Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 340,207 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• All of my life I've told my wife and kids that if I ever get to the point that I'm physically or mentally incapable of taking care of myself, I'll put a gun to my head and blow my brains out because I wouldn't want to live in that state anyway. IMO, that's not living, it's just existing.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• [INDENT]Hi All,

Just wanted to warn you about this "Move - Over" Law. Have checked it out on Snopes and it seems to be true. I did not know of this "new" law. I don't know if the fine is that big or about the 3 points on your license but it's better to be safe than sorry. Let your friends know. Came from a good source, my friend.

In California, the "Move-over" law become operative on January 1, 2010.

Important Law to Share:

I wanted to let my neighbors know about the CA move over law. A friend got a ticket in Pleasant Hill coming back from Wal-Mart. A police car (turned out it was 2 police cars) was on the side of the road giving a ticket to someone else. My friend slowed down to pass but did not move into the other lane. The second police car immediately pulled him over and gave him a ticket. My friend and I had never heard of the law. It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, if you are able, you are to move into the far lane.

The cost of the ticket was $50, with 1 points on your license and a mandatory court appearance [but this varies widely, from state to state; from the reading I've done this evening, the fine in CA is $50].

Please let everyone you know, that drives, about this law. It is true (see details at the following web address). It states that with the exception of two states, all the other US states (even Canada ) enacted a similar kind oflaw.

http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times]www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/moveover.asp
    [/FONT][/INDENT]

• Jim,

That is the Law in Alabama for about 4 or 5 years now. It is important because too many people are getting hit from those passing by. I had a friend who was stopped by a police officer about 10 years ago, and a car passed by them and hit the police officer who went through the window on both sides of the car and killed him. It was a freaky accident, but the one who hit that officer was never found.

It's just too dangerous. By the way we have a new law this year that you have to move over to ambulances and wreckers as well. Same consequence. And we do have double fines when speeding while construction workers are at work on a construction site. Just too many accidents.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• ATTENTION, ALL JWMB FOLKS

A friend sent me an email this evening with an attachment consisting of a video that literally could save your life, so please do me (and yourself) a favor by watching the ABC broadcast all the way through. Oh, and pass on the info to everyone you know.

• I've seen this before. I checked the tires on my vehicles, and found them in better shape in age by about 4 to 6 years old, now and bought them a couple of years ago, and later. I balance them, rotate and keep the right amount of air. We go at much greater speeds today, and there is more wear and tear on them more than ever. We must show responsibility in maintance, but this story is alarming, no doubt.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• ATTENTION, ALL JWMB FOLKS

A friend sent me an email this evening with an attachment consisting of a video that literally could save your life, so please do me (and yourself) a favor by watching the ABC broadcast all the way through. Oh, and pass on the info to everyone you know.

Back in '06, while visiting my parents in NY, I borrowed my mom's car. While driving at around 65 MPH (posted speed limit), I had a blow-out. When the tire was taken off, it was shredded! Plenty of tread left, and anybody looking at it when I started out that day would never have suspected that a blow-out was in my future. When I went to Costco to have the tire replaced (the spare 'dough-nut' was SCARY to me!), they told me the tire was over 10 years old, and the others on the car should also be replaced, as the same thing could happen.

Shortly after that trip to my parents, I came upon the same video you shared, and you can bet I sent it to my parents (and everybody else on my email list) pronto. My parents lived, at the time, within about 3 miles of everything they ever did - doctors, work, church, shopping, etc. (They have sinced moved to Florida.) Hardly any wear and tear on tires; their tires looked great, but were an accident waiting to happen.

Not sure why I didn't think at the time to share here. Thanks, Jim, for looking out for us! :wub:

Mrs. C :angel1:

• My youngest (6-years-old) granddaughter received a puppy for Christmas that's called a Havanese, a breed that supposedly originated in Cuba. I swear, that little squirt is about the cutest pup I've ever seen. I'm not really a "dog person" but this little gal sure is tempting. The thing that makes me hesitate is the cost. My son told me they paid $600. for that pup, which IMO is an outrageous price for a dog, for gosh sakes.

Anyway, the thing that inspired this post was this article. Don't know if Havanese are featured in the Westminster show but if they're not, they sure oughta be as they're adorable in every respect.

• I've never understood why those idiot power companies don't bury their lines rather than having to undergo this situation every time there's an ice or snow storm.

• I've never understood why those idiot power companies don't bury their lines rather than having to undergo this situation every time there's an ice or snow storm.

Cheaper! Don't get me wrong but that would be their answer. Though I would think like you it would be cheaper to bury them so they wouldn't go through what they do in cases like that.

Cheers :cool:

- John Wayne quote

• Given the general paranoia surrounding airport security in general, I'm sure this set off quite the pandemonium this morning. Hard not to feel sorry for the poor gal who forgot the gun was in her bag and wound up in the slammer facing felony charges.

Woman had gun in bag at Pinellas airport, deputies say

TBO.com

Published: May 15, 2010

CLEARWATER - Kristy Louise Grove was preparing to board a flight at St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport this morning when something in her carry-on bag caught the attention of screeners, authorities said.

A .25-caliber Raven handgun with six bullets.

Grove, a 38-year-old marketing director, was trying to board an Allegiant Air flight to Chattanooga, Tenn., the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office said. She told deputies she forgot the gun was in her bag.

Grove was arrested on a charge of carrying a concealed firearm.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/20…port-deput/news-breaking/

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• This is what happens when idiot drivers tailgate. And there are lots of idiot drivers out there nowadays.

A spokeswoman for the National Transportation Safety Board said a team of 14 investigators will look into the accident and try to determine if there's a broader safety issue.

Like maybe 'distracted' driving, along with possibly high speed?? In addition to obvious tailgating (or at the very least not observing adequate following distance). I wonder if they came around a curve and onto that accident, because it seems that there are at least two traffic lanes. How terrible!