested in their phone conversations than they were in safe driving.

What the heck did we do before we had those damned things? IMO, there ain't anything so important that it can't wait until you're out of your vehicle before calling someone. I am totally convinced that most of those phone conversations that "just can't wait" are about nothing that's important.

• I recently learned from my sister (who lives in Oklahoma) that they've passed a law up there that forbids driving while you're talking on a cell phone. Wish they had such a law nationwide, or at least in Texas.

Jim,
    we've had a Law for sometime here, but it's very difficult enforcing it,

Jim,
    If you're involved in an accident, or caught red-handed using a phone,
    then there is a hefty fine, and points on your license! However, it's possible to spot someone almost every second, driving merrily along, whilst on the phone!

They passed a law in California, which went into effect July 1st, that prohibits the use of hand-held phone, the only way you can use your phone while driving is by using a hands-free set up. You can bet the sales of those things went up big time in the weeks before July 1st.

The news reports on July 1st and days following were to the effect that the CHP (California Highway Patrol) were heavily enforcing the law and stopping people. Depending on folks' responses, the CHP took some discretion in issuing a ticket or not. The officer that was interviewed said that two of the people he pulled over were honest and repentant, so he gave them a warning. They guy who pulled an attitude ("Don't you guys have anything better to do than pull me over?") got a ticket.

I just thought of another peeve that irritates me and those are the gazillion acronyms that computer geeks use that nobody else knows what they mean.

IMHO, that's pretty funny. BTW, it's so funny, I'm ROTFLMAO . . . :biggrin:!
    (Sorry, I couldn't resist j. . . )

Chester :newyear:

• Another of my pet peeves is the packaging they put on various products nowadays. In their zeal to prevent the introduction of foreign substances into foodstuffs, or to prevent theft of merchandise, the packaging industry has made it well nigh impossible to open some packages without a chainsaw or axe.

• the packaging industry has made it well nigh impossible to open some packages without a chainsaw or axe.

Jim, I agree totally,
    particulally those sealed, clear hard, shaped to fit,plastic packages,
    that you can't open with anything,
    and risk serious hand injury if you get it wrong!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Another one of my pet peeves is these characters who decide they have to get somewhere before everybody else. They weave in and out of traffic zooming from one lane to another and, if the lanes are not flowing well enough for them, they will sit on your rear end until something frees up so they can scamper on their way. I've had many of these idiots almost take off my fender they're trying to change lanes so fast!

"Not hardly!!!"

• Boy don't get me started with pet peeves! I have several...lol.

It really gets my goat when someone rides my tail when they could easily pass in one of the other million lanes.:glare:

Once I was being tailgated by a dump truck. I was alone in the car so I hit my brakes and I imagine that jerk about ate his steering wheel. He backed off so fast and did not come close to me again. I am not a pokey driver but I am also not one to go over 5 miles an hour above the limit even if I'd love to be pegging at least 80.

I, too, hate cell phone drivers and many times was almost hit by people with their ear to the phone. I heard that a person uses 50% of their brain to talk on the phone leaving only 50% to focus on their driving. And that's not good when many people appear to only have 10% to begin with...:yeaahh:

Another big pet peeve for me is not being on time. If I am even 5 minutes late for anything you better start worrying. If I am 30 minutes late call out the national guard. I would rather be 2 hours early than 10 minutes late. My bosses loved me. It has a lot to do with knowing someone is counting on me, I hate to ever let anyone down. When I give my word you can take it to the bank. I expect the same from others.

Then.....lol...I also hate how they package things these days. Even Christmas is a hassle when kids are trying to get the toys out of the boxes. Everything has to stop so I can take 30 minutes and use 90% of my brain to figure out how to free Thomas the Train from his carton!
    AND...That darn sticky tape they put on CD and DVD cases....GRRRR

Biggest pet peeve is lies...I hate lies because honesty for me is imperative to maintain any kind of relationship, one worth having, that is.

Guess that's enough for now...

Sure have missed everyone here...Will try to bug ya more often...:wink_smile:

Much love,

Cindy

• Jim, I agree totally,
    particulally those sealed, clear hard, shaped to fit,plastic packages,
    that you can't open with anything,
    and risk serious hand injury if you get it wrong!

Amen, Keith - I swear some of that clear, hard plastic seems as strong as steel. Really a pain.

• I'm like you, Cindy, in that some of my biggest gripes concern idiotic driving practices. I personally don't care if the jerks kill themselves, as long as they don't kill innocent people, especially kids.

The wife and I drove down to Dallas yesterday to visit our youngest son and his family. Most of the route is a 4-lane highway with 70mph speed limit. Ordinarily, I drive about 73 or 74 with the cruise control set (as I'm sure you know, Texas state troopers will cut you some slack, as long as you don't go hog wild. Anyway, I'm cruising along at about 74mph when three young men on motorcycles (for gosh sakes) come tearing past me doing probably 100mph. And not only were they exceeding the speed limit by at least 25 or 30mph, they were weaving back and forth among the other traffic. Wouldn't have bothered me a bit to see all of them wiped out on down the road. :evilgrin:

Although tailgating is by far my biggest driving gripe, I also get ticked when other jerks drive along in the lefthand (passing lane) barely at or even below the speed limit and refuse to get over for other drivers.

• A minor pet peeve - All these television networks seem to need to put a logo on the screen throughout a program. It's not bad when the logo is transparent, but some, during a news program for example, will have a solid station bug right over important information which, as a result, can't be seen.:vomit:
    As a collarary, stations, mostly cable, see fit to promote other programs with icons popping in and out in the corner which distracts one from the program being watched!:headbonk:

"Not hardly!!!"

• One of my pet peeves is the people who must drive at night with their high beams on all the time. Spotting deer is one thing, blinding oncoming motorists is another.

Another one is managers who call you in about being 1 minute late, but let 15 smokers get to their desk or just in the building and take 15 minute smoke break. Then let them take 5 or more smoke breaks a day all the while still angry about being 1 minute late. They have screwed up priorities, 1 minute verses 75 minutes away from your desk.:stunned:

Another is the cell phones and people who turn their brains off while using them when they drive.:headbonk:

• During my lifetime, I sometimes think I've accumulated almost every hand tool, nail, screw, nut or bolt known to mankind but invariably when I need a certain size (or whatever), I can never find it. Therefore, I always go tearing over to the hardware store and buy the "right" one. Days or weeks later, I always come across the item I couldn't originally find. Sure gets aggravating sometimes. :fear2: