There are 34 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,910 times. The latest Post () was by DakotaSurfer.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This thread was prompted by Stumpy (Jim) in another thread. John Wayne on screen was John Wayne in real life. We loved him because he was REAL.

Are there any actors out there that fit in this topic? Let's start out (for Kevin) that Kevin C****** is not real. Why was he not real? Who are others out there that are real? Do you think Mel Gibson is real? Or maybe Tom Hanks? How about Will Smith?

What do you think is just as real on screen as they are in real life? Here is an example of someone who was not real in the past. I think (IMO) Joan Crawford is never a real person. She was very difficult to work with but on screen you just loved her. Well some of you did. Tell me what you think.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I think by their very nature there are no real actors. The ones who portray an sense of reality on screen are usually the ones that have their marbles.

Most of the rest "past" and "currrent" are INSECURE have emotional package or dependancies like drink or drugs.

Mike

• IMO, some whose screen personality probably came close to their real personality were (are) June Allyson, Katherine Hepburn, Victor McLaglen, Fred Astaire, James Garner, Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, Mickey Rooney, Andy Devine, Ben Johnson and of course our own beloved John Wayne. There may be some others I've overlooked.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• as is Robert Deniro, Robert Duvall, Clint Eastwood, Al Pacino. Billy Crystal. and of course Ron Howard. I believe all these men to be real.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• Al Pacino maybe...
    Ron Howard for directing...
    But Billy Crystal, please! I'd put Robin Williams in there before Billy.

• Are there any actors today that fit in that category? I can see Robert Duvall and Clint Eastwood, sort of, but what is your opinion about Clive Owen?

By the way, has Duvall and Eastwood ever done a movie together? They are pretty old, but I was wondering.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hii

Doris Day probably was much the same in real life as she was on the screen, as was Debbie Reynolds and Barbara Stanwyck, another one who comes to mind is Lauren Bacall.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Are there any actors today that fit in that category?

For various reasons, I stopped going to movies in theaters several years ago. Too much expense and too much hassle, i.e., cell phones, kids [and adults] talking, etc. I also don't like all the filthy language and sex in way too many of today's films.

Anymore, I rely mostly on reviews I read online and in some publications to judge whether or not I'd like to view a film and then I rent the DVD when it's released. If I like it, I buy it. If not, I'm only out the cost of a rental [usually 2 or 3 dollars].

As a result of no longer attending movies like I once did, I'm really not all that familiar with the newer generation of actors so can't render a reliable judgement about their on-screen versus "real" personality. I just know there are some I've seen that impressed me with their performances in certain movies.

• I don't think that Tom Hanks was mentioned yet. Also, Cuba Gooding, Louis Gosset Jr, Charlton Heston, Brian Keith, Lloyd Bridges, Sir John Mills, James Coburn, Jon Voight, Klaus Lowitsch, Maximilian Schell, James Mason and Richar Widmark; come to mind.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi

Not sure about Maximillian Schell as a man in life. I seem to remember that he worked with or around the young Natalie Wood and took one of her bracelets for a joke, except he never returned it, sounds scary and slightly sick.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• You guys are good at listing the actors of the past, but I'd like to know if there are any out there today. To be honest, I am like Jim (Stumpy), I don't keep up with the current actors like I use to, so I may be limited in who I know.

Of course, I do include women in this list as well. I sometimes think of Meryl Streep, or Sissy Spacek, as maybe examples of those who are real.

What do you think of Morgan Freeman on that list?

- John Wayne quote

• I sometimes think of Meryl Streep, or Sissy Spacek, as maybe examples of those who are real.

What do you think of Morgan Freeman on that list?

I'd have to agree with all three of your examples, especially Spacek and Freeman.

• Too many actors today rely on special effects, computer generated doubles or computer generated stunts. If it's a movie like Million Dollar Baby where there was no special effects than it could qualify as a good movie but even Flags of our Fathers which was an excellent movie still had to rely too much on computer generated scenes which takes the skill out of the acting. Take the same kind of movie and go back several years when they did movies like The Longest Day which had battle scenes or Sands of Iwo Jima, they both required good acting, directing and not a bit of special effects, the computer generated kind that is. It's just not the same anymore. And they gets millions for the stuff they call acting nowadays.